55 to 59 chevy truck owners - Page 142 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2010, 03:47 PM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57halfton
This is going to sound a little crude , but like olnolan said take a magnet and go over the entire truck looking for places where the magnet won't stick (thick layers of bondo) . Also take a ice pick or pocket knife with you and where there are rusty blisters in the paint like inside the cab above the windshield check and see if its surface rust or rusted all the way through (rotted out) see if the sharp object goes all the way through. It looks like the bed is raised up a couple of inches.
IMO it dosen't look like something you could get running and drive, it looks like a full body off / frame up project and that takes ALOT of time and MONEY. I wouldn't pay much for it , let us know how much he wants for it.
Sorry about being so negative, Gene
No problem that's why i ask you guy's in this thread , I wanted the harsh truth . I want to know what to expect and what to look for.

Cole

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2010, 03:48 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre
orge is a round fruit
Sorry ogre, Didn't mean to call you a round fruit.

Cole
Old 12-14-2010, 05:28 PM

Last photo:

I was looking at the pic of the rear and at how high it sits, I noticed it looks to me like it has a set of at-least 4 inch lifting blocks under it.

Cole
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rearview.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	997.0 KB
ID:	50834  
Old 12-14-2010, 05:30 PM

Last photo:

Just checked to see if the pic i just posted worked and it did, Click the pic and when it shows in the window click it again and it will blow it up for you.

Cole
Old 12-14-2010, 07:58 PM
Another transplanted Okie

Last journal entry: DMV Trip
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Bmore, unless you know for a fact the 327/350 in your truck is stock, it could be either, regardless of any external indicators. To illustrate my point; 20 years ago I built a 327 using a 350 4-bolt main block and a large journal 327 crank. On that 327 I ran a factory Z/28 aluminum hi-rise manifold, which interfered with the HEI due to it's larger body. In that respect the Pertronix unit would give a more "original" look (if that matters).

Regardless of whether it is a 327 or a 350, it wouldn't really change your carb, intake, or distributor choices anyway. So I would move forward without knowing or caring too much which I had.

The HEI distributor is a clean, cheap, one wire option, if your motor is set in a position to allow for it. I have one in my 57 that I picked up for free. If you are changing from a points distributor to an HEI, make sure to remove the resistor block from your wiring harness and wire the HEI direct. Otherwise you may not be too impressed with the HEI.

TP
Old 12-14-2010, 08:16 PM
Another transplanted Okie

Last journal entry: DMV Trip
Last photo:

Cole, that 55 would look good in your garage!!! It sounds like you have a little time to go back over there and start checking it out closer. I noticed the bed seems to sit too high compared to the cab. Who knows why, the previous owner may have been a complete moron who couldn't attach a wheel to a bicycle. I'd check out the cab mounts though. I'd love to have that 455 in my 57 GMC. That would be cool. Those 455's ran strong even stock, plus they are relatively light.
What's it worth? How bad do you want it?
TP
Old 12-14-2010, 09:42 PM
56' Chevy Streetrod

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by eloc431962
No problem that's why i ask you guy's in this thread , I wanted the harsh truth . I want to know what to expect and what to look for.

Cole
Hey Cole, I just saw the truck, that one looks like there's gonna be alot of manual labor involved. Not to criticise to my favor because mine needs some work too, but at least most the hard work is done on mine and mine is a georgia truck so there wasn't hardly any rust. Plus I have all those new parts that will go with it. Tim.
Old 12-15-2010, 09:21 AM
TICK INSPECTOR

Last photo:

59 apache

hey Doubledick
I am building a 59 apache and googled a question and this thread popped up!!! So I joined the site and found a group of like minded gear heads so thanks. I am going to cut the cab off of a 91 chevy shortbed leaving the floorboard on the frame, Then doing the same to the 59 and set it onto the 91 floorboard.I have measured every angle on both trucks and they are very close so I don't expect too many problems at first!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3617.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	313.8 KB
ID:	50863   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3620.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	461.7 KB
ID:	50864   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3614.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	571.0 KB
ID:	50865   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3619.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	309.2 KB
ID:	50866   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3629.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	472.7 KB
ID:	50867  

