55 to 59 chevy truck owners - Page 163 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2011, 09:28 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Rear-end width

evilbeef54, Wheel mounting surface is 60"-61" on a 64-69 6-lug Chevy PU rear-end. 1971 and 1972 had 5 on 5 bolt pattern. But they should be the same width. Does your truck have the stock straight axle or is it sub-framed ?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2011, 09:57 PM
Almost Done... hahaha

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonite
evilbeef54, Wheel mounting surface is 60"-61" on a 64-69 6-lug Chevy PU rear-end. 1971 and 1972 had 5 on 5 bolt pattern. But they should be the same width. Does your truck have the stock straight axle or is it sub-framed ?
stock front, i dont think im tooooo concerned about the bolt pattern as i was planning on maybe swapping wheels, and really i just need to get back on the road, for nowi may just do some of those summit racing wheels if i can get em in the right pattern, but do you think that this rear end will work, and what would you do, working on a tight budget, take the rear with a ladderbar set up and try to convert (not sure what is involved with this) or pick up just the rear end and will it work just welding on new spring perches? if this width is the same it should work just fine right?
Old 05-31-2011, 10:17 PM
Another transplanted Okie

Last journal entry: DMV Trip
Last photo:

EvilBeef, Those year trucks had a factory coil over setup that could be described as a ladder bar. The weak link is the driveshaft. They have a 2-piece driveshaft with a carrier bearing in the middle.
Unless it is truly a custom aftermarket ladder setup, I would not consider it. It would be far simpler to cut off all brackets and weld on some spring perches. Have it done in an afternoon.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:23 PM
Almost Done... hahaha

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadetreeTim
EvilBeef, Those year trucks had a factory coil over setup that could be described as a ladder bar. The weak link is the driveshaft. They have a 2-piece driveshaft with a carrier bearing in the middle.
Unless it is truly a custom aftermarket ladder setup, I would not consider it. It would be far simpler to cut off all brackets and weld on some spring perches. Have it done in an afternoon.

hey tim, thanks for the info, it does look like a aftermarket setup, here's the info

Quote:
have some parts for the 67-72 chevy trucks. what i have for sale is on the list:
chris alston lader bar rear suspension with coil overs---450.00 obo $700 w/rear end! rear end 12 bolt i think the gears are 3:90's has power tracks locker and all new brakes --- 325.00 (the locker alone cost $450.00!)
and a picture

what do you think, first off, i just want to confirm, this rear end by it self will go in just fine, with just needing spring perches welded on correct?

Question 2 assuming that this rear end will work, do you think i should do the ladder bar or just the rear?

i am not a welder, but am more than willing to learn, and/or have someone local come do the welding after i get everything lined up
Old 05-31-2011, 10:41 PM

Last photo:

Well those are definitely aftermarket ladder bars. I guess my question would be, what are you trying to achieve? A daily driver? Weld on the perches and sell the ladder bars. But there are no wrong answers, only opinions.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:54 PM
Almost Done... hahaha

Last photo:

mostly daily driver/quickish flip, thats why im saying im probably okay with just welding on new perches and ditching the ladderbar set up, but knowing me i usualy end up slapping on a bit of motor work, a 150 shot of n2o and playing with it for a while before i flip it...

but i digress, anyways, i have three options here:

1. pass on it

2. take it if it will work with just mounting perches

3. take it and do the ladder set up

I guess the thing i need info/hand holding on is confirming that the width on a 1967-1972 chevy truck rear end will bolt in on my truck without needing to be shortened or anything, as long as i have the option to put new perches on it and go, i will take it, and concider the ladder set up. But i do not want to get something that i have to have modified to even make it drive...
Old 05-31-2011, 11:01 PM

Last photo:

I should point out that just because it is purported to be FOR a 67-72 Chevy truck doesn't necessarily mean it is FROM a 67-72 Chevy truck.
The easiest solution is to have the seller measure from wheel mounting surface to wheel mounting surface. Then you will be positive it will fit.
Measure twice, cut once has never failed anyone.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:10 PM
Almost Done... hahaha

Last photo:

very true, supposedly it came from or was going into a 67 pickup...

so if it is truely from a 67 it should be the right length, and when i measure it from WMS to WMS it should be about 62" correct?

given the specs and what im going for if you were in my position would you do just ther rear or the total rear/ladder setup...

