Hot Rod Forum banner

55 to 59 chevy truck owners

937K views 3K replies 212 participants last post by  DOUBLEDICK 
#1 · (Edited)
My name is Richard Johnson and I am building my second Apache truck.I drive this truck every day and am doing everything I can to make it a pleasure to drive and still be a good work truck.I like modern drive trains and stock body and interiors.I am looking for other guys that have and drive these trucks to talk to and share Ideas and designs for custom made parts with.I have sent private messages to a few people on this board and only one person responded.At his request I sent him pictures of my custom sway bar mounts so he could make some for his truck.Without sway-bars these trucks are no fun to drive.I am curious to see what others have done and share ideas.

Attachments

See less See more
#580 · (Edited)
Hole in my frame

So you know I tore my truck apart and I am painting the frame. So I see on one of the rear cross members where the upper shock mount is for the passenger side that there is some "extra" steel bars and bolts for the shock mount. The other side is riveted on so I think something is up. Well there is... a hole...a big hole.

http://hotrodders.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/27535/cat/500/page/

Here is the hole cleaned up. You can see the cracks in the metal.
http://hotrodders.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/27537

So I grab the torch and cut out all the bad part plus the cracks. Here is the "new" hole. I am making a patch for this and will post some pics as I weld it in.

http://hotrodders.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/27539/cat/500/page/

I also updated my journal so you can blow these pics to see the cracks. Oh yea I also removed my exhaust too...sure make it nicer working on the frame.

#581 ·
Id like to clarify something:

is this body style only in 1955-57?

I know this thread addresses till 59 but i like the single head light with the big open mouth grill.

what model truck is that? is their only one model in those years? Im trying to find one but they are either expensive or not the body style i am looking for

#582 ·
Riot Racing said:
Id like to clarify something:

is this body style only in 1955-57?

I know this thread addresses till 59 but i like the single head light with the big open mouth grill.

what model truck is that? is their only one model in those years? Im trying to find one but they are either expensive or not the body style i am looking for
I would say it is a 1955 2nd series or a 1956 based on...

1955 2nd series had single headlights in front fenders. Fender side emblem is one piece and mounted below horizontal line on fender. (There were 2 models that came out in 1955 the 1st series (or 1st model ) looked like the 1954 model. The 2nd series had the new look to it, also called the "Task Force".

1956 is very similar to 1955 truck. Fender emblems are two piece and mounted above horizontal line on fender. Emblem on front of hood is longer on bottom than top. Front hood emblem has a cast in V if a V-8 truck.

1957 was similar to previous years but with the following changes. Fender emblems are now one piece mounted above horizontal line on fender. Front hood emblem is same as 1956 but paint scheme is reversed. Hood has two raised humps on top running front to back. The grille also changed from the 55-56 look.

Keep looking they are still out there. I have my eye on two of them right now and am waiting till I am done with my 55 2nd to buy another to hotrod.

Hope this helps,
James

#583 ·
These trucks are not cheep anymore. my dad bought the truck i have now 14 years ago for 700. he sold it to me for 1500, i know he should have sold it to me for 700 but i was willing to pay his price. 1500 got me a very solid truck, needed no severe frame work, mild sheet metal work, and alot of tlc!! you can find deals like that all the time. just keep your eyes out. im sure you will find what your looking for!

Mike

EDIT: i beleive chevy had a 3100, 3200, and 3600 for those years. i cant tell you exactly what it is but maybe james could look it up in his manual and tell you the difference.

#585 ·
Streamline55 said:
These trucks are not cheep anymore. my dad bought the truck i have now 14 years ago for 700. he sold it to me for 1500, i know he should have sold it to me for 700 but i was willing to pay his price. 1500 got me a very solid truck, needed no severe frame work, mild sheet metal work, and alot of tlc!! you can find deals like that all the time. just keep your eyes out. im sure you will find what your looking for!

Mike

EDIT: i beleive chevy had a 3100, 3200, and 3600 for those years. i cant tell you exactly what it is but maybe james could look it up in his manual and tell you the difference.
3100 & 3200 were 1/2 ton, 3200 was a long wheel base,3400 , 3500, 3700 were 3/4 ton forward control, 3600 was 3/4 ton

The one you have a pic of riot is a 3100 model. I see that you are in the LA area south of me. Look in the craigs list in the Santa Barbara county and San Luis Obispo county. There have been a few listed in there for a couple grand. I know two of them sold last month for $2000 for both. I think there is one in Morro bay for about $1800.

#587 ·
gator412 said:
3100 & 3200 were 1/2 ton, 3200 was a long wheel base,3400 , 3500, 3700 were 3/4 ton forward control, 3600 was 3/4 ton

The one you have a pic of riot is a 3100 model. I see that you are in the LA area south of me. Look in the craigs list in the Santa Barbara county and San Luis Obispo county. There have been a few listed in there for a couple grand. I know two of them sold last month for $2000 for both. I think there is one in Morro bay for about $1800.
thanks for the advice. I never thought of looking up that way. On craigslist i usually just search los angeles.
I am trying to find one close to me just to sit in. I may have to wait till the weather warms up and go to the local cruise nights just to do so, even then there are no guarantees that one of these models will show

#591 ·
Thanks Dave

Dave I will be pulling my front end off soon to clean and paint it. Do you have any advice? Also I have to go back thru this thread and look at DD's brackets for his sway bar. I am going to make a set for my truck.

I will be taking mine off soon and am wondering how hard it will be?

#592 ·
gator412 said:
Thanks Dave

Dave I will be pulling my front end off soon to clean and paint it. Do you have any advice? Also I have to go back thru this thread and look at DD's brackets for his sway bar. I am going to make a set for my truck.

