55 to 59 chevy truck owners - Page 130 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2010, 04:59 PM
the 'Duracell Project'

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

ND
halfton put it well, swap tops maybe your best bet. i've not seen rust that bad around a roof. check out custom trucks mag ''project get shorty'' they have a good article on chopping a 71 truck cab. adjust your doors and brace the cab well, before cutting. when your door gaps look good; weld it. resist the urge to chop a 55-59 cab, too many of these trucks get chopped and not finished because the owner can't get glass to fit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2010, 05:16 PM
the 'Duracell Project'

Last photo:

thanks halfton. big winter project is to get the door panels done. still lots of little stuff to do. cruise doesn't work. ac doesn't work; have to pull the console out to replace the expanssion valve. speedo hangs up and reads slow; found a local shop to rebuild it for $150. so basicaly i need to gut the interior this winter. we have an old car show in town next weekend, i'll probably park it for the winter after that. 54 was the high yesterday, salt season is coming...
Old 09-27-2010, 05:44 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Love the way it looks... Great Idea..
Old 09-28-2010, 06:38 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

ND,patching up the inside isnt a big deal and mighbe fun,you'll defenitly learn something..
I'd strip the outer roof and see if its in good shape (it looks like it is)
Try replacing the bad metal first and if it gets to be to much for you ,you can always cut the whole roof off..it may sound scary but its actually pretty ez with a few proper tools...and theres plenty of talent here to guide you either way you go..

oK GUYS,I found a 55 trk and need your advice.Its got a 57 hood on it and its a running trk with a hot little 350 in it ...The body is pretty darn good its not packed with bondo no paint ,just primer..The guy wants 4,500 for it ..I can actually drive it home (thats the nice part) I really want it but 3,500 sounds good to me ...what do yall think.Whats a nice DD with paint worth??? I think I'm trying to get someone to talk me out of it ...But I do need a truck and 4,500 is not that much for a truck,any truck...I'll be hauling a big dual axel utility trailer and a car trailer mostly.
Geeze ,,I think I just talked myself into it...Funny thing was I was up there looking at two rusted 41 chevy sedans and this guy had four 55 trks sitting in the garage.. These may just be the best looking trks ever made and I always wanted one..
Alright, so I'll call the guy...thanks guys for helping me to make up my mind...
Old 09-28-2010, 10:16 AM
the 'Duracell Project'

Last photo:

dbm
your wife says you have too many projects now.
this late model truck may be a little out of your league,
they fall apart at the mere mention of towing a trailer.
but if the body is as good as you say, send it to me...
you'll just tear it apart, hotrod it and put a cherry paint job on it.
ogre

ps: welcome to the 55-59 chevy truck owners club.
and yes these trucks are the best looking trucks ever made.
glad we could help make up your mind
4500 sounds good, 3500 sounds better
i paid 2500 for mine in very nice shape 20 yrs ago
Old 09-29-2010, 04:42 AM

I talked to the guy yesterday and hes very interested in my old Iroc and my 54 chevy trk ,I smell a trade in the air...
My plan is to do a few minor things like put a seat in it and just drive it .Well I'll have to bag it first but thats it ..its also been clipped already ...If I do anything at all to it I'll box the frame and chop it but the trucks are pretty much perfect just the way they are.
I'd rather drive a primed 55 than any run of the mill newer truck ..same goes for a car too.
Funny,I did make the mistake of telling the wife of my plan to get a truck and that I found one for 4,500 ...WHAT !!!! for that kind of money it better be like new ,she said...I told her it was pretty nice but I may have forgot to tell her the year it was made.Pics are coming, I'll be sure to get one of her expression when she first sees it.
Sometimes building a rod takes more than just money and knowledge...
Old 09-29-2010, 12:15 PM
56' Chevy Streetrod

Last photo:

Ive got a 56 Chevy Truck for sale, I hate to get rid of it but I just don't have the time and income to finish it. Im considering all trade and cash offers. You can view it on the classifieds section.
Old 09-29-2010, 05:42 PM

