55 to 59 chevy truck owners - Page 149 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2011, 06:36 AM
TICK INSPECTOR

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Too Quiet

Been too busy taking care of snow and frozen pipes to work on my truck. We have had way too much snow and cold and are not equiped to handle it. I can't wait to get back to my truck and relax a little!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	deer-2010 022.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	631.5 KB
ID:	51755   Click image for larger version

Name:	deer-2010 033.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	582.6 KB
ID:	51756   Click image for larger version

Name:	deer-2010 021.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	795.9 KB
ID:	51757  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2011, 09:04 AM

Last photo:

Winter has been killing me up here in Ely.The last month came with sub zero weather and way too much snow,18 inches of snow in my yard and the 42 below day killed the remote start in my van.Can't work in the shop when you have to bring the temp up 97 degrees to be in a room that is 55 degrees some day it might warm up
Old 01-17-2011, 08:31 PM
Another transplanted Okie

Last journal entry: DMV Trip
Last photo:

Glad to hear from you guys even if you are on hiatus due to weather. I tend to forget how bad winter gets in some areas. Even when I lived in Oklahoma City the weather rarely got so bad you couldn't work in the garage most of the time.
Tim
Old 01-18-2011, 06:39 AM
TICK INSPECTOR

Last photo:

we typically don't have this weather, I ride my Harley year round usually, but not this year. Cabin fever is starting to set in. Maby a snowmobile would fix me!
Old 01-18-2011, 11:13 AM
the 'Duracell Project'

Last photo:

DD i feel for you. se michigan has been around 20 high to single digit lows.
10'' of snow on the ground that is rapidly disappearing.
it's raining and 34 today but forecast cooold for tomorrow.

areopaw; you guys in the south are getting nailed this winter.
my son works construction in knoxville and my daughter is in nashville.

i'm getting ready to start on my winter list:
fix cruise control, it's in but needs a relay
vintage air ac, bad expansion valve that requires gutting the interior to get at.
finish my fiberglass door panels, www.fiberglassforums.com
wire in trunk release
make seat pedestal covers
fix gas pedal so i can get wot. a major pain to do.
and lots of little 10 min jobs while the interior is out.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:24 AM
'58 Longbox Fleetside

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre
DD i feel for you. se michigan has been around 20 high to single digit lows.
10'' of snow on the ground that is rapidly disappearing.
it's raining and 34 today but forecast cooold for tomorrow.
Oh man I'd kill for that weather. Drove to work this morning -14 out with a slight breeze that set the windchill down to a balmy -30. Have right around 24" of snow on the ground. Blech. Spring can't come soon enough.

This has been a crummy winter for everybody sounds like.

Time to restore some factory gauges I think..that can be done in the warm house at least.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:26 AM

Last journal entry: Nothing
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadetreeTim
Glad to hear from you guys even if you are on hiatus due to weather. I tend to forget how bad winter gets in some areas. Even when I lived in Oklahoma City the weather rarely got so bad you couldn't work in the garage most of the time.
Tim
No hiatus for me ShadetreeTim,

I got a lot done due to the wonderful Southern Cal weather we've had of late. I was able to roll the truck in the backyard and leave it there for the past two weeks. This allowed me to have the room I need to get some things done.
I got my seats installed, shifter mockeup, smooth my steps, and mocked up my flip hood kit. Now I can focus on the panel alignments and I feel like I'm cooking with gas.lol My wife let me have some free time to get some stuff done. All I need now is the funds to finish this thing.

Old 01-18-2011, 11:39 AM
the 'Duracell Project'

Last photo:

unique smoothed steps mkabwe
was that a have to or want to?

ps. you need to learn how to shoot primer
Old 01-18-2011, 11:47 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre
unique smoothed steps mkabwe
was that a have to or want to?

ps. you need to learn how to shoot primer
Everything I do is have to, if I want it I have to have it.lol I am by no means a stock person, but I do respect people that are. I like to use my creativity. Shooting primer and paint is not a problem for me, the cab has been in bare metal for 2 years and the only surface rust that happened is in the last 3 weeks because its been outside and it rained once.lol I did put plastic over the cab. Not really worried about fenders I have 2 sets and don't know which ones I finally going use until I take them down to bare metal. Picklex20 is sprayed on it and its done a great job so far. We can get away with certain things in cali.

