Hot Rod Forum banner

55 to 59 chevy truck owners

935K views 3K replies 212 participants last post by  DOUBLEDICK 
#1 · (Edited)
My name is Richard Johnson and I am building my second Apache truck.I drive this truck every day and am doing everything I can to make it a pleasure to drive and still be a good work truck.I like modern drive trains and stock body and interiors.I am looking for other guys that have and drive these trucks to talk to and share Ideas and designs for custom made parts with.I have sent private messages to a few people on this board and only one person responded.At his request I sent him pictures of my custom sway bar mounts so he could make some for his truck.Without sway-bars these trucks are no fun to drive.I am curious to see what others have done and share ideas.

Attachments

See less See more
#2,329 ·
sweet truck oregonite... :thumbup:
clean, i like clean

your avatar looks lite blue, looks good in white too.

right click on any of my pics and look at the properties.
i use photobucket.com for picture hosting.
it's free and allows me to use my pics in many forums
i can email or post a link; good for forums that don't allow picture attachments
or i can use the img format to post on sites like this

here is my photobucket.com album
mostly truck pics but a little of everything there.
i can also send direct from my dumb phone to photobucket thus the mobile upload folder

#2,331 ·
Oreg. Chevy truck.

Nice looking ride. Looks smooth. Did you keep the stock location for the master cylinder. And moved the battery. I think the location of the stock mastercylinder is a pain. But is easy to move? What is the front end out of? Or is it a kit thing? I would like to go theway of power steering too. Cranking the wheel at a stop is a real arm builder. Like toknow more about your build. And your radio is a good spot. I got the stock look but with a cd. Not by choice. The body guy installed it. But he forgot to install the mirror on the windshield. After busting and charging me for 3 windshields. Live and learn. I would have never found this great site or saw your awesome fleetside.
Zoer88

#2,332 ·
Oreg. Chevy

Hey, zoer88 again,
what steering colum did that come from that is the perfect set up. Is it tilt? Doesn't really matter looks really nice. The white really shows off the curves and sleek lines. Inside looks like a sleeper to be reconed with. I need of course a diffrent steering colum but I am not sure if I change that I don't know if a diffrent colum will fit in the steering box. Should have an adapter though? Got a question. I got a stock rear end can I just change the ring and pinion or is it
better just to swap the axle? Also does anyone know about swaping the drum brakes for disc brakes. It should pulling the drm and allthe componets and installing longer studs and rotor and caliper? Provided there is clearance? Just a thought. Imput is always appreciated!
Thanks.
Zoer88

#2,333 ·
Details

The front-end is a '81 Volare K- member. The tilt steering column is out of a '69 Firebird. I cut the key switch off of it and used the original ignition switch. I have a 3.73 geared '70 Camaro 10-bolt. Perfect width! The Mustang II master cylinder with an 8" booster is on the frame under my feet.

#2,334 ·
Hey guys,
I remember seeing this thread awhile back. I'll admit, I haven't covered all 150+ pages yet. Maybe when things get slow at work I'll get a chance.

To the good stuff.
I bought my 57 in 98. I got it from a guy outside of Spartenburg, SC. It had a non stock, leaky 283 and was an over all wreck. I drove it for a few months and took it all apart.

Fast forward to present day...

I like to lurk this board. I am not a pro. And I ask alot of amateur questions. I love old school hot rods. Some boards are really critical and some people into the hobby are elitists which I just dont understand. I like to have fun with my old truck. end of story.

I look forward to shooting the breeze with yall.

#2,337 ·
hey guys, still in the planning phases here, trying to get everything lined up for when i get home from this deployment, in another month, as some of you may know, i'm about to do final body and paint when i get back, im trying to decide if i want to do the under the bed fuel tank. I like the idea of getting the tank out from behind the seats and maybe relocating the battery there. My internet is slow as hell so i cant search much... what do you guys think about this kit

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1955...tZVintageQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

it looks like almost everything i need ecxept the fuel lines and maybe a pump, correct? I think if i am going to do it i will definatly need to do it before i do paint and body so i can figure out how to delete the stock filler cap... any ideas/tips/hints on that?

