55 to 59 chevy truck owners - Page 15 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2007, 10:54 AM
1955 2nd series Chevy Pick Up

Last journal entry: Body work and U bolts
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Tear down started

Ok guys I started the tear down of the truck to get the cab off so I can paint the frame and do any repairs the cab might need. I believe the cab will need repairs based on how bad the fenders were. So this is probably no big deal to most of you but this is the first time I will have taken a truck down to the frame.

My body work class starts in a few weeks so I have to get the cab off so I can bring it to school to work on it.

I am getting a lot of ideas from this thread and all the tri five truck owners out there. So who knows what the truck will look like when it is done. I need to finish it in about a year an a half so my oldest daughter can drive it to school in her senior year. She thinks the truck is cool! My youngest daughter name the truck "cheeks" when she was about 5. She walked out to the truck and put her hand on the back cab about where the gas filler is and said"Daddy your truck has cheeks." So the name has stuck. But I am rambling now. Any way check out the pic and there are a few more in my journal and let me know what you think.

http://hotrodders.com/journal_photos...1680152510.jpg

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2007, 02:57 PM
BigMike

Last photo:

Gator, you might find it easier to pull the bed off and get a group of friends to help lift the cab and have one person pull the frame out from underneath the cab. my whole truck is torn down exept for the suspension and cab. i just pulled to motor a couple night ago and was not fun. it was my first motor pull i have done. you might luck out with all the body work that needs to be done to the cab, but you never know what you will find. my lower fenders were bad and had some really bad back yard body shop work done to it. but my cab is just ok. it needs cab corners and rockers and steps. i hope everything goes well and keep us posted! Mike
Old 01-05-2007, 03:08 PM
BigMike

Last photo:

Can somone tell me how to get a custom avatar or what ever it is, lol and i just got my cardomain site up for my truck. check it out and tell me what you think! http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2540488

Last edited by Streamline55; 01-05-2007 at 03:42 PM.
Old 01-05-2007, 03:41 PM
BigMike

Last photo:

Sorry guys i know its my 3rd post in a row, but i just got my cardomain page up for my truck. check it out and tell me what you think!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2540488
Old 01-05-2007, 05:32 PM
DaveNTN

Last journal entry: The Dash is ready!
Last photo:

Cool pics Mike. Nothing like an ol truck to work on. I did get the master cylinder in today but it is going to take a different trans mount when I put the motor and trans back in. The mount has to bolt to the bottom of the frame instead of inbetween it. I can't wait to actually get to do a complete resto and take everything off of the frame. It would be so much easier doing the brake lines, upgrades, wiring etc with the bed and the cab and the front end off of the truck. Next one maybe. I also got the inside ripped out and the home made console out of the inside. Thinking about relocating the gas tank while I have all this apart. Waiting for some paint to dry so that I can attach the pedal tomorrow. Funny, someone had disconnected the clutch but left the pedal. I found it laying in the floor under the carpet. Here are a couple of gutted pics.

Mike, you have to email a pic to hotrodders.com and they set it as an avatar for you. It has to be a small file. There are instructions in the help menu.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	interior1.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	139.0 KB
ID:	17422   Click image for larger version

Name:	doghouse.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	17423  
Old 01-06-2007, 12:10 AM
BigMike

Last photo:

there are alot more pictures but i dont have the time to do all of that right now. i might try and pull my cab this weekend before i leave for minnesota. i found out my grandpa died 2 days ago. my mom woke me up at 6:30 in the mourning to tell me. so im hoping that i can get that done before i leave but we will see what happens.
Old 01-06-2007, 01:22 AM

Last photo:

You guys have been busy while I was down for a day or 2.Dave I have a 700r4 so my cross member is back a little farther so I just had to relocate the pulley for the stock parking brake.My master came with a plastic bottle with a 180 degree spout for filling the master from underneath.Some day I plan to relocate the tank under the body but it wont be easy since I have a spare tire and a tow hitch were the after market tanks go under the bed.Streamline55 that is a nice truck love to see those pictures.
Old 01-07-2007, 12:16 AM
DaveNTN

Last photo:

Got the power brake master cylinder in today. Looks like I may need to reroute the exhaust. Very close to the booster. Don't know if the heat will effect it or not. Took the front axle out today also. The right front spring fell apart. Gonna have to decide what to do about that. Not sure if I need to get these springs put back together or just go ahead and get a new set. They are over 45 years old. I'm putting in the drop axle and thinking about putting in the lowering springs also. Might lay it too low to the ground. Sure would like to find someone who has put in this lowering axle. It is suppose to lower the truck 3 inches. The mono spring would lower it another 3. I'm afraid 6 is a little too much and may cause some problems with the steering. Any input would be appreciated.
Dave
Old 01-07-2007, 01:12 AM

Last photo:

I just don't know Dave.did you check out the tech articles at brothers trucks or classic industries some one has to have one somewhere.
Old 01-07-2007, 01:31 AM
1955 2nd series Chevy Pick Up

Last journal entry: Body work and U bolts
Last photo:

Streamline, i think you are right I will pull the bed off first. I got the cab all stripped down tonight except for removing the gear shifter off my four speed. I forgot how to remove it. I have to look at the manual to remember. I do have two broken bolts to remove from the cab, one body mount and one seat bolt.
Old 01-07-2007, 11:39 AM
BigMike

Last photo:

gator, your truck should have a transmission plate in the cab and should have 8-10 clutch screws. remove those then that will give you access to the top of the transmission. unbolt the 7 or 8 bolts and you should be able to lift the shifter out of the way. well that was how mine came apart. good luck!
Old 01-07-2007, 11:48 AM
BigMike

Last photo:

hey DD, i was wondering did you make your tranny crossmember or what did you take it out of?
Old 01-07-2007, 06:10 PM
DaveNTN

Last photo:

Streamline, keep in mind that if you decide to put a power brake system with a booster on the truck, it will require a trans crossmember that bolts to the bottom of the frame instead of inside it. I just took off an aftermarket crossmember to install the new one so it doesn't interfere with the brakes. CPP carries both styles.

DD.... will the heat from my exhaust have any effect on the power booster or master cylinder. It is directly below and next to the brake system. I'm thinking I should reroute the exhaust with more room between it and the brakes.
Thanks,
Dave
Old 01-07-2007, 06:33 PM

Last photo:

I used a universal cross member that bolts to the bottom of the frame but installed it backward to allow room for the booster and drilled it for the 700r4 mount.Dave on page 10 post 143 has a picture that shows my exhaust about 5 inches away from my booster with no problems.If yours is much closer I would wrap the pipe with a heat shield just to be safe.In that same picture you can see my cross member and the spacer block I made the put the transmission at the right hight.Don't forget I raised my motor and moved it forward to center it on the radiator and make room for that 700r4 trans.Big blocks need more room.
Old 01-07-2007, 06:33 PM
BigMike

Last photo:

hey dave, i was planing on putting a bolt on crossmember on it because it was hell trying to pull my motor and tranny. im going to run a hydrolic assisted master cylinder out of a 80's chevy truck. i have everything i need, i just need to rebuild everying and make some new brackets for it all. that system was somthing my dad bought a while ago and came with the pump master cylinder and powersteering with the pitman arm still attached. we will see how easy of an install it will be! Mike

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.