Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 55 to 59 chevy truck owners
View Single Post
Old 09-19-2006, 04:33 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Wow.I was beginning to think not many guys bothered with these trucks.Thanks for all the responses.As for the name doubledick The guys at work gave me that name as a form of harassment for being a butt all the time.They have called me that for so long now some of the guys at work don't even remember my real name.58 Apache I pull a trailer with my truck all the time.I used a 68 hidden hitch receiver from brothers trucks so I can hide it behind the plate.The 87 rearend I installed has the big 11 inch drums and uses the wide brake shoes.I run a power-trax locker with 4.56 gears and 31x10.5 tires.My truck is a work truck.I split the leaf spring pack and added a heavy overload leaf on top of the straight overloads and bolted it together with a new bolt.Now if the rear squats more than an inch it is on the overload leaf.The front and rear anti-sway bars and the traction control bars keep the trailer from pushing me around.I run coil-over Edelbrock sensatrack shocks on the back and coil over shocks on the front so it wont ride like a buckboard when it is empty.I do have the front disk conversion from brothers with the vacuum booster and have no problems stopping even when I had 2700lbs of sand in my trailer.Rear disks are nice but there is a reason semi's use drum style brakes.My truck is just a 58 Chevy 3100 but it weighs 6000lbs empty so a heavy trailer is not a problem,I just have to have a balanced trailer with very little tongue weight.You shouldn't have any trouble with a 1 ton suspension stock or modern.Your options are unlimited.A tape measure and a trip to the wrecking yard will help you find what you are looking for.Good hunting my friend.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0060 (600 x 450).jpg
Views:	560
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	15024