55 to 59 chevy truck owners - Page 150 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2011, 09:43 PM
Almost Done... hahaha

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

also wondering who all has tried the Lokar 6074 throttle cable pedal on these trucks with a SBC and what their opinions are, the stock pedal is broken where the rod snaps into the pedal, i tried pushing it back into the hole where it is supposed to snap in but when it is there the rod binds on the floor board, the stoner who owned this truck before me did a lot of weird rigging on stuff and the throttle linkage is a huge issue, it is all lose and does not actually connect to the pedal, there is a lot of slop, and he used a damn zip tie to attach the return spring to the alternator assembly, i would like to get rid of all this and replace it with something good, i like the look of the lokar setup, but it is fairly pricey

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2011, 11:00 PM
Almost Done... hahaha

Last photo:

I am an IDIOT!!! Thanks to someone with a keen eye over at nastyz28 it is fixed, apparently when i put it all back together i put the linkage/spring on the wrong end of the throttle cam, as soon as i swapped it the truck fired right up... which of course led to the wife running out of the house yelling at me for firing up the truck at 10pm with the kid sleeping inside, but hey he's a boy he loves engine noise

now back to the whole Lokar pedal question, any tips/tricks to setting one up, just ordered my new pedal/cable/bracket from summit, should be here friday

Last edited by evilbeef54; 01-18-2011 at 11:21 PM.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:16 AM
the 'Duracell Project'

Last photo:

evilbeef
i looked at the same gas pedal for my 58 and it looked like the cable would run into the back of the motor.
i did go with lokar FMG-6098 Eliminator gas pedal and still ran into problems
i can not go WOT and need to modify it this winter.
not that i need wot but my trans does not kick down right
Old 01-19-2011, 03:03 PM

Last photo:

Welcome evilbeef54,

When installing the Lokar pedal lean it to the right so it looks like the stock set up at 20 degrees from vertical to the right.

If you're running an automatic that requires a T.P. Cable the Lokar pedal has a provision for it.

Have fun with your project. Check out my project on pages 119 & 120.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:32 PM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkabwe
OMG The world is so full of hate, just hating on people because the live in So Cal where the good weather is.lol
They get most of the good weather and ALL the hot girls, no rust, they can drive their hot rods all year round.....Whats not to hate.....mabee if you guys would send some pics of bikini clad girls at the beach we wouldnt feel so bad....Heck we cant even tell if were flirtin with a fat girl or not they got so much stuff on.....But it is kinda fun takin a poke at those yankees once and a while (I used to be one).....61 degrees today boys ,Ga's warmin up ,I think I even felt a little drop of sweat today.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:45 PM

Last photo:

Throttle Back

Looks to me like you have the idle adjust screw too far in. Disconnect the linkage to make sure it's not affecting it, and back the idle adjust screw (in front on the same lever as the throttle linkage) way out. Then start and see what happens.

By the way, I call "BS" on the choke removal. There's no such thing as an engine that don't need a choke unless you live in the desert and only start it in the summer.

I'd give that carb a complete rebuild with all new gaskets. Rebuild kits are cheap and get a new float if it/they don't come with the kit. I have only rebuilt quadrajets so I can't get specific on this one.

Steve
Old 01-19-2011, 07:26 PM
Almost Done... hahaha

Last photo:

good info steve, thanks, yeah i dont really believe a word that came out of the previous owner, that's why im gonna start re-doing EVERYTHING,

now it starts and runs i drove it around the block, went to check the timing and DAMN, it is at 25* at idle, doesnt seem to make a difference if the vac line is hooked to the carb or disconnected and plugged, my handheld vac gauge shows 17" at idle when it is in the middle of the line from carb to dizzy, when i disconnect the vac line from the dizzy and plug it the timing does not move at all, so im thinking the vac advance canister on the dizzy needs to be replaced, and i should bring the initial timing down a bit as it sometimes has a hard time starting and everyone in a while i get a soft popin sound at idle, correct? I vaugely remember going through this same issue with a 72 camaro i picked up a few years back.

Also, upon driving it around the block today i noticed a lot of play in the steering, i can turn the wheel about 30* before it really does anything, it is NOT power steering, what could be causing this... where do i go about inspecting?

Last edited by evilbeef54; 01-19-2011 at 07:37 PM.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:27 PM

Dizzy???? Thats Aussie....Gday mate.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:47 PM
Almost Done... hahaha

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman
Dizzy???? Thats Aussie....Gday mate.

okay, my bad, the distributor, lol, so what do you think, vac adv can jamed up, replace that and bring the initial timing back down?
Old 01-20-2011, 07:27 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58Apache

By the way, I call "BS" on the choke removal. There's no such thing as an engine that don't need a choke unless you live in the desert and only start it in the summer.

Steve
Yep. If you dont need a choke in cooler weather the carb is too rich at idle.
Old 01-20-2011, 04:06 PM
Almost Done... hahaha

Last photo:

yeah i didnt think that seemed right, now to find hardware to hook up a choke, i should just need a new cable i think, i'll have to check it out
Old 01-25-2011, 07:46 PM
56' Chevy Streetrod

Last photo:

Header Choice for MII IFS with power rack

Hey guys recently encountered a problem with a header selection on my 56. I ordered a set of hooker full length's and they would not work at all because they blocked the linkage hookup on the power rack. I don't like shorty headers. It's ok if I had to run the linkage in between the tubes. I just don't want to order and return another set. I would really like to have a set of long tube block huggers. Im runnin a 350 sbc and 4 speed. Can anyone that used the IFS help me?? Any suggestions???
Old 01-25-2011, 08:17 PM

Last photo:

Hey ,Tim
I had a set of Hookers on my pickup from a 68 Camaro , they fit but I thought they hung down too far so I went to semi shorties from Headman for a 64 to 67 small block Chevelle. They are not your typical shortie header. Gene
Old 01-25-2011, 09:17 PM
56' Chevy Streetrod

Last photo:

Hey thanks Gene, I'll look into those. This column to the rack problem is just another one to ad to the list. Im starting to wonder if there is gonna be anything I won't have to modify on this truck. Thanks again.
Old 01-26-2011, 04:32 AM

I ve had similar problems that had a simple cure....I raised the motor or you can move the column or both ,uv joints were a big help when things get real tight

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.