Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 55 to 59 chevy truck owners
View Single Post
Old 02-27-2007, 10:29 AM
DaveNTN

Last journal entry: The Dash is ready!
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Nurple
Dave

The motor I'm putting in my 58 came out of my 68 Camero.It's a 350, I broke a rocker stud and didn't think to much about it. A week later I broke another stud. The motor came with the car so I didn't know what was in it only that it had solid lifters and ran really good. Come to find out the cam was .536 lift on the ex and .514 on the intake and it was the ex studs that were breaking.
Found out the stamped rockers didn't have enough slot for that size cam and were hitting the stud and was pushing (bending)the stud. Got some roller rockers -- problem fixed. I have been going through these post's real fast and might have missed it if you said what you found on your rocker problem.
Jim
JIm,
The motor I had was a freshly built 350 and had aluminum heads. Seems that the brass guide for the lifters was just a tad too long making the rocker slam the stud everytime it rocked. Seems the company had the problem with a number of heads they had sent out. I have the motor back but haven't got it back in to see how it does. Hope it has been taken care of. Thanks for the input... I'll check for that if I still have the problem.

DD... I go months working on the truck everyday, can't wait to get something in or hooked up or painted... then, boom, I don't want to look at if for days or weeks. That's what I enjoy about this whole thing. I'm at the age and position now that I work on it as I want to, not because I have to. As a matter of fact, when it isn't fun anymore I stop. I'd say the recliner and margarita thing is just what you need right now. Matter of fact... might lay off the old truck tonight, park in the recliner, glue to the remote and hit the bottle.

Dave

Last edited by dmaggard; 02-27-2007 at 10:42 AM.