Thanks again everyone for all your help, it is a real PITA having slow internet, lol

#2,338 ·
ogre said:
nice fast forward sir-loin
custom vehicle tag? was that a have to or is that similar to a historic tag?

I went to get my truck inspected awhile back and the tech busted my balls over a bunch of little details. The kicker was the altered and lowered suspension. He told me he wouldnt inspect the truck because It has been modifed beyond stock. Maine has "street rod" plates, but they have a pre 49 cut off. The Custom tag was only 5 bucks more and I can do whatever I want at anytime to it.

I have yet to see another one either.

#2,341 · (Edited)
Bowtiez84 said:
Anyonw know where or have the outer grill piece for a 55 2nd series 3100?? All i need is the outer ring in fairly good condition.

yeah, keep checking SF Bay area craigslist, the guy i picked my truck up from lives in Petaluma, he has a couple of random Task Force parts including what you are looking for, word of warning though, when you talk to him on the phone he sounds like a tweaker and is incredibly hard to get OFF the phone with, then when you see him he is just a really hyper stoner who has smoked too much of his "medicine" lol, but he has parts and needs cash. I have his email adress at home somewhere, i'll try to have my wife look for it.

****Edit****

I found another post of his, doesnt have the grill listed but he may still have it, email him, he has a bit of stuff, some of it is crap some of it is good, the grill looked to be in good condition i think, i'll pm you the link

#2,342 ·
ogre said:
evilbeef
i bought a similar 21 gal tank from no limit engineering nolimit.net with in tank efi pump, gauge and side filler for $450 (in 2004)
i had some problems with the tank but i think they have fixed the problems now.
they had put the wrong type of fuel line inside the tank and it disintegrated after 3 mths
write them direct customerservice@nolimit.net

thanks for the info, anyone else have any experience with these? what else is needed for this kit, the fuel lines and sender? anyone have any experience with the ebay tanks?

#2,343 ·
Bowtiez84 said:
Anyonw know where or have the outer grill piece for a 55 2nd series 3100?? All i need is the outer ring in fairly good condition.
I have the complete grill, its painted and in decent condition. I will be taking to pomona swap meet on the 17th of april. let me know if your interested. I was gonna ask 50.00 for the whole thing.

#2,344 ·
How to get hinges out

DOUBLEDICK said:
fasteddy51 I just looked at www.classicparts.com and clicked on the 55 to 59 catalog.they have the bolts you want.Page 17.I have the 58 boxed in out back so I cant even open the doors without moving the motor home.I cant take pictures right now.Good luck.post pictures when you can :thumbup:
Good advice but I can't figure out how to get my stock hinges out. What the secret the heads are round with no slots and the bolts are in a place that no wrench is getting to?

#2,345 ·
Nice ride Richard. My name is Travis an I'm building a 57 step side. I put it on a 59 shortbed frame. So far got the TCI front IFS under it an the TCI rear leaf lowering kit too. Bought CPP power brake kit that mounts in the stock location under the floor. I've got a 355 with a Holley Systemax waiting to be put it an a 700r4. A rearend from a 77 Nova takes the place of the front load car rearend someone else had already swapped in. Looking forward to any info you or anybody else can offer me on here. :thumbup:

#2,351 ·
Am Interested In Your Item

Hello,
I saw your item posted on hotrodders Classifieds Ad and am very much interested in buying the item from you and i will be glad if you can get back to me with the item condition and final asking price. More also i will be paying you by US certified checks or bank transfer or money order i hope that's OK by you so i will like you to get back to me so i can arrange with the shipper that will pick up the item and make a necessary arrangement about the payment.....But firstly please kindly get back to me with answer to the following question:
Full Name:
Home Address:
City:
State:
Zip-code:
The last asking price of the item:
Phone Number:

you can get back to me true my email abelfred80@yahoo.com

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.