I will be taking mine off soon and am wondering how hard it will be?
What will you be painting, the frame or the body? I take it you are working on the frame so that would be logical to be painting it first. Honestly, if you can sand blast any of the pieces, that's the way to go. If you can sandblast some or all of the frame... that's the way to go. If not... you need to sand down the frame. Once you have it sanded wipe it down with a good cleaning solvent and use an epoxy primer sealer. If you use the sealer the same day you are going to paint it... which is what I would recommend.. you won't have to sand the primer sealer. The epoxy bonds better to the bare metal than the paint, and the paint will bond better to the epoxy better than to bare metal. It's really according to how much you want to get into. You can also buy 10 cans of rustoleum and go to town. I epoxied my frame and then use a black urethane on top of that and I'm really pleased with it.
Hope I helped. There is no easier or better way in my opinion to prep a frame and frame related parts than with a sandblaster. Even a small one a little at a time.
Dave

#593 ·
Nice repair Gator :thumbup: Gator those front sway bar brackets are made of 1/2 plate steel and you will have to have longer u-bolts to put them on.My local NAPA store set me up with a couple.I took in my old one,they measured it and ordered me 2 new ones that were longer.Use a piece of cardboard to make one that works for your bar first then transfer it to steel.You know you have it right when you can turn it over and use it on the other side too.

#594 ·
Dave -Thanks for the info on the paint. Really what I was wondering about was the actual removal of the front axle and how difficult it was. I am using what I have for paint...granted most might shake their head but I am using a rustoleum primer and enamel. My funds are limited and so I "use what I got". Plus this is going to be my daily driver as my daughters are going to get the other vehicles soon.

DD - thanks for the tip on using the cardboard. I have a NAPA here that is really helpful so I will be going to them for the longer u-bolts. There is a shop here in my building that has a plasma cutter and If I give him a auto-cad drawing he can burn it out. I just need to see what he wants to charge. If it is too much I will use the torch and the grinder...or the saber saw. By the way DD you could have told me what page the pics of the brackets are on.....this thread is so long now. :thumbup: lol. I could look in your journal...oh yea...you haven't started one yet......... :eek:

#595 ·
Gator,
Nothin wrong with that. One of the reasons I spent the time and money on the epoxy and urethane is I wanted to work with it before I painted the dash and body panels. the rustoleum works great. As a matter of fact I used it on a number of the smaller pieces instead of mixing up a new batch of paint. They make a really good etching primer. You can pick up a small sandblaster for about 20 bucks and the parts look great. The front end was no problem coming apart at all. I had to heat up the threaded bushings in the frame to get them out but other than that, it is very simple. Goes back together fast and simple too. I replaced my entire front end. Check out the green etching primer in a can.

O. one more thing. If you take your time with the can paint, you can put a sweet finish on anything. The paint is going to be extremely thin so use less paint... more coats. Make sure and shake the can a good 3 minutes before you use it. Don't try to get it all covered with a couple of coats. Use more like 5 or 6 thinner coats. Just enough to wet it out. It will turn out great.

Dave

#597 ·
hey doubledick, gator and the rest of u that may be interested.
I had started a thread a while ago on which car to buy?
instead of starting a new thread i was thinking i would post some fothe trucks i come across on there to see what you think? basically i just want to know by looking at the pictures if the truck is worth what the seller is asking.

if your interested in helping me find one heres the link: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/should-i-buy-car-96205.html

gator, I searched craigslist and didn't even find one chevy. I wonder if there was something wrong in the way i searched/

#598 ·
Riot did you look under the auto section there are so many to choose from it can get confusing. Also did you search in the Santa Barbara and San Luis Obispo counties?

DD....DD's afraid of a journal, DD's afraid of a journal....nay, nay, nay nay nay.....lol

Dave, I have a small power coating set up I haven't used yet, but was going to on the smaller parts. I just got a used electric oven to do the "cooking" in. I do have a small bench sand blaster and a small gravity sand blaster.
As far as the primer and paint on the frame I went old school and brushed it on. I know its thick and who cares about the brush marks, your gonna have to brush the dirt away to see them later!

#600 ·
Hey 55-59 truck owners I have some questions
Doubledick and i had a short chat about some general questions about these cars that i would like to ask here.

At 6foot 6 inches tall, with a gas tank relocation, tilt steering wheel, a smaller dia. steering wheel and bucket seats what are my chances on being comfortable?

I am trying to see how much it cost to lower these trucks. what are my options and some price estimates. I honestly would prefer the more streetable option since this is going to be a daily driver.

I am not going to haul heavy things or put heavy items in the truck bed so i dont really need the leaf springs, but im sure a conversion would be expensive.

Who's journals have an installation guide for suspension upgrades to lower the truck. I'd like to get the truck to only be about 6-8 inches off the ground if reasonable, lower is better!!!

#601 ·
I would think with the gas tank removed, some comfortable seats that fit, tilt steering, and maybe modify the brake pedal... you should fit in a 55-59 comfortably. The suspension thing is a loaded question. There are many ways you can go there and you can spend whatever you want. I would guess your looking at a minimum of 1500 to 2000 to lower your truck properly and keep or upgrade your ride. Just from my experience. I'm sure there are others that can give you more info. Try the search option in the bulletin board and you'll probably find what your looking for. I just dropped mine about 4 or 5 inches from stock with a drop axle and lowering springs. If you go more than that you need to look at the IFS front suspension. Put bags on that and you can park it and lay it on the ground, but.. you won't be doing it for 1500 bucks.

DD aint got no time for no stinkin journal......

Dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.