Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 55 to 59 chevy truck owners
View Single Post
Old 02-27-2007, 11:57 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Nurple
Hello. I'm new to this bulletin board so I'm sorry if this has been asked a thousand times but I'm at work and can't read all the post's. I have a 58 Chevy short bed fleetside I'm getting ready to restore. I drove this truck for a couple of years before parking it 15-20 years ago. Two thing's I'm going to do before I ever drive it again is power steering and power brakes.I did see on an post that mid 70's camero and firebird front end's fit nice, I also have seen kit's for around $2500.00 new on the net. Any advise ? I have a welder but not a torch (yet). Thanks Jim
Herb the first thing you have to do is decide what you will do with your truck.I use my 58 as my daily driver and work truck.I am a Correctional Officer at Ely Maximum Security Prison just outside of town and my second job is carpet installation so my 58 is a self supporting project that I have to keep up and running.I live in the mountains were it snows(it is snowing right now).Up here if you lower your truck you can forget about driving it from September till May and the standard pot hole is a foot deep and 2 feet across.You can tell who the drunks are around here because they are the only one driving strait down the road (not driving around the pot holes).My truck is set up for towing a trailer and hauling a bed full of tools.Sometimes I even have to drive through the sage brush to get to the job site.I like to go to car shows and run it down the drag strip once in a while.Ely is a small town at 6500 feet elevation so I can get away with a high compression big block and 4.56 gears and only burn 15 gallons of gas a week.The down side is to bring the truck off the mountain I have to change the jets and needles in the carb to get it rich enough,bump my octane up to 93(minimum)and back off the timing to control detonation.It is hard to keep from getting too carried away on the high performance.I like the stock look for the body and interior but wont settle for it driving like a stock 58 apache.There are so many options available to you so decide what you want out of your 58 then build it to accommodate your wants and needs.Just don't forget to share your ideas and your pictures with us