sorry to keep asking the questions but i am on a tight budget, want to learn, but need to get it right the first time, and i used to be a carpenter's assistant so believe me i know the whole measure twice cut once thing, i am just using you guys for my first (1.999999) measurments, lol...

thanks guys
Old 05-31-2011, 11:58 PM

Last photo:

To give you an idea, here's a couple of pics of my truck in '09 when I had a 62" WMS to WMS 10-bolt under it. The rims are 8" offset towards the outside. Tires tucked nicely with adequate clearance on the inside.
I suggest just welding on the perches and getting it rolling. You can always add the ladder bars if you build the monster motor. Meanwhile, spend the money and effort elsewhere.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	49 011610.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	55718   Click image for larger version

Name:	92 022810.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	55719  
Old 06-01-2011, 11:52 AM

Last photo:

Rear-end Dilemma

If you want the easiest and cheapest way and want to get it rolling, find a stock rear-end someone swapped out. You should be able to find one of those fairly easy. I ran the crap out of mine for 20 years and they have 3:90 gears to boot. Then you will have time to do the right thing later.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:36 PM
Almost Done... hahaha

Last photo:

thanks guys, i will probably get that one, just waiting to hear back from one other person so see if they will sell me the rear thats under their 55, i have been looking around a lot and it seems like this one will probably be the best fit. Hopefully i'll have her back on the road quickly.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:43 PM

Last photo:

I think I would pass on that setup, It sounds a little pricey to me. If you are thinking of running the ladder bars with your stock leaf springs its not a good idea because of binding in the way a rearend moves up and down with leaf springs and shackles. And the ladder bars are going to want to move the rearend up and down in an arch like this ) . And I would guess the ladder bars have metal Heim joints in them also , they will make for a very harsh ride.
I like Chevelle rearends , 64 to 67's are 60 inches wide and 68 to 72's are 61 inches wide overall plus a 5 on 4 3/4 Chevrolet lug pattern. Also check 67 to 69 Camaro or 68 to 72 Nova , they are 60 and 61 inches wide. All can be found in 10 or 12 bolt , 12 bolts harder to find and cost more.
Evilbeef are you in Nor Cal ?
Gene
Old 06-01-2011, 01:09 PM

Last photo:

Rear-end Dilemma

I'm with 57halfton on this one. I have a '70 Camaro 10-bolt under mine. I picked it up for $75.00. It is the perfect width. I'm running 8" slotted mags with 275-60x15 BFGs. It had 3:42 gears originally but I put 3:73 gears in later. All I did was weld on the spring perches. Later on you will probably want to sub-frame it and wont have the 6-hole issue. Either that or run a stock rear-end for now until you figured it all out. But that is only my opinion. Good Luck!
Old 06-01-2011, 01:39 PM
Almost Done... hahaha

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57halfton
I think I would pass on that setup, It sounds a little pricey to me. If you are thinking of running the ladder bars with your stock leaf springs its not a good idea because of binding in the way a rearend moves up and down with leaf springs and shackles. And the ladder bars are going to want to move the rearend up and down in an arch like this ) . And I would guess the ladder bars have metal Heim joints in them also , they will make for a very harsh ride.
I like Chevelle rearends , 64 to 67's are 60 inches wide and 68 to 72's are 61 inches wide overall plus a 5 on 4 3/4 Chevrolet lug pattern. Also check 67 to 69 Camaro or 68 to 72 Nova , they are 60 and 61 inches wide. All can be found in 10 or 12 bolt , 12 bolts harder to find and cost more.
Evilbeef are you in Nor Cal ?
Gene
yup i am in norcal, i have been searching CL for a while looking for one that will work, this is the only one i can find right now that looks like it will work, and if it is 6 lug that means i dont have to buy new wheels just yet. I was probably gonna pass on the ladder bars and just get the rear. Still waiting to hear back from another guy before i make a decision, I would prefer something with slightly smaller gears, maybe i can get to a pick and pull and find a 2nd gen camaro rear, but then im gonna be spending extra cash on wheels as well and i really dont even know where a pick and pull is around here since i pretty much just moved back.
Old 06-01-2011, 03:04 PM
Almost Done... hahaha

Last photo:

well i google maped a couple of salvage yards near me, and the ones i called said they wanted "a couple hundred dollars" for a second gen 10 bolt non posi rear, i think i may just go with either the one i posted before, or the one the other guy has if i can get him to sell it to me

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.