55 to 59 chevy truck owners - Page 119 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2010, 10:52 AM
the 'Duracell Project'

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

i re-read your post. sounds like you already have them and want install pointers.

you will re-use your bottom of your window frame. the setting tape that brothers sent did not grip the glass securely. i used windshield butyl caulk to glue in my glass instead of the tape.

buy some 1/2 inch 3M foam tape like they use for body kits http://www.autogeek.net/3m-auto-tape.html (never used this site, just for refference) home depot in our area carries the 1 inch tape, that i had to cut in half (pain). this will hold the new window sweeps in. also eliminates the little screw that they say to put in here.

also get some adhesion promoter. use this stuff and the 3m tape is permanent.

the kit comes with the window felt channel pre-bent poorly. i used a piece of 1/4'' plywood cut to the correct shape to resize and smooth out the bends.

use plenty of clear silicone to attach the felt track top and sides. you will need to reform the bend areas to eliminate open gaps at the corners. so don't glue the corners. use lots of tape to hold everything.

buy new bottom glass stop rubbers. you need to remove and reinstall. the old ones will break.

buy some black foam weather strip 3/8 wide x 3/16 thick. to go around the window felt when you install your inside trim as there will be a gap here if you don't.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2010, 08:57 PM

Last photo:

Fleetside Bed Trim

So. Finally have in my possession all of the side trim pcs for my 59 longbed fleetside. Thought that was the hard part. Now I'm trying to install them and I cannot find the right clips/fasteners anywhere! I've tried body shops, been all over the internet, the FBI knows but won't tell me...Please! if anyone even has a photo or a drawing of what they are supposed to look like, I'd be thrilled. Also, and I know this should be easy---I have new window regulators, but can't see an obvious way to replace them--help there would also be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!
Old 05-01-2010, 09:17 PM

Orge,

Thanks for the info. Love the truck! I was thinking of running a chanel in the front part of the window to give it more stability.
Old 05-02-2010, 06:19 PM
Wanabe Mechanic

Last journal entry: 55 chevy 2nd series truck
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57halfton
Thats a Chevelle 12 bolt rearend. I would say your axle tubes are leaking and it looks like someone already put some crappy welds on the tubes. I think I would clean it up and get the tubes rewelded buy a professional welder and check for straightness. Then raise the rear of your panel an inch or two. Move the upper shock mounts out some to a point where the shocks barely clear the frame rail. They are layed down to much now to do much good. The bump stops you are looking at will probably make it ride bad when you hit bumps. Or you can raise the floor inside for clearance.
Well I think thats what I'd do anyway.
Gene

Sorry to get in on the end of the thread but I have a question that goes along with this . I am trying to install some shocks on my truck . I bought a coilover shock mount kit from jegs and have been told to put the mounts in at an angle . Is this better than putting them straight up and down ? It makes sense that at an angle they wouldn't bind as much but when looking at some newer trucks they were vertcal . Does anyone have any info on this. Right now I have leaf springs that were the original ones but I have no shocks installed yet.
John
Old 05-03-2010, 10:44 AM
the 'Duracell Project'

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig legacy
Orge,

Thanks for the info. Love the truck! I was thinking of running a chanel in the front part of the window to give it more stability.
i think the front channel needs to float to give the required 'wiggle room'
try it both ways
Old 05-03-2010, 12:22 PM

Last photo:

radiator

I am in the process of moving and found the old brass and copper radiator from my 55 panel seems to be in good shape and it wasn't leaking when i pulled it ... think there's much interest for this ?
Old 05-03-2010, 09:33 PM
Another transplanted Okie

Last journal entry: DMV Trip
Last photo:

Lil John, from what Iíve read, the reason they angle the top of the shocks in is to help control body lean. However the further you angle the shock in, the less effective the shock is for up/down control. There's probably a happy balance there somewhere. Because I had some fairly stiff, tall shocks off my 57 from its 4X4 days, I reused them by angling them from the original upper shock mounts to new brackets I bolted to the spring perches. A pretty severe angle, but the truck seems stiff using the old bounce test. I won't really know until I can drive it. If the rear is too soft, I'll move the upper mounts out to stand the shock up straighter and buy some shorter shocks.
Tim
Old 05-13-2010, 10:05 PM
Another transplanted Okie

Last journal entry: DMV Trip
Last photo:

It's alive!

I started the truck today for the first time since December. It was cool driving into the back yard under it's own power. I'm happy; the truck steers very easy without power steering. I easily made a 3 point turn to turn around. While it was in the yard, I snapped a few pictures.
The other day I shot some satin green paint on the rear fender to check out the look. It's rough, still have to do the bodywork on the fender. I'm debating whether to paint the entire truck, or just the areas still in primer.
This was just the shot of adrenaline I needed to tackle the bodywork. Front fenders first, gotta get it street legal. Then I can pull the bed to do all the work it needs while I have some fun driving it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	213 51310.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	263.7 KB
ID:	45643   Click image for larger version

Name:	214 51310.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	225.3 KB
ID:	45644   Click image for larger version

Name:	215 51310.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	283.5 KB
ID:	45645   Click image for larger version

Name:	219 51310.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	290.3 KB
ID:	45646  
Old 05-14-2010, 09:00 AM
hotrodder 4 life

Last photo:

looking good!

man i need to get back to work on my junk. i have to finish building the motor for the lightining first though...
Old 05-14-2010, 09:00 PM

Last photo:

Hi Guys

I've been lurking on the 55-59 Truck thread about a week now reading most of the pages. Very interesting.

