Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 55 to 59 chevy truck owners
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2011, 08:18 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDuffy
I have a 1957 Chevy Pick-up that i am restoring. This is my first rebuild project, and am looking to make it a nice show truck/ casual driver.
I have a Chevy 327 small block to put in it.

The question i have is, i have the original I-beam front suspension on it, i want to keep that but upgrade it. I have been told that you can get a power-steering box conversion and disk brakes for it. Is this a good way to go to keep costs low? Also will the stock rear end be able to hold up to the 327?

Any tips or information will be extremely appreciated.

Thank You
Michael
I'm going in the same direction with my 56. Straight axle, disc and PS.
Axle- install new king pins and check/replace tie rod ends for wear.
Disc Brakes- Speedway sells a kit for $250, but will give you a 5 on 4.75 bolt pattern. You will also need a dual master cyl and $80 bracket to mount MC. Also replumb the lines
Power Steering- $100 kit has steering arm and link. Mid 80's chevy truck box (g body pitman arm) with universal to tie steering shaft to factory column. Bottom of column needs a bearing installed at the bottom.
IMO the factory column needs to be shortened a bit to lower the steering wheel.
Rear axle has a 3.90 gear. You need an OD for highway driving. S10 T5 is an easy swap.
Or change to a 70-92 camaro rear axle. Welding spring pads is needed. 87 thru 92 6 cyl camaros have a 3.23 or 3.42 gear