Last edited by mkabwe; 01-18-2011 at 11:59 AM.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:50 AM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last journal entry: car with tt2's, (stockers going back on)
Last photo:

DONT really hang on this thread but prolly shoulda. seein as how i am answering posts over ONE HUNDRED PAGES AGO!!! HOLY CRAP! go back to about page 26 and maybe this post might show some relevance! ugh!

that torpedo your talking about is called fender spears.
a post (page 26 or so) shows the rubber weatherstripping that goes behind the inner fender. there is also rubber than goes along the front of the cowl under the hood.

as for blowing crap out of the drains under the cowl, all of us should have done that at least once, if you havent it's clogged up and rusting. i like your idea of blowing it out with a pressure washer although i would hope a good car wash would do it., then just pour a pile of por15 down it, maybe collect the run off underneath and reuse it somewhere.

xllx guy with the flat bed. i think the quality of your work is excellent but i am not personally down with the flatbed. you should be able to see all over the place, tho not as common as a few years ago, people pulling their yard waste trailers around made from good tri5 boxes, if that is something paletable to you. i do have a tip for you and anybody else filling the gas filler hole:
go to your local electrical supply house and get (i think a 3") three piece knock out seal. it is about $2 and will fit right in that hole, weld it, some bondo and poof, done deal. look for a Consolidated Electrical Distributor, North Coast Electric, All Phase, Platt, etc etc. not something you will find at a home depot or lowes. oh by the way, the smaller sizes are AWESOME for filling the holes in our firewalls!!!!! awesome awesome awesome!

e brake cables? ha, i wish, one thing i dont got. but i am sporting a 7:1 granny low with 4:56 gears. so far has kept me from rolling away. god i just saw a kid roll off a hill and over a cliff in his toyota, well, he wasnt in the truck, we all just watched it go bye-bye. two winches later, wiped side, smashed rear end, mashed cab, broken windshield, and a whole lotta pain. never use third gear as a parking brake.

as for steering columns, i used one from a 79 (my donor chassis) and i had no issues other than having to use a flaming river double ujoint steering shaft. it has operated great for the last nine years, however the stainless has rusted. within one year. i had to paint it with clear.

maybe if you guys find a time machine you can go back to when this post mattered. hahaha!

Last edited by bullheimer; 01-18-2011 at 12:03 PM.
Old 01-18-2011, 02:35 PM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Hey mcabwe, Sunny Cali????? I hate you and your steering wheel is ugly, I've been freezing here in Ga. too Even had snow for three days.
At least someones working on thier ride...send more pics
Old 01-18-2011, 02:56 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman
Hey mcabwe, Sunny Cali????? I hate you and your steering wheel is ugly, I've been freezing here in Ga. too Even had snow for three days.
At least someones working on thier ride...send more pics
Life's too short to hate, its just wasted energy that should be spent working or cars.lol You do know you are not the first to say my steering wheel is ugly right?lol I keep it in the garage just to move projects around so its ugly butt functional just like some of my past one night stands.lol

Last edited by mkabwe; 01-18-2011 at 03:09 PM.
Old 01-18-2011, 04:22 PM
the 'Duracell Project'

Last photo:

mkabwe
x2 on what DBM said, except for his whining about 3 days of snow and cold in GA.
i'll be happy if we get 3 mths of snow...

i can vouch for pickle-x, i used it on my bed that sat for 6 yrs blasted.
every spring when it gets warm, but my barn is cold, water would condense and run off the bare metal.
it sat 2 yrs too long and eventually rusted and i had to blast it again.

bullheimer
i've seen your truck on this forum
about time you got to this thread
2100+ posts in here
Old 01-18-2011, 04:34 PM

Last photo:

OMG The world is so full of hate, just hating on people because the live in So Cal where the good weather is.lol
Old 01-18-2011, 09:38 PM
Almost Done... hahaha

Last photo:

hey everyone new guy here with a new project...

Okay guys, finally got a little time to start working on the new project, the 55 chevy truck, it has a 350ci 4 bolt main from a 79 vette bored .060 over, it has an edelbrock 1406 600CFM 4 barrel carb on it. When i got the truck the guy said it needed a spray of starter fluid to start up because the accelerator pump plunger needed to be replaced. However after a little spray of starter fluid it would start and run/drive happy enough. He also said he unhooked the choke because it is a "race" engine and shouldn't be choked, so as of right now the choke blade is open as seen in the picture below. Any way... I took the carb off and took it apart today, swapped out the accel pump plunger and gave it a healthy carb cleaner/wire brush scrubbing as it was pretty dirty. When i went to start the truck again it now fires over instantly but immeadiatly runs away toward redline, i hit the kill switch and it shuts off, i tried a couple of times and waited abount an hour and tried again but it still does it, i checked the throttle linkage and the return spring is pulling it to fully closed, any ideas?

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.