55 to 59 chevy truck owners - Page 113 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2010, 04:26 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

quick question.

i just picked up a 56 chevy stepside.

i am in the planing stages now.

i am thinking about keeping the stock front suspension. but rebuilding it with all new parts. and adding power steering and disk brakes and a sway bar.

this is going to be a daily driver and weekend cruiser my work is only 5 miles
form my house. how do the solid axle Handel? will i like the ride? i am not looking for it to ride like a car. its a truck and will be used as a truck. but i want it to be safe when i go on the highway. and when i get out after a long drive i don't want to fell like i just got hit by the thing

thanks
Shawn

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2010, 10:26 PM
Another transplanted Okie

Last journal entry: DMV Trip
Last photo:

Hey Edavillenut, congrats on the "new" truck. To answer your question, I had a solid axle in a 50 Chevy a few years ago. With everything rebuilt and in excellent shape it drove pretty good. I had no complaints, except for the drum brakes. Keeping the stock suspension with bolt on upgrades is the easiest, quickest way to go. With everything gathered up, it could be a weekend project. With my current project, I stumbled across a good deal on a TCI Mustang 2 suspension, so my decision was based on availability and cost. I would have been just as happy to have found a deal on a dropped axle and disc brakes.
TIm
Old 03-05-2010, 08:54 AM

Last photo:

Welcome , Shawn
Double Dick will be the one to answer your questions on upgrading your stock frontend. He has done all the upgrades to the front of his 58.
Gene
Old 03-05-2010, 09:55 AM

Last photo:

Shawn I rebuilt the front on my 58 and I love the way it rides.I just run stock springs.I have a big block in mine so I put coil over shocks on mine to support the extra weight.I changed out the shock mounts by drilling off the rivets and bolting on some I made out of 1/2 inch plate steel.You will want to run a sway bar and need power disk brakes on the front.I bought the power assisted steering set up from CPP but I have not installed it yet.Check out Brothers Trucks tech articles for pictures of the power steering options.Have fun and post pictures.If you have any questions just post up and we will all help were we can
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0143_1 (600 x 450).jpg
Views:	118
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	44304   Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0139 (600 x 450).jpg
Views:	97
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	44305   Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0137 (600 x 450).jpg
Views:	91
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	44306   Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0138 (600 x 450).jpg
Views:	89
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	44307   Click image for larger version

Name:	101_1537 (600 x 450).jpg
Views:	100
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	44308  

Old 03-06-2010, 07:01 PM

Last photo:

Another Saturday means progress!

My plan for today was to put the motor back in and throw in a Ranger 7.5 rear temporarily so I could check out the look of the wheels and the stance with the rear end moved above the springs. The Ranger Diff puts my overall width outside tire at 73”. I would rather have the overall width something like 70” or 71”. The 8-3/4 I'm waiting to get is an inch wider than the Ranger. So I may have to narrow it or find something else. Meanwhile the 7.5 gets me rolling on my new rims/tires while I search. The front should come down a little more with the fenders on and it should settle some when I actually start driving it. I started painting the frame with a product called Hammerite. Not the Rustoleum Hammerite you find at Home Depot, but the original stuff I ordered online. I think it looks pretty good and it’s supposed to be durable. Looks like I'll be C-Notching the frame. The axles are too close to the frame to leave it as is.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	109 030610.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	293.3 KB
ID:	44344   Click image for larger version

Name:	110 030610.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	245.1 KB
ID:	44345   Click image for larger version

Name:	112 030610.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	216.0 KB
ID:	44346   Click image for larger version

Name:	107 030510.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	236.4 KB
ID:	44347  
Old 03-11-2010, 12:24 PM
Worn Out and Broken

Welcome to the group, Shawn; these are great old trucks, no matter what one does with them, custom, restore, or something in between.

Depending on your level of experience, you can deal with one of these trucks in stock form with just a good dose of common sense and a basic SAE tool set; they are very basic in nature. For what you describe as your intended use, were I you (and I have been as you are), I would just tear down the springs and re-furbish/rebuild them, get some new shocks, put in new kingpins and tie rod ends, go through the brakes and do a front disc brake conversion if you can afford it, add front and rear sway bars, and call it good. If the drive train needs it, rebuild the engine and tranny; in stock form, they are fairly easy. All of these things can be done pretty much piece meal, that is to say one item at a time, and still retain the use of the truck without sidelining it for any really long period of time. I have had my '59 since 1971, and have done all of those things at least one or more times in the last forty years. It is down now for a complete resto-rod re-do.

