Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 55 to 59 chevy truck owners
View Single Post
Old 04-29-2011, 05:20 PM
the 'Duracell Project'

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

shaved cowl vent

oregonite & dsraven
unless you have the deluxe heater, there is no fresh air to the heater. my vintage air unit has no connection to it either.
once you seal up the cowl vent and cut out the vent doors, you can put some awesome kick speakers in there too.

number 1 reason for shaving the cowl vent:
water in the cowl vent is why our truck need hinge pocket repair, front cab corner repair and why our floors are rusted out. water, leaves and pine needles get in there and create a mess. this slime rusts out all three panels in the cowl.

i made my own panel out of the cowl vent. i carefully hammered the semi-louvers flat; not enough to change the shape of the vent panel its self. my cab was sand blasted, so i sprayed some bed liner in there for rust prevention. then smuck a layer of fiber hair filler on both sides, then i welded it in the cowl and finished it with regular filler. run a bead of seam sealer on the flange that goes under the windshield rubber before welding it in.

number 2 reason for shaving the cowl vent:
it looks freaking awesome...
it's one of those mods that you have to know what your looking at to see it.