Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 55 to 59 chevy truck owners
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2007, 08:48 PM
DaveNTN

Last journal entry: The Dash is ready!
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickriffs
Great read here. I have a 55 second series and have an interest in the power disc brake conversion, power steering and a dropped front axel. Always nice if you can find someone who did it to see how some of the available kits worked out. Anyone do the power disc conversion? Power rack and pinion conversion for straight axels? Mono front springs to lower the ride?

I've read most of this thread..hope I'm not asking something that was already answered.

Thanks,

Keith Lebo
Keith,
I'm doing a power disc brake conversion right now. I have the MC and booster mounted along with my pedal put back together. It was a kit from CPP. There are some holes to drill but as long as you have some good bits that shouldn't be a problem. The adjustment arm coming from the booster didn't allow me any adjustment. I had to turn it all the way in just to get the brake arm 1/4 inch from the firewall. You can cut the turnbuckle off about 1/2 an inch and fix that. The other thing was the turn buckle isn't really a turn buckle. It has right hand threads on both ends so you have to disconnect it from your pedal assembly to adjust. Kind of a wasted effort if you ask me. I was also told that the dropped straight axle will give you a better lowering job than the lowering springs. I'm having a set of springs made to drop an extra inch along with the 3 inch drop axle. I actually like the straight axle in this truck, but if you are going to change springs, axle, spindles and putting on power steering, I'd really consider the IFS front end. It won't cost much more to buy than all the components to rebuild the straight axle front end. Especially when you change out shackle bushings, heavy duty tie rod and ends etc.

DD, I figured there was an easy way to figure the travel but it never occured to me to measure the difference in the shock. Right now I'm fighting with a really tough Spring bolt. The one that goes through the front shackle and through the frame. Looks like I'll be buying a torch. Gonna have to get some heat on it. One side came apart easily and the other is like it's welded in place. Tried everything but the heat. Have some penetrating oil on it right now and I'll give it another shot tomorrow. Those bushings in the frame are going to be a devil to get out. Got any secrets on making it any easier? O well, it's nice to get Christmas out of the way and back to the truck. How is your wife doing?
See ya,
Dave