Old 12-15-2010, 09:34 AM

Last photo:

Wow , now there is a new idea aeropaw, never heard that one before. Sounds like alot of work, fitting and welding. I'm sure all of us here would like to hear more about this plan of yours. Will this plan retain the steps inside the doors of the 59 cab ?
Old 12-15-2010, 11:16 AM
TICK INSPECTOR

Last photo:

59 apache

It could retain the steps, the measurements look good to do it but I am planning to narrow them to about half of their depth I would like more floorboard area.I think I would like to use the 91 seat and the front mounts may come into play.
Old 12-15-2010, 11:31 AM

Last photo:

From what I have heard the 88 and newer bench seats fit the 55/59 cabs real well. I have been looking for one for my 57.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:14 PM

Guys I am new to the site. I have a 55 Chevy truck. I started reading the first post Friday and finished Monday evening. I want to thank everyone for the information posted it really has helped me in deciding to put a Camero or Firebird front clip on my truck and use the rear end out of the car. I will have to hire someone to do the work, but I do the research. I just want to make sure that a Camero or Firebird 1970 to 1979 will work good with my 1955 Chevy truck. I have found a 1978 Pontiac Firebird that I may call on if I can use the front clip and rear end. Advise and thank you again.
tks, Marc
Old 12-15-2010, 03:31 PM
the 'Duracell Project'

Last photo:

eloc: you want the harsh truth? your ugly

i'm looking at the bed of your prospective truck
the lift blocks will come out, but i don't see any leaf springs
is the bed sitting on 4x6s?
looks like 4x6s bolted to the frame and the bed on top

none of this matters if your going to lower it (i wouldn't use stock springs)
but it will if your restoring
Old 12-15-2010, 03:44 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre
eloc: you want the harsh truth? your ugly

i'm looking at the bed of your prospective truck
the lift blocks will come out, but i don't see any leaf springs
is the bed sitting on 4x6s?
looks like 4x6s bolted to the frame and the bed on top

none of this matters if your going to lower it (i wouldn't use stock springs)
but it will if your restoring
Dang your right it does look like it's sitting on 4x6 or something, And i don't see any leaf springs either. Didn't think about it when i was looking at it,
So it's supposed to have leaf springs under it? I have so much to learn about these year truck But i alway's did like them and if i get this one or another if this don't pan out the work don't really bother me. This one here i already expected to do a frame off anyway. I will go down and look it over some more it turns out i know of the guy that has it now, he is a local tree trimmer that did some work for me a couple years ago, He told me i could look at more anytime i want till he figures out how much he wants for it.
I have never did a truck of this year, But with guy's like you around i know i can get it done.

Cole
Old 12-15-2010, 03:46 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vortectim
Hey Cole, I just saw the truck, that one looks like there's gonna be alot of manual labor involved. Not to criticise to my favor because mine needs some work too, but at least most the hard work is done on mine and mine is a georgia truck so there wasn't hardly any rust. Plus I have all those new parts that will go with it. Tim.

Yea i know it's going to be alot of work, If i even get it you never know.
And your is still on my mind Tim. You got a pretty sweet truck that you are working on. The one i am looking at local it's going to be a total restoration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadetreeTim
Cole, that 55 would look good in your garage!!! It sounds like you have a little time to go back over there and start checking it out closer. I noticed the bed seems to sit too high compared to the cab. Who knows why, the previous owner may have been a complete moron who couldn't attach a wheel to a bicycle. I'd check out the cab mounts though. I'd love to have that 455 in my 57 GMC. That would be cool. Those 455's ran strong even stock, plus they are relatively light.
What's it worth? How bad do you want it?
TP
Yea i going to go back and go over it better, After ogre pointed out that it may have a 4x6 or something holding it up in the back along with the lifting blocks. I will check the cab mounts to while i'm there.

And thank's to all of you for your help/replies about this project i am about to take on.

Cole

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.