55-59 chevy trans crossmember adjustment caused by mustang II suspension upgrade - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2010, 06:04 PM
56' Chevy Streetrod

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

55-59 chevy trans crossmember adjustment caused by mustang II suspension upgrade

Hey guys, I recently installed a Mustang II front end on my 56 Chevy truck, I installed it based on the instructions. Now I have run into a problem with my trans crossmember sitting to far back. Is this normal?? Its only about 2 inches or so off. Should I move the crossmember up or just weld some tabs to the front of the crossmember to make it work??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2010, 09:32 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

move this thread over to basics for maybe some more views and suggestions
Old 08-29-2010, 09:52 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Quote:
Originally Posted by vortectim
Hey guys, I recently installed a Mustang II front end on my 56 Chevy truck, I installed it based on the instructions. Now I have run into a problem with my trans crossmember sitting to far back. Is this normal?? Its only about 2 inches or so off. Should I move the crossmember up or just weld some tabs to the front of the crossmember to make it work??
This falls into the same category as an engine swap in my opinion. What I do there, because the transmission usually doesn't match the car, is to use the ends of the crossmember that belong to the car and the center part of another crossmember that belongs to the transmission. So I have 3 pieces. I bolt in the outer two pieces to the car, slide the motor trans into position with the center piece of the crossmember bolted to the transmission and then just connect the whole mess together as one piece with a MIG. Presto, low-buck crossmember that works.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:47 AM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

I must be missing something here. Having installed a few Mustang II IFS systems in the past I have to wonder what is causing your trans crossmember to be out of line? Did the IFS installation interfere with your stock engine mounts?? I suppose if you're still using an original block with he front mounts it could have. Just wondering how this happened.
Old 08-30-2010, 05:40 PM
56' Chevy Streetrod

Last photo:

These crossmembers are the originals to the truck and they are still riveted to the frame. The previous owner did an engine swap to a 350 and just welded some tabs to the front crossmember and made it a front mount engine. The engine and trans was fine at that point. Now I have the mustang II suspension in there and welded it in by the instructions measurements and the transmission crossmember is now 2 inches to far back. Is this normal?? Am I suppose to have to move the trans crossmember forward??
Old 08-30-2010, 06:03 PM

Last photo:

Mounts

Hey Tim, Most of the time when folks do a MII conversion they go to side mounts and a new transmission crossmember. If you're staying with stock engine and transmission mounts then you will need to move the engine mounts forward to allow the bellhousing mounts to line up. Sounds like the front mounts are in the wrong place. I'll post photos of my setup if you want. I converted to side mounts and a new transmission crossmember, but I don't do Mustang 2. olnolan
Hey, Read the 55-59 thread by doubledick, it covers alot of material on 55-59 modifications with good photos. olnolan

Last edited by OLNOLAN; 08-30-2010 at 06:15 PM. Reason: 55-59 group
Old 08-30-2010, 06:47 PM
56' Chevy Streetrod

Last photo:

Yes sir, thank you!! Thats what I needed to hear. Yes I am about to weld in side mounts to my front crossmember. I just wanted to make sure this was a normal thing. No site or instructions say that this has to happen. Thanks for the help!!
Old 08-30-2010, 06:58 PM

Last photo:

???????????

Hey Tim, I don't think you'll be able to make a side mount setup off the OE front crossmember, I will have to be off the MII crossmember or the frame.olnolan
Old 08-30-2010, 08:19 PM
56' Chevy Streetrod

Last photo:

No wait, I already removed the original front crossmember. haha, I replaced it with the MII. All thats in my frame right now is the MII and the original trans crossmember. Im going to weld the new motor mounts to the MII and move the trans crossmember up.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:35 PM

Last photo:

??????????

Hey Tim, I still don't see why you need to move the OE trans crossmember. If you're gonna use the original bellhousing mounts, just weld the engine mounts in with the bellhousing location as your template. The engine mounts don't have to be dead centered on the MII crossmember, seems they could be offset slightly without a problem. olnolan
Old 08-30-2010, 08:36 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

I would set the motor back as far as you can, Leaving enough room between the heads and firewall.. You want just enough room to take the dist out if you had too.. Plus it better for performance..I don't think your side mounts will fall on the crossmember,, I maybe wrong, But I don't think they will..
Old 08-30-2010, 10:45 PM
56' Chevy Streetrod

Last photo:

View my picture. This is what I have to work with. When I bolted my transmission up, the entire side mount motor mounts ended up being just behind the crossmember.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0091.JPG
Views:	154
Size:	1.75 MB
ID:	47815  
Old 08-30-2010, 11:17 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

build your mounts off the inside of the frame..
Old 08-31-2010, 07:55 AM

Last photo:

Oh, Ok

OK, I see what you're working with now. Like Randy said, you may need to go inside the frame with something like these;http://www.heidts.com/_uploaded_file...10_catalog.pdf
or like my homemade;
OLNOLAN
Old 08-31-2010, 03:55 PM
56' Chevy Streetrod

Last photo:

Ok thanks guys!!!

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.