Of course, there are many other things that can and likely will come to light during your adventures, but the fact remains that they are still fundamentally basic - nothing too complicated at all. Some younger folks today - my 18 YO grandson for example, have a tendency to over think these trucks, because they are accustomed to cars like Hondas and Toyotas, etc.; my grandson was amazed at how really simple my stock (sort of) old truck was.

As to how you will feel after a long drive in a stock truck, it all depends on your age and level of fitness. When I got my truck, I was in my early thirties, and meaner than a bag of rattlesnakes, and a long drive hardly fazed me. The last time I took a long ride in my truck, though, some ten years ago, I truly felt as if I had ridden a conestoga wagon across the desert with no roads. I was in the process of recovery from some serious medical issues, had been quite sedentary for a couple of years, and was really out of shape. So as I said, it all depends; these things are not a modern, cushy riding truck, but in good form, they are not too uncomfortable, either.

Hang around here, ask all the questions you want; there is a lot of experience and skill in this group.
Old 03-11-2010, 02:04 PM

well after a lot of thought i am not staying stock

i am going with a Heidts mustang II for a frod explorer 8.8 rear end

i picked up a rear end limited slip 3.73 gears for $200
Old 03-11-2010, 03:48 PM

Last photo:

Edavillenut, I don't know about the Heidt's front end. When I did the front end in my 57 I used a Fatman Fabrications stage 2 setup , It's been in about 8 years or so I guess BUT I think if I was going to do it again I would use a front steer Camaro clip, 70 or later. I'm not to thrilled with the Mustang II front end because of the use of urethane type bushings everyone seems to use. Then on top of that I did a NoLimit FatBar 4 bar rear suspension with more urethane bushings. I think I would stay with something with rubber suspension bushings cause my 59 year old bones don't like the harsh ride even with air ride in the rear.
Gene
Old 03-14-2010, 03:05 PM

Last photo:

Fuel Tank

I liked the way the Mustang tank fit that bmar installed, but I wanted a side fill for convenience. So I looked around and found a mid 70's Chevy Van tank had the correct dimensions. I had to c-notch the frame for the side fill to fit. In these pics the frame is resting on top of the frame rails, when I mount it permanently it will be strapped under them. I'll bolt the rear crossmember in behind the tank.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	127 031410.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	192.0 KB
ID:	44506   Click image for larger version

Name:	128 031410.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	188.3 KB
ID:	44507   Click image for larger version

Name:	129 031410.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	175.1 KB
ID:	44508  
Old 03-14-2010, 11:15 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLEDICK
My name is Richard Johnson and I am building my second Apache truck.I drive this truck every day and am doing everything I can to make it a pleasure to drive and still be a good work truck.I like modern drive trains and stock body and interiors.I am looking for other guys that have and drive these trucks to talk to and share Ideas and designs for custom made parts with.I have sent private messages to a few people on this board and only one person responded.At his request I sent him pictures of my custom sway bar mounts so he could make some for his truck.Without sway-bars these trucks are no fun to drive.I am curious to see what others have done and share ideas.
Hiya double, I have a 55 small window that i have been working on forever. I put a 1981 Camaro and rear end under it. I had the frame and cab media blasted and epoxy primed. I am slowly working on getting the body work repaired, primed, blocked and repeating the process. I also put a tilt steering wheel and brake booster from a 1979 Suburban. I have a long way to go, but I have also come a long way. Have a great week...
Old 03-15-2010, 09:35 AM

Last photo:

