Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 55 to 59 chevy truck owners
View Single Post
Old 02-27-2007, 07:32 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

My Camaro Clip Experience

I have a Camaro clip in my '57 pickup. I paided $200.00 for the clip with a 1 1/8 sway bar. I put $900.00 in the clip to get all new parts including a Iroc Z steering box. I used 1 1/2" lowering springs to get the front end down a little more. This totals to $1100.00. A Mustange II runs about $1700.00 and up for a good one. I not sure that is even with a sway bar. I was stupid and paided $200.00 of this amount to get the bushings pressed in. I will do this my self the next time. This is now equivalent a new front end.

The front clip was tack welded into place within 4 hrs of starting the graphing processing. The subframe is absolutely the right width. My brother, Don, and I used the tape which shows you step by step how to do this but we choose not to narrow the clip but taper the clip into the truck frame. Plus we did not weld the horns back on the front of the frame. We just fabbed up our own brace for the core support. I made up a jig to locate the core support back to where it should be.

I did send quite a bit of time taking the front end apart as well as cleaning up the subframe and the control arms, swaybar, and spindles. Everything else was brand new.

These are the numbers and the effort to do a Camaro graph on a '57 Chevy pickup. You can see pictures on my site www.meyerbrosrods.com. I was thinking you would want as much info as possible to make an informed decision. Plus, the truck will handle and ride great with a Camaro front end.