Hot Rod Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

55-59 Chevy Truck Column Shift

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  ogre 
#1 ·
Hey everyone,

First of all thanks for taking the time to read this.

I have a '58 Chevy truck that I am doing an engine swap with a 350 and TH400 Transmission. I would like to use the original steering column and column shifter. Has any one done this and can suggest the proper steps?

I wanted to use one of the Loakr type column shift linkages but when I removed the original linkage I noticed the shift rod does not extend past the firewall.

Is there another kit out there for this, an extension maybe? Also I have considered finding a straight rod the same diameter as my shifter to weld on as an extension... Thoughts? Thanks in advance. Rich

#2 ·
If your present column shift is a 3 speed manual, then it's pretty simple to fabricate one of the rods from the shifter, to operate the shift arm on the TH400. Go to a wrecking yard and get a rod off an older car or truck with automatic trans, and simply splice your truck's rod to the automatic rod. You can thread both rods, and use a coupler nut to connect them, once you figure out the proper length.
I'd also get a indicator made up for the column, so you know what gear you're in.

#3 ·
i don't see why it wouldn't work
you won't have the column lockouts and there won't be any safety mechanisms
typical column you pull up to come out of park and no neutral safety switch, though the nss could go on the trans
typically once in drive you have to pull up to go into lower gears, it may choose a lower gear by going over railroad tracks

as for the PRNDLL, ididit has stick on prndll and indicators
i use this for my 58 truk with astro column, though on a stock column you'd need to adapt to the small diameter

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.