Hey , Tim
That gas tank looks great in there, looks like a big tank how much does it hold? I would box the frame where you notched it for the filler neck because your spring hanger is out on the end of the frame past the notch and the spring may try to bend the end of the frame up. Also put the heavy crossmember back in behind the tank to keep the springs from twisting the frame ends. Also box the frame when you C notch the frame above the rearend for axle clearance.
Tcoop, your project looks like its comong along great. I like the nice clean look after you had it media blasted, nothing like working with nice clean parts.
Keep the pics coming.
Gene
Old 03-15-2010, 02:38 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57halfton
Hey , Tim
That gas tank looks great in there, looks like a big tank how much does it hold? I would box the frame where you notched it for the filler neck because your spring hanger is out on the end of the frame past the notch and the spring may try to bend the end of the frame up. Also put the heavy crossmember back in behind the tank to keep the springs from twisting the frame ends. Also box the frame when you C notch the frame above the rearend for axle clearance.
Tcoop, your project looks like its comong along great. I like the nice clean look after you had it media blasted, nothing like working with nice clean parts.
Keep the pics coming.
Gene
Thanks Gene, I originally was just going to wire brush, sand and grind, and then prime. However as time and energy was spent on this truck i got hit with might as well bug. I am sure many can relate to...., "well you are this far into it, you might as well do this, or since you done that you really need to do this, well you might as well do the whole truck, it would be ashame if you did this and didnt do this and this happens....hehehe So with that being said, i ended up media blasting the frame and cab. The bed is sitting on saw horses with a cover over it, I havn't gotten to the bed yet. So it looks like i am doing a frame off restoration, but my finances or lack of, slows the project way down. Its my first project and I find that i do a lot of things twice...live and learn...sorry i just kept typing...have a great day
Old 03-16-2010, 11:32 PM

Last photo:

Gene, thanks for the advise. I hear you about the boxing. I still have some work to finalize the tank install. The tank is allegedly 21 gallons, but it looks bigger to me. I'm debating whether to pick up one of the round painted fuel doors and weld it into the side of the fender. Or to use an aluminum fuel filler on the back of the fender above the tail light.

Tcoop, loving the media blasting. I wish I had gone that route. The firewall looks good all cleaned up. Your work on the front suspension install looks great.

I've been able to do a little work on the truck in the evenings this week thanks to Daylight Savings Time. I shortened the front of the bed 9-1/8" and cut the bedsides for the tubs. Here's a pic of one tub mocked up, I'll eventually narrow the tub until it's only 3" wide and weld the side in. I drilled out the spot welds that held the stake pockets on so I can re-weld them onto the new front of the bed sides.

Tim
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	138 031410.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	254.1 KB
ID:	44581   Click image for larger version

Name:	145 031510.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	150.0 KB
ID:	44582   Click image for larger version

Name:	148 031510.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	216.3 KB
ID:	44583  
Old 03-24-2010, 09:44 AM
Sin Vertis Stratio

Last photo:

New 59 Project

Gang
Looks like ive found a home here, thank DD for getting it started.
Just brought home a 59 last Sunday, has some issues as one can imagine. The plan is getting it back on the street as a driver with the 6 holer while i gather parts for BB swap out. Have a 454 with a t400 in a donor 73, im one of those no substitute for cubic inch guys .
now if i can just sort out how to post a pic
Peace
Merlin
www.airbornart.net
Old 03-24-2010, 10:15 PM

Last photo:

Welcome Merlin

Hi Merlin,
Welcome to the site. Congratulations on your 59. It sounds like you have some great plans for it. Checking out your website I would expect a killer paint job is in your plans as well.
We want to see some pictures, so here are some tips on how to post them.
I will begin by saying I use Opera as my browser. Sometimes Opera looks and acts a little differently than Internet Explorer or Firefox. But it is close enough you should be able to get the general idea.
When you have the Comment page open to type your comments, just scroll down the page where you will see a box labeled "Attach Files" Within that box you will see a grey bar labeled "Manage Attachments", click on it. It will open another tab on your browser. You will see several empty white boxes lined up vertically next to grey boxes with “Choose” or “Browse”. Click on the top grey bar and it will give you a window to browse to the folder on your computer where you store your pictures. As you select a picture the path to the picture will be displayed in the white box. To add another picture, move down a line and click on the next grey box. After you have added all your pictures (up to 5 total pictures per post) click the “Upload” button. If the upload was successful, it will automatically go back to your page where you were typing your reply. Finish any text you were writing then hit “Submit Reply”, just like you did when originally posted.
If it does not complete the upload of your pictures, it may be your picture resolution. Hi-Res pictures cannot be uploaded. I have to re-size all my pictures before I post them.
I hope I have helped,
Tim

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.