Last photo:

DBM , Bag it ? , box the frame ? , chop it ? Drive it in primer I understand, I shot a coat of primer on my 57 last January now its all one color and low maintenance for driving back and forth to work.
Gene
Old 09-30-2010, 06:58 AM

If this all works out ,the first thing I'll do is install air ride,so I can have the best of both worlds,a nice hwy ride and something that'll tow my big trailer...Plus it'll look good in thedriveway sittin on the rockers...
Boxing the frame will give some extra strength for hauling too..
If I do anything at all to the body it'll be a slight chop maybe 2" but that'll be later on down the line..
The guy has one with a 4" chop and it looks pretty good but maybe a little too much...
I'll use it as a truck not a trailer queen so the paint will come later and even then it'll only be a SS like Nason Ful-Thane ,so scratches wont bother me...
You guys have some great looking trucks and I just gotta have one...I'll be asking a ton of questions once I get this and its nice knowing everything I'll ever need to know is right here...It wouldnt surprise me if the guy I'm getting it from is a member here also...
Old 10-01-2010, 11:15 AM

Last photo:

Hello Guys it has been a long time.I am finally getting my life and my head back together.I am picking up the wrenches today and all weekend.I have to fix the things I have neglected for so long.Got to change the wheel bearings on the 98 then tie rod ends on the saturn and put the new muffler on the motor home.On the up side the contractor is supposed to come bid the concrete in the new shop on Saturday.After the concrete is done I can put the 58's in the shop and get started on the rebuild.It will be nice to work indoors this winter No more tools lost in the snow for the winter I will soon be done working on the halve to's and get on to the want to's LIFE IS GOOD!
Old 10-02-2010, 08:42 AM
the 'Duracell Project'

Last photo:

dbm
if you have the time, read all 2k posts in this thread. lots of good info in here.
sounds like we're drinking the same kool-aid

dd
your not going to miss working on your back in a snow drift.
post pics of shop progress
welcome back, i can't even imagine.
Old 10-02-2010, 09:32 PM

Last photo:

55 3100

I just bought a 55 3100 and I am needing a little advice, my goal is to put a IFS on this truck from now I want to drive it a little before I take it apart for a major rework. some one did a cheap lower job by removing leafs where is a good scorce for some additonal springs to raise it just a little. My most urgent need is a steering rod with the ball typr ends. does some one makes these still?

As I figue this site out I will post some pics to give you a Idea what I am starting with. Some one did most of the hard work it just need detailed and finished.

When we are all done we will convert it to Natural Gas using Hilborn stacks and a MEFI5 EFI, We can do the software our self. CNG is only $1.30 per gallon here.
Old 10-03-2010, 06:32 AM

Last photo:

Finally started!

After having the truck a few years I finally got around to tearing it down so I can work on it this winter. I have a 58 1 ton dually and I bought a 1972 3/4 ton frame to move the body to. I wan tto keep it a dually so I'm going to move the dually rear end to the 72 frame.

I need to find the rubber bushings for the leaf srping setup. Any ideas?

I'll try to post some pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bed off small.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	48584   Click image for larger version

Name:	Engine3 small.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	48585   Click image for larger version

Name:	front of dually spring small.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	48586   Click image for larger version

Name:	Interior small.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	48587   Click image for larger version

Name:	front off small.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	48588  

Old 10-03-2010, 06:34 AM

Last photo:

72 rear

Here's the current rear end on the 72 3/4 ton frame. It's an eaton. I will likely sell it to help finance the project.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	72 frame.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	191.5 KB
ID:	48589   Click image for larger version

Name:	rear front.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	48590   Click image for larger version

Name:	rear rear.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	48591  
Old 10-03-2010, 09:22 AM

HEY 58, Is THAT a .....409 ????? holly crap!!!
I've been toying around with the idea of using a shortend dually rear myself..

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.