55 to 59 chevy truck owners - Page 16 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2007, 05:37 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Streemline55 I got my cross member from Harmon they were cheaper than anyone else.just order on line at their web site.I don't have their catalog with me to give you their site address so you'll have to use a search engine to find it.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2007, 05:49 PM
BigMike

Last photo:

hey dd, i searched for the crossmember and i didnt find anything execpt for crotchrocket parts. i searched for harmon crossmember. what else might they sell?
Old 01-07-2007, 06:27 PM

Last photo:

www.harmons.com I just forgot to put on the "s"

Last edited by DOUBLEDICK; 01-07-2007 at 06:33 PM.
Old 01-07-2007, 06:57 PM
DaveNTN

Last journal entry: The Dash is ready!
Last photo:

I'm going to call CPP and see what they say about adding dropped leaf springs in conjunction with the drop axle. I think I'm going to go ahead and change out the springs regardless. Here is the proximity of the MC to the exhaust. It may be fine, not sure. I'll have to wait until I have everything hooked back up. Man.... this thing is gutted. No wires, no brake lines, no motor, no trans, no axle.... I hope I can remember how to put it all back together. Next in line is to get the holes in the firewall filled and the doghouse painted. I ordered one of the hole punchers from harbor freight. Gonna hold my plug in place with a magnet on the backside long enough to tack it and then finish it up. I'm developing a strange bond with this truck.
Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	underfenderHR.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	143.6 KB
ID:	17479   Click image for larger version

Name:	clearanceHR.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	17480  
Old 01-07-2007, 07:33 PM

Last photo:

That pipe is close. A wrap around heat shied may work that stuff is cheap and that is pretty far back from the head so allot of the heat has dissipated by time it gets that far back. The boosters in these new cars sit pretty close the exhaust manifold so as long as it isn't touching it should be OK.It wouldn't hurt to ask CCP.Just send them that picture

Last edited by DOUBLEDICK; 01-07-2007 at 07:43 PM.
Old 01-07-2007, 08:08 PM
BigMike

Last photo:

hey dd, thanks for the site. i hope that will be what i need, i want to do a manual tranny... but then again i can always make mounts for it. once again thank you so much. Mike
Old 01-07-2007, 08:15 PM
HEAD GREASEWHORE

Last journal entry: More
Last photo:

I bought a 58 a few years ago but its still sitting in my driveway waiting for someone i guess . me to get her started.......... a few more years and she could be converted into a flower planter i s'pose....

Pup
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	58 apache compressed.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	5.8 KB
ID:	17482  
Old 01-07-2007, 08:22 PM

Last photo:

Hey Luv, if you ever go to turn that into a flower planter, call me first ok???
Old 01-07-2007, 09:17 PM
DaveNTN

Last photo:

Me second.
DD... did you make your own brake lines when you converted your system?
Old 01-07-2007, 10:34 PM

Last journal entry: 57 pickup 8.8 rear axle install
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLEDICK
I used a universal cross member that bolts to the bottom of the frame but installed it backward to allow room for the booster and drilled it for the 700r4 mount.Dave on page 10 post 143 has a picture that shows my exhaust about 5 inches away from my booster with no problems.If yours is much closer I would wrap the pipe with a heat shield just to be safe.In that same picture you can see my cross member and the spacer block I made the put the transmission at the right hight.Don't forget I raised my motor and moved it forward to center it on the radiator and make room for that 700r4 trans.Big blocks need more room.
I put a 16ga. shield below my booster/master/lines to protect it from the exhaust and other road grime. It's removable in case I need to get at it.
Old 01-07-2007, 10:42 PM

Last journal entry: 57 pickup 8.8 rear axle install
Last photo:

[QUOTE=gator412]Ok guys I started the tear down of the truck to get the cab off so I can paint the frame and do any repairs the cab might need. I believe the cab will need repairs based on how bad the fenders were. So this is probably no big deal to most of you but this is the first time I will have taken a truck down to the frame.

My body work class starts in a few weeks so I have to get the cab off so I can bring it to school to work on it.

I am getting a lot of ideas from this thread and all the tri five truck owners out there. So who knows what the truck will look like when it is done. I need to finish it in about a year an a half so my oldest daughter can drive it to school in her senior year. She thinks the truck is cool! My youngest daughter name the truck "cheeks" when she was about 5. She walked out to the truck and put her hand on the back cab about where the gas filler is and said"Daddy your truck has cheeks." So the name has stuck. But I am rambling now. Any way check out the pic and there are a few more in my journal and let me know what you think.

Gator, when I pulled my cab off I set it on a dolly I made with 1" sq. tube and 4 small wheels the size of wheelbarrow wheels. I had it set up so I could tilt it forward or backward to work on the cab. I could send a pic if you like. When I was plugging holes on the firewall with the welder I used a magnetic welding ground cable clamp that had a brass center so the weld wouldn't stick.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:29 AM

Last photo:

Dave.Yes I used a cheapo tubing bender and new lines from NAPA.I ran one up the frame to the left front and used 2 lines with a fitting to hook them together.I ran it across at the stock cross member then down the frame to the right front.You can see the brake line running across the cross member in that first picture on post 143.I just used a tape measure to figure out how long of lines to buy.
Old 01-09-2007, 09:33 PM
DaveNTN

Last photo:

I bought a flairing tool but I haven't had much luck with it. Tried a few flares and can't seem to get it to work right. Must be a trick to it. I was going to buy a roll of tubing and the ends and make my own lines. Probably end up doing what you did. My instructions show to run seperate lines to the front end. Not sure why. Decided to put new springs under the front end. Having some made up that are a one inch drop. That gives me 4 inches all together. Now I need to figure out what shock I need to put on it. Not sure how to figure that out and get the right one.
Dave
Old 01-09-2007, 11:18 PM

Last photo:

If you are dropping a full 4 inches you should be able to pull the stock shock open and subtract 4 inches from that then collapse the shock completely and subtract 4 inches from that.I would think that would give you the proper travel.You should be able to ask any shop that does suspension work to find out for sure.
Old 01-09-2007, 11:35 PM

Last photo:

Dave you have to use a double flare on brake lines.I used one for the rear brake line.With steel line you need a quality double flaring tool to do it right.I borrowed one from a friend who runs a shop.Just takes a little practice

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.