55 to 59 chevy truck owners - Page 103 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2009, 08:54 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Hey Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Vale
been a while since my last post but thought id give a quick update. i decided on an ifs from tci that im still waiting on. i was told 5 working days and it would be ready for pickup, i called last week and they said another 5, definitely before the holiday break(10 total). when i called yesterday they changed it up again and said "most definitely" monday(W.T.F.). this weekend would have been perfect, i was hoping to have a rolling chassis before i moved into the next part of my project but there aint no point in sitting around for people that cant hold commitments. how long do you guys think i should continue playing their game before i ask for my money back? i thought they were gonna be on point seeing as i had no problem getting my rear suspension kit with no problems, by the way i got my rear leaf suspension put together in about 10 hrs. thanks 57 1/2 ton and DD for the tip on the pinion angle.
so now ive moved to rust repair on my cab.
also im leaning towards a crate engine. anyone got any info as far as what to look for? my pockets aint deep so please keep that in mind.

by the way all your projects look great. wish i was as far along as most of you are.

cant wait for my first drive.
Hey Jaybird, Great work on the chassis. The place you're working in is like a Mansion compared to my lil runt sized shop. Ha,olnolan

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2009, 09:01 PM

Last photo:

Me Too

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57halfton
Zimmo , I love that big Olds in your truck, I had a 57 4X4 years ago and I put a 455 Olds in it , loved it tons of torque.
Gene
Hey Zimmo, Saw your dropped axle thread. This is new, didn't know you had a 455 in it, I like it. I like the way your new album setup works. I ain't too swift when it comes to page setup and photo inserts, etc. Great job. olnolan
Old 12-02-2009, 11:22 PM

Last photo:

Thanks.. I put the 455 in about 20 years ago when the 283 cracked a cyl. My new 455 will be pro built, but it will wear vintage speed parts from the late 60's - early 70's. I'm also going to ditch the Auto trans & install a 4 speed muncie.

My goal is to make this truck look like it was hot-rodded in 1970, down to the N50 rear tires. Kinda like someone would do coming home from Vietnam. I just got my new W-30 cam!! Click on the link below for a short video & so you can hear how my 59 will sound

http://59chevypickup.webs.com/apps/v...tage-road-test

Thanks for the complement on the website

Last edited by Zimmo; 12-02-2009 at 11:36 PM. Reason: add
Old 12-03-2009, 09:30 AM

Last photo:

Zimmo nice truck I really like the color.
Old 12-03-2009, 11:11 AM

Last photo:

Hey thanks. It was painted over 20 years ago, I think the color is the same as the '67 Chevelle Buternut yellow. It really works with the white trim.

When I get it done again, it will be either the 67 vette sunfire yellow, or 68 vette safari yellow.
Old 12-03-2009, 02:52 PM
the 'Duracell Project'

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLNOLAN
Duracell is a cool build. I like it. Keep up the pics.olnolan
thanks olnolan, it's been a 7 yr labor of love (or lust)

lot's of pics in photobucket.com or search for _ogre
there are a lot of my fiberglass build pics there too
Old 12-03-2009, 07:31 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLEDICK
Zimmo nice truck I really like the color.
Doubledick, tell me about you front sway bar - does it make a difference? What brand? Thx...

Old 12-03-2009, 07:50 PM
the 'Duracell Project'

Last photo:

cool! just checking my avatar

custom avatar check
Old 12-03-2009, 08:16 PM
1955 2nd series Chevy Pick Up

Last journal entry: Body work and U bolts
Last photo:

Hey zimmo nice truck. I have (or had) the same swaybar set up at DD. I bought mine from Brothers and made the custom mounts from DD's design. It makes a world of difference on the handling. I also have a rear sway bar also. I am sure DD will chime in here shortly about his sway bar.

I installed my new 4wd front axle. Its bolted in with new u-bolts and sway bar. The sway bar was from a 70's suburban. I am trying to find some roller rims for the front. My daughter cleaned out the side yard and my 6 bolt front rims got tossed....by me. Sad sad day...I threw out good parts.

So guys I am getting ready to install my motor, sm465 4 speed tranny with a 205 transfer case in my truck. Whats the best way to locate the whole drive train. I will be using a 2 piece drive shaft due to my long bed. I remember someone saying to move the engine forward about an inch so an after market distributer will fit. Plus they had a easy way to locate the engine.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:24 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLNOLAN
Hey Gator Man, Got some catching up to do, since I got back from Dega I been in a funk. I'm jealous cause ya'll are making progress on your trucks. Ain't got the cash to do much on the truck, but I pet it everyday and have a few root beers to plan it. Been to Southland in Houma a few times for some of the big events back in the day. But we got old faithful State Capital Dragway alot closer w/ NHRA events. I like to just go on test and tune or grudge match nights. We also have a newer dragstrip in Belle Rose called No Problem Raceway. They built that place on some high ground surrounded by a swamp full of alligators. Its real nice but I'm waiting for a alligator to get on the track someday. Ha. Nolan Oh, I just finished eating a big bowl of red bean gumbo. I bet you ain't never ate it. And you gonna freeze your butt off in Alaska. Later
Nolan...Southland drags is where I saw my first drag race. My brother in law had a 1970 Mustang Mach 1. It was sweet and he was a ford mechanic so he could make it run. Where I grew up the gators were just a short walk away. Red bean gumbo...you bet I've eaten some...po-lord this coonass has eaten things most men just walk on by shay. lol. I'll eat it if it don't eat me first, even then I'll eat it from the inside! Good lord I miss home....see what ya did!
Old 12-03-2009, 08:25 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre
custom avatar check
Its blank.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:26 PM

Last photo:

Made ya look....dang to long of a day. Later all
Old 12-03-2009, 08:46 PM

Last photo:

Gator , put the cab on where it bolts down and mount the motor so the closest parts of the engine clear the firewall about an inch. Behind the heads and valve covers and distributor.
Talk about engine swaps, I had thought at one time about a 409 Chevy or even a 392 Chrysler hemi for my 57, talk about a 60's swap but both very pricey motors, but what a WOW factor.
Gene
Old 12-03-2009, 09:13 PM
the 'Duracell Project'

Last photo:

gator: do like halfton say. our trucks are already front heavy and the axles on all old trucks were moved to far back. the farther back and lower you get the motor the better off you will be. anyone putting a front clip on should move the axle forward an inch too. yes after market distributer will be a problem. my motor had the small cap but had 2 huge plugs coming out the back of the distributor. i tried to clock the dist 90 degrees but kept running into something like fuel regulator or coil. i ended up reccessing the back of the firewall, like this pic shows.
Old 12-04-2009, 09:48 AM

Last photo:

Thanks for the info on locating the motor. I am running a 1969 350 with all original gear, distributor, stamped valve covers, two barrel, etc. I have a pertonix kit to convert my distributor to an electronic set up so hopefully I won't need a larger after market one.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.