Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 55 to 59 chevy truck owners
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2007, 11:57 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

dropped axle

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaggard
I've decided to drop the front of the 59 and I bought one of the lowering straight axles. I'm not sure it's going to lower it as low as I want it but I thought I'd give it a try. Soon as I get this Christmas stuff out of the garage I'll be starting the install. Also going to put disc front power brakes along with a new stronger tie rod and tie rod ends.... and rebuilding the king pins. I'll post to the journal. Thoughts are with you DD.
Dave
I would not spend the money on a dropped axle,as it will never handle like a sub framed conversion,even if you replace or rebuild the spring eyes, but if you do use a dropped axle, you can take every other leaf out of the springs both front and rear to soften the ride, as long as you don't use truck for heavy hauling, and keep speeds under 100 MPH, because it will never handle no matter what you do, I know because I tried..sub frames have disc brakes,independent suspension,power steering box's,sway bars,side mounts for the motor,etc.--STRAIGHT AXLES SUCK and are dangerous at high speeds...AND YES I ONCE LOST A TIE ROD END DRIVING DOWN THE ROAD

Last edited by handsome harv; 01-03-2007 at 05:15 PM.