We have a '56 Chevy 3200 long bed 6 cyl. 4 sp. with a 30 year patina. I love this truck. Every time I drive it its a step back to a simpler time.

We also have a '56 GMC 100 Suburban Pick Up (Cameo). I bought it in '97 from a friend who rebuilt it back in the day '73-'78 before there was aftermarket parts for it.

He added a/c from a '69 Camero with only a minor mod to the case to clear the hood hinge. It'll freeze you out of the cab on a 120 degree day.

He replaced the heavily smoking 347 Pontiac v-8 with a rebuilt '60 Pontiac 389 punched out to 400 cu. in. coupled to the stock cast iron 4 sp. Hydramatic.

When I got it the chrome had gone bad, the paint was heavily oxidized , the tires were new in '73 and still had nubs. I replaced the tires & wheels, fiberglass bedsides, rechromed most of the trim, replaced the seat.

Now the latest truck project is my '57 GMC 100 Napco 4x4 long bed. I bought it to fast forward my '56 Chevy 3200 into what I thought what I wanted, a shiny high 4x4 .

Well when the wife needs a step ladder to get in & out that changed my mind.

So I have this long bed Chevy chassis out back that I stripped of just about everything riveted to it.

I took it over to the powdercoater and had them media blast it to bear metal, brought it home and hit it with 2 coats of Dupli-Color self etching primer and 2 coats of Dupli-Color semi-gloss black enamel.

Then I headed to No Limit in San Bernardino (700 miles 1 way) to have them install their Wide Ride front Suspension with air ride, 11" disc brakes, power rack and pinion and their front brake line kit.

Also had them install a Currie 9" (4.11) with their Fat Bar rear suspension and air ride.

Three days and 24 hours labor I'm heading home with a rolling chassis, aluminum 20 gal fuel tank and fuel line .

After I got home the Air Ride Kit and tanks , park brake kit, trans mount and cross member, engine mounts show up with the FedEx and UPS trucks.

The engine and trans that I WAS going to install was what I had on hand a (don't kill me) Chrysler 360 & A-500 TorqueFlite O/D Trans . I went so far as to set the trans in the chassis.

The more I thought about it the more I felt if I'm spending this kind of $ on the chassis why not update more then 20 years on the power train.

So a call to the local auto dismantler and I've got a complete 2005 Chevy 5.3 v-8 and 4L60E Trans with everything, wiring, computer, a/c,p/s,Rad.,A/C Condenser, driveshaft, gas pedal & cable. If it was attached to the engine or trans I got it all for $2500.

Now the fun begins, running brake lines,installing the P/B & M/C, installing the Air Ride lines,tanks,pump & controls,parking brake cables & levers, battery box and chassis wiring & trailer wiring.

Speaking of Trailer stuff I found U-Haul has a perfect Class III receiver that by just drilling new bolt holes fits the chassis and stock rear bumper perfectly. U-Haul Part # 75133.

Then I'll fab motor mounts and set the engine and trans and figure out what to use for headers. Then exhaust system, fuel lines, tank mount pump, EVap canister and line.

When all that's done it will be time to move the body over and hook up the steering, mount the computer and wiring, cooling system and a/c., upgrade the interior and make it run

I'm Glen and she's Rita G&R's57GMC
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0508.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	1.92 MB
ID:	45655   Click image for larger version

Name:	57GMC2.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	45698   Click image for larger version

Name:	57GMCFrnt.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	45699   Click image for larger version

Name:	57GMCrt.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	45700   Click image for larger version

Name:	57GMCrear.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	45701  

Last edited by G&R's57GMC; 05-17-2010 at 04:14 PM.
Old 05-14-2010, 09:04 PM

Last photo:

Our 57 GMC Hitch

Here's the U-Haul Class III Reciver part #75133
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0708.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	1.79 MB
ID:	45656  
Old 05-14-2010, 09:08 PM

Last photo:

Our 57 tucked away

our 57 GMC
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	57 LF 1:4 view2.jpg
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	45660   Click image for larger version

Name:	57GMCbed.jpg
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	45702   Click image for larger version

Name:	57GMCdash.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	45703   Click image for larger version

Name:	57GMCengine.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	45704  

Last edited by G&R's57GMC; 05-17-2010 at 04:19 PM. Reason: photo change
Old 05-14-2010, 09:46 PM

Last photo:

Fresh out of No Limit

just rolled out next to my Avalanche ready to head home
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Chassis Front1.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	45658   Click image for larger version

Name:	Chassis Rear1.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	45659   Click image for larger version

Name:	Chassis next to AV1.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	199.7 KB
ID:	45696  

Last edited by G&R's57GMC; 05-17-2010 at 03:28 PM.
Old 05-14-2010, 10:02 PM

Last photo:

out of order

Chassis ready to go to No Limit
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Chassis on Trailer1.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	122.0 KB
ID:	45661  
Old 05-15-2010, 01:58 PM

Last photo:

G&R
WOW you sure jumped into this project with both feet !!!!! How was your experience with NoLimit ? That was quite a trip down there and back , I hope they treated you well. I have done business with them several times, seem like good people. I have their Fat Bar suspension in my 57 halfton with air bags, but I didn't go with the compressor, air tank and switches. I just put air in to get the ride height I want and thats where it stays. I don't normally carry anything in the bed in my pickup.
Who's Rita? Your wife or one of the trucks? When my daughter drove my pickup alot she called it "Steven" she also named several other cars and the names seemed to stick.
Keep us posted on your progress and keep the pics coming. I still have to figure out how to post pictures on here myself.
Gene

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.