55 to 59 chevy truck owners - Page 101 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2009, 12:50 PM
the 'Duracell Project'

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

that's a 65 frame. any frame you adapt will cost you a grand to fit it to the frame and rebuild the 45 yr old suspenssion. you will need to shorten the frame.

if you buy a 55-59 frame, your body will fit, if you buy a 55-59 truck, you can drive yours untill you get the cab & bed done. then take your front sheetmetal and put it on the frame. (i am partial to 58-59 quad lights). then sell all the parts you have left over on ebay.

anyone can do ebay.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2009, 02:09 PM

Last photo:

Happy Thanksgiving Everybody.Sorry I haven't posted in a while but it is crazy around here.I have to drive to Enterprise Utah in the morning and pick up a 58 Apache long bed step side that was given to me.These are the cell phone pictures sent to me with the invitation to come haul it off.It is on some property that was foreclose on and it has a bunch of old cars and trucks on it.These are abandoned vehicles and I can take what I want as long as I get it before January 1.They are going to crush everything that is still there after January 1.I will have to apply for a title but that wont be to hard.I don't need it but I could not pass up a deal like that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1121091030.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	42207   Click image for larger version

Name:	1121091030a.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	42208  
Old 11-26-2009, 03:00 PM

Last photo:

Ooooooh , Rich
Please let me know whats there, if it's a come get it or it will be crushed I may be interested in saving something from the crusher.
Gene
Old 11-26-2009, 03:44 PM

Last journal entry: pic
Last photo:

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

been a while since my last post but thought id give a quick update. i decided on an ifs from tci that im still waiting on. i was told 5 working days and it would be ready for pickup, i called last week and they said another 5, definitely before the holiday break(10 total). when i called yesterday they changed it up again and said "most definitely" monday(W.T.F.). this weekend would have been perfect, i was hoping to have a rolling chassis before i moved into the next part of my project but there aint no point in sitting around for people that cant hold commitments. how long do you guys think i should continue playing their game before i ask for my money back? i thought they were gonna be on point seeing as i had no problem getting my rear suspension kit with no problems, by the way i got my rear leaf suspension put together in about 10 hrs. thanks 57 1/2 ton and DD for the tip on the pinion angle.
so now ive moved to rust repair on my cab.
also im leaning towards a crate engine. anyone got any info as far as what to look for? my pockets aint deep so please keep that in mind.

by the way all your projects look great. wish i was as far along as most of you are.

cant wait for my first drive.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	rc3.JPG
Views:	143
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	42209   Click image for larger version

Name:	rc2.JPG
Views:	172
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	42210   Click image for larger version

Name:	rc1.JPG
Views:	174
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	42211  
Old 11-26-2009, 05:39 PM

Last photo:

J.Vale looking good.Keep up the good work.Ogre nice work.I plan to box my frame too.Gene I will take pictures and post them for you.Enterprise is on route 219 just north of Cedar city Utah.
Old 11-27-2009, 10:26 AM
the 'Duracell Project'

Last photo:

DD your freebies are better than what i started with. luck of the devil? anything around here is %50 gone or worse. i only have ~20 miles on my truck, but hoping the boxed frame will improve handling.

jvale; are those new springs? i see a flipped axle. what axle did you use? i like what i see. people don't understand the work to get to that point.
Old 11-27-2009, 06:01 PM

Last photo:

I made it home with my truck I was too late to get the 71 cutlas or the 47 dodge truck Most of the rest was 80's scrap metal(Cadillac,cavalier and jap junk).There was an old dodge power wagon but what wasn't missing was bent or a pile of rust,even the frame was twisted.I was lucky to get to the 58 first The bed is damaged in a few places and the hood was destroyed but the cab and front clip are cherry Doors have minor damage to the leading edge but nothing that cant be easily fixed.I will post pictures tomorrow when the sun comes back up.
Old 11-27-2009, 09:24 PM
Wanabe Mechanic

Last journal entry: 55 chevy 2nd series truck
Last photo:

Hey Ogre I like your trucks and Ideas. How did you smooth out the cowl vent? I would like to do that also or try to. Thanks Lil John
Old 11-28-2009, 10:31 AM

Last journal entry: pic
Last photo:

ogre, yeah those are new 4" lowering springs, the kit came with everything in the picture. although the instruction were a little confusing it wasnt to hard to figure out. i had to cut all the old hangers and brackets and mount the ones provided due to the springs being 1/2" wider than the factory ones. a few of the old rivet holes were used to align the new hangers so all the guess work as to where to position them was taken out. all for just $512.
im with lil john though, we need tips on smoothing out our cowl vent. ive started replacing my lower hinge boxes and i would really love it if i never have to do it again.

