55 to 59 chevy truck owners - Page 144 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2010, 05:28 PM
56' Chevy Streetrod

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre
aeropaw
welcome to the thread...

check out brothers one pice window kit.
i have them in my truck, i was going with vent windows.
mine were shot and would have cost twice as much to repair, than to buy the kit.

I have the one piece kit too, they are awesome, much better than look than those crappy dated vent windows.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2010, 10:58 PM
Another transplanted Okie

Last journal entry: DMV Trip
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vortectim
I have the one piece kit too, they are awesome, much better than look than those crappy dated vent windows.
I bought the Brothers kit as well. The best part (other than a cleaner look) is the amount of room you have to put your arm out the window.
Old 12-17-2010, 04:27 PM
the 'Duracell Project'

Last photo:

what happens to most frame swaps

while i believe some of you that want to swap frames on your truck will actualy finish the job.
i also believe most frame swaps end up like this project aka parts truck
Old 12-17-2010, 05:47 PM

Last photo:

X2 , I really don't understand why everyone wants to put an S10 frame under everything.
Old 12-18-2010, 12:56 AM

Last photo:

Framed

Indpendant front suspension for a much better ride, power steering for obvious reasons, and most important of all is front disc brakes without an expensive kit.
Old 12-18-2010, 05:52 AM

Last journal entry: brakes
Last photo:

pertronix

thanks for tips on the HEI. it sounds like i can go the pertronix route or a small cap HEI??

i've seen a few pertronix products, if anyone has any specific product info on what i would purchase, i would appreciate it. thanks!
Old 12-18-2010, 06:11 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57halfton
X2 , I really don't understand why everyone wants to put an S10 frame under everything.
Same here, the original frame is made for the body ,it seems like a lot of work for a nothing. A subframe is a lot easier,faster and cheaper but you need to know quite a bit to get it set up right,a fatman kit would be best if your budget could handle it...A friend of mine just had a whole frame built with all the goodies for 6,000 what a deal ,if you can afford it...
Old 12-18-2010, 09:58 AM
the 'Duracell Project'

Last photo:

that guy on ebay probably has $4k in parts and a buy it now price at $1200

6 grand for a complete roller?
if i paid myself $1/hr and really figured in all the little $2 to $10 parts i bought for my frame
i might have come out even by buying the roller and i wouldn't be riding on my bump stops half the time.
but what the heck, half the fun of getting there is the experience of getting there

i still say your better off with a mustII vs subframe
mine came with ss a-arms and all new parts for a little under $1900
any 60s or early 70s subframe will need a complete rebuild of all the components
and will still cost you $1000 to $1500 and a whole lot more labor to get under your truck
Old 12-18-2010, 10:12 AM
the 'Duracell Project'

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BmoreChevy55
thanks for tips on the HEI. it sounds like i can go the pertronix route or a small cap HEI??

i've seen a few pertronix products, if anyone has any specific product info on what i would purchase, i would appreciate it. thanks!
bmore
i don't know of a small cap hei that will work without a oem computer module
the pertronics is just a points replacement that you will never need to adjust again
they use a magnetic sensor to fire the the coil
it uses a regular coil, you don't need a different one and you also eliminate the condenser
summit has them for $80 but look around for a sale, they're all the same
my son has had the same pertronics on his elco for the past 8 yrs
i did recomend to him to keep a set of points handy in case it ever failed, but he hasn't had to use it
Old 12-18-2010, 10:46 AM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

I have run the pertronix conversion kits in 3 of my rides , And never had any problems. Well just one time and that was because someone hooked the battery up wrong fried a set then "HUMAN ERROR". Other then that they have alway's been good to me.JMO Just don't go off and leave the key on that can burn them up. But i myself would run them as have and i like them a cheap but good fix IMHO. L ike stated keep a set of points for extra security. The pertronix you can have a set in like 10 min or less easy job, JMO
you can install them with the distributor in or out i have done both.

Cole
Old 12-18-2010, 02:53 PM

Yup,6,000 for a complete bolt on roller..of coarse, he had to bring the old frame to them (one of those fat fenderd cars) but it only took a couple days and Charlotte is just a few hrs away from here.
When I subed mine I only had to put control arm bushings in it ,I threw all the other stuff out and used a pwr rack....ball joints ,wheel bearings and rotors were all still in good shape but still cheap ,ez to find and replace...I do like those (expensive)tubular control arms and I'll up date with them later on when I can better afford them. But all and all I had a good time installing my subframe and learned a lot about suspensions and whats interchangable... I also used 12" rotors from a 95 impalia on my 80 camero subframe .Sure, the job was a lot of work but I'll do it all again on my next one.I enjoy fabricating and welding ,why let someone else have all the fun...
Those pre made kits sure are nice and a lot easier to install though....
Old 12-18-2010, 03:41 PM

Last photo:

My 2 Cents

I'm kinda like DBM, I like fabrication work but, only if it ain't there to begin with. Like if I bought a truck with no front ent. I enjoy fixing things and make them work right again and maybe improve them more. Old fashioned, hard headed, call me whatever, but I'm not gonna butcher the suspension out of my truck and put anything under it. I'm just gonna rebuild and improve whats there. I'll accept the leaf spring front end with upgrades and keep the truck original to what it is. I'll take DD's word that with swaybars and the right shock package and power steering they don't ride that bad. The '58 I used to have actually rode good as a daily driver, but could have used power steering and more horsepower. Okay that's my 2 pennies. olnolan
Old 12-18-2010, 11:02 PM

Last photo:

Frame

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman
Yup,6,000 for a complete bolt on roller..of coarse, he had to bring the old frame to them (one of those fat fenderd cars) but it only took a couple days and Charlotte is just a few hrs away from here.
When I subed mine I only had to put control arm bushings in it ,I threw all the other stuff out and used a pwr rack....ball joints ,wheel bearings and rotors were all still in good shape but still cheap ,ez to find and replace...I do like those (expensive)tubular control arms and I'll up date with them later on when I can better afford them. But all and all I had a good time installing my subframe and learned a lot about suspensions and whats interchangable... I also used 12" rotors from a 95 impalia on my 80 camero subframe .Sure, the job was a lot of work but I'll do it all again on my next one.I enjoy fabricating and welding ,why let someone else have all the fun...
Those pre made kits sure are nice and a lot easier to install though....

Is there a VIN stamped on the 55-59 frame? I can't seem to find one. My truck was the unfortunate victim of a hit-and-runner who busted the rear axle & bent the frame. does the DMV care if i have a different frame underneath the body? anyone have any tips for massaging a frame rail back into place?

Thanks,

Abe
Old 12-19-2010, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweedleDee
Is there a VIN stamped on the 55-59 frame? I can't seem to find one. My truck was the unfortunate victim of a hit-and-runner who busted the rear axle & bent the frame. does the DMV care if i have a different frame underneath the body? anyone have any tips for massaging a frame rail back into place?

Thanks,

Abe
post some pics and we'll give you our opinions ...
Old 12-19-2010, 08:41 AM

Last photo:

tweedleDee the vin should be on the top of the frame -drivers side -by the cab. My 59 had it under the cab just a little bit.I never checked the frame on this 58.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.