55 to 59 chevy truck owners - Page 131 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2010, 09:30 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre
dbm
if you have the time, read all 2k posts in this thread. lots of good info in here.
sounds like we're drinking the same kool aid
LOL I'm trying to read few pages when ever I can...it tough enough just keeping up with the new stuff...But when that truck is in my driveway I'll get real serious...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2010, 12:43 PM

Last journal entry: brakes
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

stopping my 55

took the drums to a local machine shop and got the hubs pressed out, this conversion is taking a little longer than i would like but its been an enjoyable frustration nonetheless. here are some challenges so far:

-driver side backing plate of the drum is "stuck", the bottom left bolt isn't moving and the angle is bad for driving it out. the axle is in the way of making a clean strike to drive out.
-i had cut and grinded the rivets to be flush with the hub, and was only able to drive 1 of them out. with the proper punch, i should be able to accomplish this.
-i need to verify that the tapered roller bearings i purchased are correct (A3 and A6).
-should i paint any of the conversion parts to protect against rust?

Why can't McGahee hold on to the ball!!!!

I'm also having starting problems, which i'll tackle when i knock out the breaks. i'm thinking i could do the following:

-carb rebuild, i have a 2g rochester
-new plugs?
-check/replace connections from cap to plugs?

any advise would be appreciated!
Old 10-03-2010, 01:29 PM
the 'Duracell Project'

Last photo:

58apache
welcome to the board. nice project there, 58-59 are the best of the best; don't let anyone else here know that.

normaly i preach to leave your truck on the stock frame, but there are minimal aftermarket parts available for the 3/4 ton and up frames. i own a 59 3800 panel truck that came factory with a 4.7something rearend gears, the only other option in the 3800 was the 5.12. so the best you have is 4.7something gear set with a cruising speed of 45 mph.

the 72 probably has 3.73 gear that is a lot more roadworthy with highway speed of 65-70 mph. you might rethink selling that rearend.

good luck either way.
Old 10-03-2010, 02:29 PM
Another transplanted Okie

Last journal entry: DMV Trip
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman
HEY 58, Is THAT a .....409 ????? holly crap!!!
I've been toying around with the idea of using a shortend dually rear myself..
Could be a 348. Either way, I want one...
Old 10-03-2010, 03:14 PM

Last photo:

My guess is a 348 , thats the first year for a 348. I would hang on to it and tell everyone its a 409. I'd like to have one for my 57 but I already got a 350 and to put together a 348/409 gets kinda pricey
Old 10-03-2010, 03:23 PM

Last photo:

You guys seen the adds in car magazines for the new aluminum 409s, I think Dart and Lamar Waldon are doing them. Then with a pair of Edlebrock aluminum heads, less weight than a small block and I think they will bore and stroke out to well over 500 cubes. (Cubic Dollars)
Old 10-03-2010, 05:46 PM

DAMMMM, I havent even heard 409 in twenty years...
Trying to punch out a rivit usually only makes it tighter ,try drilling a hole through it first
Old 10-03-2010, 06:40 PM
the 'Duracell Project'

Last photo:

isn't 348 a pontiac or cadilac motor?
i had a 56 gmc truck with a similar stock motor
everyone i talked to said it was a caddy or pontiac motor
gmc was using what they had
i saw that motor and thought gmc
but it had bow tie valve covers
if it was stock it would be a chevy 265
the only chevy v8 option for that yr
Old 10-03-2010, 06:48 PM
the 'Duracell Project'

Last photo:

[QUOTE=Yellow55]I just bought a 55 3100 and I am needing a little advice, my goal is to put a IFS on this truck from now I want to drive it a little before I take it apart for a major rework. some one did a cheap lower job by removing leafs where is a good scorce for some additonal springs to raise it just a little. My most urgent need is a steering rod with the ball typr ends. does some one makes these still?

yellow55
napa still carries tie rod ends and drag links (steering box to spindle) for these trucks. chances are your steering box has some play too. the steering box is adjustable.

what is the problem with your leaf springs? need a little info here. pictures would help too.
Old 10-03-2010, 07:00 PM

AHHH 265 the first chevy v8...I had a heck of a time trying to find the oil filter back when I was sixteen...
Old 10-03-2010, 08:28 PM
Another transplanted Okie

Last journal entry: DMV Trip
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre
isn't 348 a pontiac or cadilac motor?
i had a 56 gmc truck with a similar stock motor
everyone i talked to said it was a caddy or pontiac motor
gmc was using what they had
i saw that motor and thought gmc
but it had bow tie valve covers
if it was stock it would be a chevy 265
the only chevy v8 option for that yr
The GMC motor was a 347 Pontiac, like what came stock in my 57. The 348/409 was Chevy's first big block motors. Distinctive for their unique valve covers. They phased them out when the 396 was released.
Old 10-03-2010, 10:10 PM

Last photo:

55 3100

OGRE Thanks for the NAPA tip. That is the last place I would have looked. Some dope took all but one spring out on both front and back. My local spring shop said they can help me with the right springs. I want to keep it low but I dont want to sink a ton of money. I can't tear it compley down this winter so I just want to fix it right now. Next winter the plan is a IFS and a power rack with a drop spindle. Im going to try to post some pics. So far I have got a lot of good ideas from this lounge. I have been racing for a long time this is my first hot rod. I can't wait to dive into this project.

I'm pretty sure power brakes are in my near future!!!!
Old 10-03-2010, 11:24 PM

Last photo:

Well most people would think it's a 409, because it's so hard to tell a 409 from a 348. This is actually a 348, which came before the 409, and was THE FIRST actuall "Big Block" for Chevy. I don't know for a fact that this was the original engine or not.

My plans are to rebuild this engine when funds permit. I toyed with the idea of putting a 409 crank in it to stroke it. I am not sure I need to though as that dually has some tall gears! I think top cruising speed will be about 50 mph if I don't put in an overdrive.

Thinking seriously about leaving the manual 4 speed in there, but may go automagic ...not sure yet. I have a TH400 that needs rebuilt.

My thoughts are, if I NEED a truck ...make it be versitile! besides, how many classic duallys are out there? Not many!

Steve
Old 10-04-2010, 06:00 PM
the 'Duracell Project'

Last photo:

yellow55
napa still has a lot of stuff for our trucks in stock. all brake parts, king pin rebuilds and steering parts.

removing springs is a good way to break the remaining leafs in your springs
this pic is a 89 trans am rear w/disk brakes and 3.26 gears flipped on top of stock springs.

this set-up will drop you about half the stock ride height, it will also hit the snubbers going over railroad tracks...
i used all the stock springs except for the 2 thick overload springs on the bottom.
you should be able to pick up a set of stock springs from a hotrodder removing theirs.
i posted my front axle with springs, rear axle and 4 rims with new tires on a forum: free to good home!
i had a guy drive 5 hrs to pic everything up. i threw a bunch of stuff in his truck

if you can't find freebies and before you stick a bunch of money in a set of spring
look at doing an ifs. i used a fatman with stock spindles. i think drop spindles would make it un-streetable

Old 10-04-2010, 06:03 PM
the 'Duracell Project'

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman
AHHH 265 the first chevy v8...I had a heck of a time trying to find the oil filter back when I was sixteen...
also why they only lasted 30k miles before burning 3 qts of oil per tank of gas

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.