lil john, were both in the same boat as far as our wives go, mines 8 months pregnant, so im really tryin to do as much as possible before d day.

nice truck DD, what are your plans, rebuild? with that new garage at home i imagine youll have it done in no time. wish i had a garage i could work out of and not have to worry about making it home at a decent hour. i cant complain though, im doing my frame off resto at my work. my boss has been real cool about my parts taking up some space. did i mention i have a machine shop at my disposal? only problem is ive never done anything like this before and sometimes i feel like im with my first girlfriend, dont know what to do just figure it out as i go.

so keep the ideas and info coming.

off to work i go.....
Old 11-28-2009, 09:16 PM

Last photo:

J.Vale Actually because of the zone variances to build the shop it has to be finished to fire code before the 58 fleet side can go inside and get finished.That should take me about a year.The 58 step side is a project for my son he is 13.I plan to shorten the frame on my 98 by 19 inches,(58-123 inches 98-142 inches)cut down the rear drive shaft and put the 58 step side cab and bed on it.My 22 year old son crashed the 98 into a guard rail,bounced across the road and hit the other guard rail so the body on the 98 is trashed.I bought it back from the insurance company for $1050 after they totaled it with $6500 in damage.Whats left of the 98 is a low mileage fuel injected v8 4 wheel drive with after market rear sway bar.
Old 11-29-2009, 07:53 PM
1955 2nd series Chevy Pick Up

Last journal entry: Body work and U bolts
Last photo:

Hey DD I see that the "new" truck has a bed mounted spare. If your son doesn't want it maybe we can make some sort of deal. I am looking for a bed mounted holder and fender. I need a road trip anyway!
Old 11-30-2009, 10:07 AM
the 'Duracell Project'

Last photo:

shaved cowl vent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil John
Hey Ogre I like your trucks and Ideas. How did you smooth out the cowl vent? I would like to do that also or try to. Thanks Lil John
thanks lil john & j vale. i was going to weld a piece in the cowl vent, but the wiper bezels are in that piece. after refering with our in house body men;
i sandblasted, hammered the louvers down, coated both sides with fiberglass filler, primed, heavy tack welded it in place, more fiber filler and then finished it as usual.
careful hammering the louvers. this is a compound curve, i did not hammer them flat.
fiber filler; duraglass or any kittyhair product.
weld it in to avoid seam cracks. heavy tacks all around, keep it cool you don't want to heat the filler.
use a good seam sealer under the front edge that screws down

nice thing is, you can cut out your inside vents to make room for speakers. if anyone does this, save the vent door frame, door and any hardware. these are hard to find items for the guys who restore these trucks.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:33 AM

Last photo:

4x4 cont

Hey Gene,
What rear axle did you use for your 4x4 project. I have the original axle on my truck and the front one is from a 1977 Blazer. I see that the front axle is about 4" wider than the rear. I assume I need to get a wider rear axle? Or is there a way to use the original rear axle and some how get rims to make the tires "even" on width?

Anyone have any ideas on this?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Copy of 100_1501.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	42270   Click image for larger version

Name:	Copy of 100_1502.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	42271   Click image for larger version

Name:	Copy of 100_1503.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	42272  

Last edited by gator412; 11-30-2009 at 10:35 AM. Reason: added pics
Old 11-30-2009, 04:50 PM

Last photo:

So I tried to buy some axle u bolts from the normal places, autozone, napa, etc with no luck. Most of the guys didn't know what I was talking about. So I went to a spring shop here in town on my lunch break and they made u bolts while I waited. It took all of 10 minutes to make 4 of them. They charged a total of $54.34 for all four with new nuts for them. Sweet deal.

I forgot to mention I picked up the top plate for the u bolts yesterday from the junkyard along with the attached sway bar. They came off a 70's suburban.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_1504.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	42274  

Last edited by gator412; 11-30-2009 at 05:04 PM.
Old 11-30-2009, 06:50 PM

Last photo:

Gator , The rearend I used was out of the same 72 Chevy 1/2 ton that my front axle and transfer case and drive lines came from. I think you can use a rearend from up to a 87 , you just have to make sure the gear ratio is the same as the front.
J.Vale , Is there a plan to reinstall a crossmember back in the end of your frame rails above the rear spring hangers or close. I took the crossmembers out of mine when I did the four bars, air bags and gas tank and the ends of the rails spread out and twisted out so after the gas tank was in I put a crossmember back in. If you can I would put the big heavy one back in.
Gene

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.