55 to 59 chevy truck owners - Page 159 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2011, 09:20 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

rust conversion

has anybody used one of the rust conversion coatings and if so, which one and did it work...my 59 apache is under construction...i can cut and weld on cab corners and rockers, but door hinge pockets tend to look a little more difficult...i have some rusted areas that aren't completely ate up and was thinking about using some of the diff conversion products. i really want to do as much to this truck as i can, with my 3 yr old helping me...gonna be a father/grandfathers present...any how, thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2011, 02:56 AM

Hi I used one of the rust conversion coatings. For me the first one is effective.
Old 04-25-2011, 12:20 PM
the 'Duracell Project'

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDO
I'm thinking of doing a PS conversion. Info/advice on which kits?

Anything I need to consider with regards to motor mounts, lowering? Specifically, a 57 3100 with the original V8 (283) conversion front motor mounts. I plan to upgrade to a 350 (zz4) so should I look at the side motor mounts? If so, which ones? Future plans are to go with a 3" dropped axle. Any known issues there? I appreciate all the info/help. Ran a thread search but came up empty.

Many thanks!
ldo
if you keep the stock bell housing with rubber mounts on it, you need to keep the front motor mounts. if you change the bell housing and trans to a newer style with the mount on the trans, then you need to use side mounts.
all sbc motor have the bosses for the front motor mount, you will probably need to drill and tap the holes for the motor mount, some holes may be there as gm used those for accessory mounts.

personally i like the mustII conversion. it gives you half the stock ride height, power steering and disc brakes. of course you will need to upgrade your column and mc, but you should any way. i have a fatman mustII in my truck

read thru this thread, there are a lot of this same discussion in this thread
Old 04-25-2011, 12:25 PM
the 'Duracell Project'

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by madfrog
has anybody used one of the rust conversion coatings and if so, which one and did it work...my 59 apache is under construction...i can cut and weld on cab corners and rockers, but door hinge pockets tend to look a little more difficult...i have some rusted areas that aren't completely ate up and was thinking about using some of the diff conversion products. i really want to do as much to this truck as i can, with my 3 yr old helping me...gonna be a father/grandfathers present...any how, thanks in advance for any suggestions.
best way to find out where your rust areas are is to sand blast the cab. i thought my cab was in way better shape than it was; until i sand blasted it

hit it with some epoxy primer after blasting it.
Old 04-25-2011, 12:30 PM

Last photo:

Ogre,
thanks for the reply. The PO of the truck installed a trans cross member with the mount on the trans but retained the front motor mounts.

Can/should I just bolt the motor mount to the engine block (block has bosses) and use the current placement of the motor to determine frame positioning of the mounts?

Is it possible to move motor forward a little (for ease of HEI distributor installation)?

I've looked into the IFS kits and will prolly have just as much or more invested by doing it piece by piece but would like to keep the solid axle, maybe I'll change my mind. I guess the 'long pole in the tent' is the fact that I can't weld and there aren't too many places I'd trust to weld it up for me.
Old 04-25-2011, 01:01 PM
the 'Duracell Project'

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDO
Ogre,
thanks for the reply. The PO of the truck installed a trans cross member with the mount on the trans but retained the front motor mounts.
bad idea. with front mount and rear trans mount your motor mounts are too far apart and there is nothing to stop the motor from twisting from torque. with the front & bell housing mounts; the bell housing mounts are the main heavy duty mount to resist torque. with the side mounts & trans mount; the side mounts are the main mount to resist torque. it may have worked for you low torque 283, but you will have serious issues with any higher torque motor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDO
Can/should I just bolt the motor mount to the engine block (block has bosses) and use the current placement of the motor to determine frame positioning of the mounts?
the new side mounts? yes. that is what i did on my truck a long time ago. it came with a 350, front mounts and trans mount. if you lock the brakes and hit the gas the motor would rock violently from side to side. i couldn't keep exhaust donuts in it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDO
Is it possible to move motor forward a little (for ease of HEI distributor installation)?

