Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 55 to 59 chevy truck owners
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2011, 09:13 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

ok, I got it figured out. duh, if I would have looked at both fenders in the first place....I would have seen the difference.
the gmc fenders have a depressed area on the rim of the grill opening so the grille extension that houses the gmc signal light, (that goes out over and covers the big round hole in the fender used by the chev models for a turn signal), will have somethoing to bolt to on the inboard end of the extension. there is also a hole on the outside part of the fender that chevy trucks don't have that is used to secure the outermost part of that grille extension. as well there are different holes in the upper rear area for different emblems to secure through.
you guys rock, if I could just get my brain to turn on maybe i could have figured it out all by myself. I have one gmc fender that has the depression and one chevy fender that doesn't.I remember when I was dissassembling the truck that only one side had a bolt in the inboard grille extension. I just wrote it off as missing in action, since alot of the body paryts were previously brazed together.
if you have any other tips for the brain dead Canadian, send em along.
hey, does anybody know the length of an original short box? I am planning on using a newer style box from a 88-98 chevy sportside, but they are 6 1/2 feet long. I will be cutting it down so a regular box will fit on if I don't like the look. I just need some measurements to know how long the original is and if it is centred on the rear end. my project is a long box truck that I want to put a short box on and then extend the cab out to fit properly with the new box. any help would be apprerciated.
dsraven