Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 55 to 59 chevy truck owners
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2006, 08:01 PM
DaveNTN

Last journal entry: The Dash is ready!
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

What a day. Decided to pull the engine today. First engine I've ever pulled. Left the transmission on figuring it would be better pulling them out together. Everything went pretty well until I found myself alone in my garage with the engine up in the air, my lift maxed out and another 12 inches to go to even think of clearing the front of the truck. Where is a good sky hook when you need one. I spent awhile just looking at my mess, then started working my way out of it. I got the front of the oil pan up on the cross member that the hood latches to, put a jack under the transmission with a 4 x 4 propped up against it holding it agains the firewall, put a chain around the hoist at the grab bar and put each end of the chain in the motor mounts. I actually got it to stay in this position long enough to drop the boom and get as much lift out of the hoist I could. Jacked it back up and just barely cleared everything. I was so glad to see that engine and trans sitting on the floor instead of 4 feet in the air. When I build my garage I'm putting in an I beam overhead with a hoist. Whew.... left the whole mess sitting in a puddle of transmission fluid. Gonna take the trans to be rebuilt and a shift kit installed. What a great opportunity for something bad to happen and didn't. Guess I'm just a little green when it comes to trusting a chain and a hoist holding that much weight over my truck.
Dave