I've looked into the IFS kits and will prolly have just as much or more invested by doing it piece by piece but would like to keep the solid axle, maybe I'll change my mind. I guess the 'long pole in the tent' is the fact that I can't weld and there aren't too many places I'd trust to weld it up for me.
the motors in our trucks are already too far forward. it already has to much weight on the front axle and too little out back. look into a petronix conversion, or cut out the firewall to allow for the hei cap. bad photo, but you can see what i did to get my hei cap in there.

seriously? you need to learn to weld or pay the big $$ to get it done.
some may think i have a big $$ truk, but i did all the work myself. i also did my time on my back in gravel driveways doing this stuff before i was able to build a garage (also built by me).
Old 04-25-2011, 01:24 PM

Last photo:

ok,
so side motor mounts. Any particular brand, vendor or style? My 283 has the bosses and holes for the side motor mounts. Don't want/need anything fancy.

Speedway has some. Item 7204771

can't see your pic here at work but when i get home, i'll take a look. PO installed an MSD distributor with a (remote mount) blaster SS coil. Seems to work fine and I'm sure it will be fine for the future crate 350 as well, I was just thinking about the HEI that comes with it. Guess I'll sell that...

You are right about learning to weld, I'll look into the local college & see if they offer a class. I'm sure it will pay for itself long term!

Thanks for all the help.

Last edited by LDO; 04-25-2011 at 01:44 PM.
Old 04-25-2011, 03:32 PM
the 'Duracell Project'

Last photo:

those motor mount look pretty light weight,
but they do bolt in.
i made (welded) my own.
they didn't cost that much.
aka free

i cut them out when i did my mustII
if you could weld, i'd give them to you

these are mine now

Old 04-25-2011, 06:01 PM

Last photo:

Here's a 57 somewhere in the valley for sale. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevr...item20b8ccabd5
Old 04-25-2011, 08:00 PM

Last photo:

well,
i came home today after work and got some pretty serious news. Seeing as I've got a birthday comming, the wife ordered me a zz4 crate motor.....

So there are some serious issues I need to work out to get ready for the arrival.

Obviously, I need motor mounts.

i need headers and a new exhaust system.

I need a new wiring harness. Looks like the PO installed the current harness at night with a butter knife....

Any advice on my new list of mods?
Old 04-26-2011, 01:31 PM
the 'Duracell Project'

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57halfton
Here's a 57 somewhere in the valley for sale. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevr...item20b8ccabd5
i hate you guys in salt free country

i would have paid 2x that for a rust free cab
Old 04-26-2011, 01:36 PM
the 'Duracell Project'

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDO

Any advice on my new list of mods?
box frame
fatmanfab mustII frontend
flip new rear axle
frame mounted tank
new MC power or not
all new brake lines
ez wire harness

that's just the frame
start right, end right
bodywork later
Old 04-26-2011, 03:03 PM

Last photo:

Ogre,
thanks. There are a few limitations I'm dealing with to include funding and my own abilities so let just stick with a few things.

Need advice on?

Motor mounts

EZ wire harness. Does it come with connectors, switches, etc...???

Headers & exhaust syst.
Old 04-29-2011, 01:10 PM

Last photo:

Sealed cowl

Hey Ogre, Did it make any difference by sealing up the cowl in the way of air noise inside the cab. I just about did mine years ago. I ordered a solid piece from No Limit, but sent it back. I cut the holes for the wipers out then laid it in place but the ends were too short. It was definitely not a good fit. They were good enough to refund my money though. Did you make your own?
Old 04-29-2011, 02:10 PM

Last photo:

just wondering as well, if you seal up the cowl, where does the heater/ac unit get it's fresh air from, inside the cab? that may not be the best for guys from cold climtes where windshields fog up and you want to get rid of high humidity air from inside the cab. have you had problems with fogging on rainy days where you had to use the heat as well?
dsraven

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.