55 to 59 chevy truck owners - Page 115 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2010, 10:43 AM
Another transplanted Okie

Last journal entry: DMV Trip
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Sandrat57, welcome to the site. Sounds like a great project. Looking forward to seeing pictures of it.
Tim

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2010, 02:16 PM

Last photo:

Hi guys I have been trying to get some work done around here but it just wont stop snowing.We are supposed to get 4 inches today and another 6 inches tonight.I put up the new shop building but ran out of time before the subzero temps arrived so the concrete is not done yet.The temps get above freezing every day now but in the teens at night so I have mud about 1 foot deep right in front of the garage so I cant use the shop at all till it dries up.It has been snowing endlessly this year so I need 2 weeks of dry weather to dry the ground up enough to move the 58 around to the shop and to get the 30 foot motor home out of the garage.If I try now I will need a dozer to pull it out of the mud Maybe next month will be better.Of course I will have to fix the van and the 98 truck before I can get to the toys.I am glad to see the rest of you guys get to play with your toys It will be my turn soon
Old 04-17-2010, 05:05 PM

Last photo:

59 chevy truck upper front shock mount..

Hi I have a 59 Chevy Truck Stepside that the driver's side upper front shock mount has broken off. I have a pic of the passenger side if someone wants to see..it's in my photo gallery. It has the 3 rivets but also has some kind of housing too. I found some on ebay that they say will fit 55-59 but it's not exactly the same as mine. Just wondering where I can find one like mine or if those other ones will work. I guess I have to drill out the old rivets and bolt the new on with Grade 8 bolt or should I weld it? Any suggestions? Thanks

Last edited by sport41; 04-17-2010 at 06:49 PM. Reason: added more info
Old 04-17-2010, 05:17 PM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by sport41
Hi I have a 59 Chevy Truck Stepside that the driver's side upper front shock mount has broken off. I have a pic of the passenger side if someone wants to see..you can shoot me your email and I can show u. It has the 3 rivets but also has an upper housing. I found some on ebay that they say will fit 55-59 but it's not exactly the same as mine. Just wondering where I can find one like mine or if those other ones will work. I guess I have to drill out the old rivets and bolt the new on with Grade 8 bolt or should I weld it? Any suggestions? Thanks

Just so you know you can up-load pics to your post or start a photo gallery, It's easy step by step instructions. These guy's more then likely won't give out a email just yet.JMO

Cole
Old 04-17-2010, 06:29 PM

Last photo:

I posted a pic of the shock mount in my photo gallery..

I am still trying to figure out how to attach the pic to my post. It says it's too big and won't do it.
Old 04-17-2010, 07:55 PM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by sport41
I am still trying to figure out how to attach the pic to my post. It says it's too big and won't do it.
You know if you can't find another mount you do have one good one there to go by, I would just fab one up you have the dimensions on th other one . Just a thought.

Cole
Old 04-17-2010, 08:07 PM

Last photo:

Fab one up..

Where can I go to get one made up if worse comes to worse and I can't find one? Also do you think there is any difference between the passenger side and driver's side? Thanks
Old 04-17-2010, 11:34 PM

Last photo:

Hi Sport41, my 57 GMC had the front shock mounts bolted to the frame with three grade 8 bolts (until I removed them). I don't think you would need to weld them on.
The mounts are identical left and right.
I don't have any pictures of my old mounts right now. I can take some pictures tomorrow if you want. BTW, you just need to resize your pictures smaller so you can post them.
Tim
Old 04-17-2010, 11:41 PM

Last photo:

Sport41, I just checked out your photo album. The pic of the mounts you have titled "will these work" are identical to my 57 GMC Mounts. Just bolt them to the frame with grade 8 bolts and you're good to go.
Tim
Old 04-18-2010, 09:08 AM

Last photo:

Shock mounts

Hi Tim,

Would it be better to drill off the good one on the passenger side that I have in the pic and have both the same as pictured "will these work" like yours or does it matter if the mounts are different if I just replace the one with your type on my needed driver's side? Just wondering if it will line up the same as the other side since the mount is a bit different. Also, do you know how long of grade 8 bolts I need and do I need any washers as well? Also, would it be better to take the truck in to somewhere where they sell shocks or should I let the body shop install the mount? Thanks for the help My truck is at the body shop and just trying to get some idea what to do..

Last edited by sport41; 04-18-2010 at 10:44 AM.
Old 04-19-2010, 01:29 AM

Last photo:

hello sport 41.I run coil over shocks on the front.I made new mounts out of 1/2 inch plate steel.Just drill off the rivets and take the old ones off.I bolted them on with grade 8 bolts left and right but for the bottom I counter sunk the hole and used a carriage bolt.I traced the stock one on 1/2 inch plate twice.I used a hand drill to pre drill the holes then cut them out with a metal cutting blade in my skill saw then rounded them off with my grinder.Here is a picture of the stock one and the new one I made.I just took the shock mount bolt off the stock one and bolted it on the new one I made .It works Great and only took a few hours to do.Give it a try it is easy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	101_1537 (600 x 450).jpg
Views:	97
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	45244   Click image for larger version

Name:	101_1540 (600 x 450).jpg
Views:	91
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	45245   Click image for larger version

Name:	101_1539 (600 x 450).jpg
Views:	114
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	45246  
Old 04-19-2010, 01:47 AM

Last photo:

sport 41 to load pictures I use pixresizer.Just google it and down load it for free.I drag and drop pictures to my desk top and resize them.I just click on load picture then click on apply recommended then click on save picture.A window will open.Click on save and it will load the resized picture on your desktop.To add the resized pictures to your post you type your message then scroll down to manage attachments and click on that.Click on browse.Upload the resized pictures off your desk top then click on upload.the picture will be added to your post.Have fun and post all the pictures you can.We love to see the pictures I hope this helped.
Old 04-19-2010, 03:53 PM

Last photo:

Thanks

Thanks for the info on making up new ones. I will first try and see if they ones I bought on ebay will work first and go from there...
Old 04-19-2010, 09:23 PM

Floor start

I have a '59 fleetside. I was with my dad when he bought it in 1974 and learned to drive in this little beast (loved the column shift).

Anyways, I want to upgrade the suspension and throw in a v8 and make it my daily driver. But one thing I want to keep is the floor start. I can't imagine this would be difficult as a starter switch is a starter switch, but before I got my hopes up of keeping it floor start, I wanted to know if anyone has kept theirs?

If I do install a V8 will there be any problems with space between the firewall and the engine/tranny if I leave the floor start?

I have a 454 right now with a 400 tranny out of an old suburban, but i think I'm gonna try and get a small block and smaller tranny.

Last edited by addision; 04-19-2010 at 10:48 PM.
Old 04-20-2010, 12:44 PM

Last photo:

What type of engine is best?

I have a original 235 6 cyl in my 59 Chevy Apache Shortbed Stepside Truck 4 speed on floor.. If I did exchange the engine out of it should I go with a 327 or 350? How much would this cost for the engine and install if I had someone else do it? I heard it's not easy cause you have to do some modifications with the radiator etc. Thanks for any help....

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.