55 to 59 chevy truck owners - Page 114 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2010, 10:28 AM

Last journal entry: Drop axle install
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Blazer gas tank

Shadetree-thanks for the info on the Chevy gas tank. I have the same one, (but a little beat up on the bottom) that I'm going to use in my '59. Mine came out of a full size GMC van, so I think they must have used them in several models.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2010, 10:14 AM

Last photo:

Hey, where did everybody go ? Must be out working on your trucks instead of surfing the web.
Gene
Old 04-08-2010, 07:25 PM
Another transplanted Okie

Last journal entry: DMV Trip
Last photo:

Iíve been thinking the same thing Gene. The past two weekends I have been too busy with family in from out of town. Haven't had much time to work on the truck. I did manage to weld the stake pockets back on the front of my shortened bed. I welded through the holes I drilled to release the original spot welds. Still need to grind the welds smooth. And I installed my new rear window. 10 years ago I had reinstalled my original rear window and swore to never do it again. So the other day I called a local classic auto-glass company about installing it. The guy proceeded to bash my purchase of window and rubber from Brothers, claiming he always has to modify their windows to make them fit and their rubber is too large?!? I never appreciate anyone who badmouths another's products to convince me their own is better. He thoroughly inspired me to install this one just to prove him wrong. It went in way easier than I remembered and fits great right out of the box. Thanks "bad phone sales guy", you just saved me some money. On a different note, I've been looking for John Deere Blitz Black paint to use on my inner fenderwells and suspension pieces. My local JD Dealer doesnít keep it in stock. Last week I went up to Santa Maria for work and the JD Dealer there has lots of Quarts, Gallons and Spray Cans on their shelves. I wish I had more to report as my to-do list doesn't seem to be shrinking very fast. I'm taking a vow right now to concentrate on the mechanicals from now on until it's drivable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SNC00001.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	186.8 KB
ID:	45017   Click image for larger version

Name:	SNC00005.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	45018   Click image for larger version

Name:	SNC00007.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	198.1 KB
ID:	45019  
Old 04-08-2010, 10:41 PM
Sin Vertis Stratio

Last photo:

Well Ive been diligently going thru the whole brake system on my 59, decided on all new everything including the brake lines.. thats been hit and miss tho as the paying work is picking up. Off to the Del Mar show tomorrow afternoon after i visit two of my job sites in SD county. Back to the truck on Saturday
Keep 'em rolling
Old 04-09-2010, 06:05 AM
Wanabe Mechanic

Last journal entry: 55 chevy 2nd series truck
Last photo:

Shadetree did you install the big back glass alone? I will try this hopefully soon . Maybe my wife will help some.
Old 04-09-2010, 09:00 AM

Last photo:

I have done several windshields but not a back window. Last time I did one my wife and daughter helped, they were on the outside gently pushing while I was on the inside pulling the cord to seat the rubber. Some extra hands outside never hurts, last thing you want is for it to fall out and break.
Iv'e been working on my other cab thats in my back yard. Im attempting to fill the open hole on the inside roof where the headliner goes and weld up and mold smooth all the spot weld seams inside. I had some rust issues on the roof skin and around the drip rails so I cut it off and got a new roof skin. I trimmed down the old roof skin to use as a filler for the inside hole. If this works the inside will be nice and smooth and painted.
I'll take some pics and try to figure out how to post them here.
Gene
Old 04-09-2010, 04:29 PM

Last photo:

Lil John, I installed the front and rear glass alone. I used the string method halfton mentioned. I taped the rubber to the windshield with string installed. Sat the window onto the bottom rail, sprayed the area I was working on with soapy water, and pulled the string while pushing gently on the outside with my free hand. I alternated from side to side every 6-12 inches. With that being said, it would have probably been easier with a helper. For me, the lock bead was the difficult part. Tedious. I bought the lock bead install tool Brothers promotes. Looks good on my bench... It turned out to be easier with 2 small screwdrivers.
Halfton, that's an ambitious project you're doing, hope to see some pictures.
Old 04-10-2010, 09:48 PM

Last photo:

Family's gone, let the work begin

I got a little bit done today. Nice to be back out on the side of the house for an entire day. I decided to narrow my Ranger differential since it may be awhile until I am able to get the diff I'm waiting for. Using a pre-93 right axle on the left side I was able to take 4Ē out of the width. I made some braces for the axle tubes from angle iron. Next I have to build the lower shock mounts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	159 041010.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	283.5 KB
ID:	45060   Click image for larger version

Name:	162 041010.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	222.9 KB
ID:	45061   Click image for larger version

Name:	164 041010.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	217.5 KB
ID:	45062   Click image for larger version

Name:	166 041010.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	244.3 KB
ID:	45063   Click image for larger version

Name:	171 041010.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	252.7 KB
ID:	45064  

Old 04-11-2010, 08:52 AM
Sin Vertis Stratio

Last photo:

Front Spindle disc brake question

Is there another 5 lug Hub/Brake drum out there that will fit the front spindle of the '59 straight axle??. Was talking to several of the disc brake folks at Good Guys this weekend and seem they dont make a disc brake setup for our trucks. I dont care about brackets, those are easy, could build the hubs also but I tend to scrounge first.
thanks
Old 04-11-2010, 11:20 AM

Last photo:

Hey , Tim is that a mockup rearend you narrowed ? What diff. are you going to use later ?
Merlin the front hubs and drums from at 53/54 Chevrolet car and maybe earlier Chevy cars also hubs and drums from a Corvette 62 and older will bolt right on the pickup spindles.
Gene
Old 04-11-2010, 01:46 PM

Last photo:

Yes, the Ranger diff is the one I purchased just to get the truck rolling on its new wheels. I narrowed it to gain the experience, and I may be stuck with it for a while. A friend has a 8-3/4 Mopar he's pulling out a I hope to eventually get.
Merlin, I used 54 Chevy car drums on my 50 Chevy pickup many years ago. But I don't understand your post, "they don't make a disc brake setup for our trucks"? Brothers and CPP both have a bolt on 5-lug disc brake kit for the stock axle.
Tim
Old 04-11-2010, 05:33 PM

Last photo:

Tim , I have never seen anyone narrow a rearend like that before. You going to drive it like that ????????
Old 04-11-2010, 07:42 PM

Last photo:

Absolutely, unless I get another rear end before I get the truck back on the street.
Old 04-11-2010, 10:54 PM
Sin Vertis Stratio

Last photo:

Thanks Tim, Wilwood was one of the vendors i was talking to as i can do an unboosted set up with their goodies, i'll look into ccp and brothers
Old 04-12-2010, 10:07 AM

Noob

Just found this forum, lots of good info. Working on a 57 PU hoping someday to actually drive it. The post's on installing glass were great. Ws going to sub it out but think I will give it a try now. Going to be a hot rod truck, narrowed 9", ladder bar coilover, 79 Nova front clip, BBC/turbo 400, have a ways to go, but coming along. Keep the good info coming.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.