55 to 59 chevy truck owners - Page 110 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2010, 08:07 AM
31 five window

Last journal entry: Master cylinder
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

King pins

I am trying to find the dimensions for the king pins I was told they came from a 57 Chevy truck. Any help would be greatly appreciated.I am working on a 32 Chevy that was modified in the 80's and am trying to I.D. the spindles they used so I can replace the pins and bushings.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2010, 10:59 AM
1957 chevy pickup

Last journal entry: Small minded vandals
Last photo:

wiring harness

I spent a lot of time wiring the harnesses together from the Avalanche engine and the Camaro. I also had to wire in the stand alone for the fuses and relays. I think the next time I try such a project, I will try and buy the entire vehicle and scab the entire system into the project vehicle. After I bought the engine and transmission, I went back to buy the rest of the harness and they wanted $500 for it. I decided against this and went ahead with the Camaro harness. They also sold me a 2002 engine, but gave me the ECU from a 2003 or later vehicle. This caused me untold hours of troubleshooting because the throttle control for the drive by wire was different in the 2002 and I couldn't get the accelerator to work. I bought a throttle control from a 2005 and this fixed my problem. If I had bought the entire system, or vehicle, I would have avoided problems like this.
Old 02-07-2010, 03:30 PM

Last journal entry: Drop axle install
Last photo:

Caddie Northstar

BMAR- Saw a video of the building of the HotWheels Deora-2. They used a Cadillac Northstar engine the power the thing. (It's nice to have GM as a build buddy) Same sort of nightmare, and they ended up using all of the original harness just to get it to work. With all of that they ended up missing a rear impact sensor, which kept the engine from firing. Took a while to figure it out. I think you can get a custom harness now to do the same thing. Not cheap, but probably worth it.
Old 02-07-2010, 03:48 PM
1957 chevy pickup

Last photo:

wiring harness

I also looked at the various aftermarket harnesses and they were not cheap. I also remember there still being quite a bit of soldering required to install the harness to the application I would need. I think the aftermarket harness would be easier, but the initial cost still made the factory harness a viable option. I would have saved a lot of time by having the original firewall connectors for the transition from the engine to the cab. My way required cutting off the factory connector and soldering on the Camaro firewall plug. Next time I will be buying the entire harness, front to back, and installing everything as a single unit. Bill
Old 02-07-2010, 04:10 PM

Last photo:

Thats Cool

If ya got it to work is the biggest achievement. How ever you got it to work. I'll be honest and say I'm just too damn cheap to buy a bolt in harness. I'd rather retrofit a factory harness especially if you got it for nothing. I'll impress myself if I can fix all the stuff that was cut off,etc. I'm working with a junkyard harness. I like the challenge of joining the old with the new. But to be honest again, this will likely be my first and last computer controlled conversion. It just requires too much effort vs. a good ol carb engine. But I'm gonna try it out of curiosity. Hotrods don't need to be complicated to be cool. olnolan
Old 02-07-2010, 04:38 PM
1957 chevy pickup

Last photo:

Corvette LS engine

I must be a glutton for punishment. Once I finish the truck, I would like to pull the engine and transmission from my Corvette and drop in an LS engine/transmission. I guess I didn't learn the first time. I know I really enjoy the vehicles I have driven that have LS technology, and the added bonus of excellent gas mileage is all the better.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	yard5.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	43782  
Old 02-09-2010, 05:09 PM
1957 chevy pickup

Last photo:

fuel tank

Has anybody tried one of the fuel tanks from chevy's of the 40's? Their ad says the size is 28 by 20 and they have a fitting for EFI. There are two styles I am looking at. Thanks Bill

http://www.chevsofthe40s.com/detail/...PROVISION.html

http://www.chevsofthe40s.com/detail/...INJECTION.html
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	3847320F.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	43801   Click image for larger version

Name:	3847320K.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	43802  
Old 02-09-2010, 08:36 PM

Last photo:

Good Lead

I don't have any experience with this setup, but it a cool lead into a tank with the efi tank bung setup. Price don't sting too bad.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:24 PM
1957 chevy pickup

Last photo:

EFI fuel tank

My main concern is how big the opening is for the fuel pump. I already have the fuel pump from the Avalanche engine wired in and I am using it inside the Camaro gas tank. I had to cut an opening in the Camaro tank, and I would rather not have to cut the replacement tank. I also don't want to buy another fuel pump and wire it into the harness.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00744small.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	43803  
Old 02-10-2010, 08:25 AM

Last photo:

Bmar . Are you going to be able to fit one of those tanks in a 57 Chevy pickup?
Gene
Old 02-10-2010, 10:33 AM
1957 chevy pickup

Last photo:

fuel tank width

Gene, The width of 20 inches may require some fitting, but the length shouldn't be a problem. Bill
Old 02-11-2010, 03:13 PM

Last photo:

Hey , Bmar
I was looking at your project journal and did you start your pickup project with those 3 pickups you trailered home in pieces ????
WOW, What a way to start a project. While I was looking at your journal I had a few thoughts and questions. If you don't mind me asking?
Why you mounted the rearend to the springs the way you did instead of cutting off the spring pad and rewelding them to the axle housing under your springs? I also noticed that you moved the axle to the above the spring location instead of under the spring, and the chassis is on jack stands.
Are you going to C notch and box the frame above the rearend for axle housing clearance? Also with the weight of the truck on the springs it looks like the center of the rearend will hit the box tube crossmember you put in for your shocks.
Just a few thoughts I had looking at your journal.
Gene
Old 02-16-2010, 10:07 AM
the 'Duracell Project'

Last photo:

57 apache???

i was watching barret jackson last nite.

they sold a sweet 57 custom for $30k.

funny thing is they sold it as a 57 apache,

it had 58 trim on the 57 front clip

first time i ever heard of a 57 apache

apache badge was 58 thru 61(?) only
Old 02-16-2010, 07:47 PM
Wanabe Mechanic

Last journal entry: 55 chevy 2nd series truck
Last photo:

I know what you mean I've seen them on Barrett Jackson and they always get something wrong on the trucks . Maybe they are wrong on the cars too but I just don't know enough about them to tell. I ordered the one piece glass kit from brothers last week . So maybe I will receive it next month. Its on back order also. Every time I order something from them It's backordered. But everything I've gotten from them has been good quality though. I guess I just get anxious. Speaking of anxious my wife is having our third baby on the 23 of this month. I will be busy for a while. I just pray all goes well. I stay real busy now going back to college and being a dady again . I'm going to the autorama in dallas this weekend though .
Old 02-18-2010, 09:34 AM

Last photo:

I got my new Street Rodder magazine yesterday and saw an ad for Street Rod Headquarters and they are selling a complete new steel cabs with doors from Dynacorn for 55,56 and 57 Chevy pickups. I checked out their web site and they sell for $8,995.00. And weigh 650 pounds. Wow a big crate and truck freight , that could be big $$$$$$$'s.
I guess that could be better than some of the rusted out old cabs we have to work with.
Gene
http://www.streetrodhq.com/detail/32...INSTALLED.html

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.