55 to 59 chevy truck owners - Page 169 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2011, 04:48 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I know this is going to seem silly to you but what you have is the V-8 from the factory. The Part your looking for is called the Upper Baffle Extension.

There is also a Lower filler panel extension and a lower baffle brace. I don't think they reproduce any of them.

Most trucks were 6 cylinders and the radiator mounted to the cross member. On the V-8's they used the extension panels to move the radiator closer to the engine.

Unless your building a numbers matching correct restoration you don't have to set the rad back and you can use a crossflow rad and electric fan or a fan shroud and a clutch fan.

On my build I'm using a 5.3 L V-8 and a 2000 Camaro Rad and fan assembly. (see pic's I'm using as a guide for my build)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0795.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	185.7 KB
ID:	57359   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0796.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	176.3 KB
ID:	57360   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0797.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	213.4 KB
ID:	57361   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0798.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	147.7 KB
ID:	57362  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2011, 06:21 AM

Last photo:

Thanks G&R, it just looks like it's missing something (it is) with that gap there. Maybe I'll just make something since it's so impossible to find. Funny, you can practically build one of these trucks from a catalog 'cept for one little panel!
Old 08-10-2011, 02:54 PM

Hello everyone,

I have a 57 chevy 1/2 ton, in way worse condition than most of the great trucks I've seen here, and joined this board with a fistful of questions, but after reading this thread (which is awesome by the way) most of my questions have been answered. I'm sure as I get more involved with the rebuild I will have more questions.

I am looking forward to getting to know you guys.

I will eventually get some pictures for those of you about to ask!

Keith
Old 08-10-2011, 09:30 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinger57
Hello everyone,

I have a 57 chevy 1/2 ton, in way worse condition than most of the great trucks I've seen here, and joined this board with a fistful of questions, but after reading this thread (which is awesome by the way) most of my questions have been answered. I'm sure as I get more involved with the rebuild I will have more questions.

I am looking forward to getting to know you guys.

I will eventually get some pictures for those of you about to ask!

Keith
Welcome aboard!
Old 08-17-2011, 07:09 PM

Last journal entry: brakes
Last photo:

350 small block opportunity with transmission

Been awhile that I've posted but the truck has been coming along as budget allows. I wanted to get your guys take on this potential buy, looks like a good deal but need some additional opinions. Some things to keep in mind, guy has no way of showing me it runs as it's in storage. I'm not sure if the heads are "unleaded ready".

Thanks for the help!

http://baltimore.craigslist.org/pts/2529322128.html
Old 08-17-2011, 09:41 PM

Last journal entry: Rear Axle swap #2 (74 Camaro) part 6
Last photo:

Risky but not a bad price. Is it really supercharged or is that just an aircleaner?
Old 08-18-2011, 04:11 PM
Another transplanted Okie

Last journal entry: DMV Trip
Last photo:

That's just an air cleaner. Unless I knew the guy was reputable, or I could hear it run, I wouldn't buy it.
Old 08-19-2011, 08:15 PM
Almost Done... hahaha

Last photo:

hey guys alright a couple of short deployments later, im back and might actually have a couple of months to get some work done on my truck...

the old rear end is still in waiting to come out, i have the 12 bolt rear waiting on me to grind off all the mounts and line it up and get it in and have someone weld on the new spring perches, i think i have someone that can come do that, here's where im stuck...

since the rear is already going to be out and needs new mounts welded on i was concidering trying to lower the truck from the stock suspension height now. I have seen where you can mount the rear end on top of the rear leaf springs like this:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=442586

if this is a good safe way to do it it looks like this would be the perfect time to do it since i will have to be doing new mounts on the rear anyway, but what about the front. I do not have the money, time, or experience to really do the front clip route yet, so that leaves me with either a dropped axle of dropped springs, is that correct? would something like this work:

http://www.performanceonline.com/194...ING-SET-16536/

would that be all that i needed to lower my truck the flip kit and lowered front springs? Is that correct so at this point i could lower it a bit for about $500, or should i be looking at something like this for the rear instead:

http://www.performanceonline.com/195...ION-KIT-18682/

and the same leaves for the front

or this full kit for the truck:

http://www.performanceonline.com/195...-Shocks-19057/

either of the last options would pretty much tap out my budget for right now, it will work to do the first option of the flip kit for the rear and the lowering springs for the front that would be the best money wise, if that is not going to be safe or there is going to be a lot of hidden costs involved in that and either of the last choices will work that is just doable, if there is still going to be a lot of hidden costs invoved i will just weld on the new mounts on the rear and mount it up stock and save the money for now. I would like to lower it a bit but dont want to make it unsafe to drive, and i really want to get this one back on the road.

If there is other options that will work in or around my price ranges please let me know, that is just what i have found with some searching, im not locked in to anything yet so i would love to hear other options too, thanks
Old 08-20-2011, 11:53 AM

55-59 chevy trucks

hey ya'll ive got a 54 chevy p/u it has a complete 58 1/2 ton running gear 235,3spd and rear my problem is i need a 3rd member for it or a complete rear end (stock 55-59) trucks been down for a week and a half and its my daily driver... help! 352-362-4124
Old 08-22-2011, 10:06 PM
the 'Duracell Project'

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flathead49
hey ya'll ive got a 54 chevy p/u it has a complete 58 1/2 ton running gear 235,3spd and rear my problem is i need a 3rd member for it or a complete rear end (stock 55-59) trucks been down for a week and a half and its my daily driver... help! 352-362-4124
buy the rearend from the post above.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:15 PM
the 'Duracell Project'

Last photo:

evilbeef
i bought my nflip kit from a trailer supply co. it consisted of 2 spring pads and 4 u-bolts for a total cost of $28. i reused the stock shock mounts.

i have pics of my axle flip posted many times in this thread. you will get approx 7'' drop with this flip. you will need to c-notch the frame.

the drop front axle you have linked will give you a 3'' drop. and will cost you $500. add $500 more for a mustII kit and you will have a 7'' drop up front too.
sell your rear end to the guy in the post above to buy a welder
Old 08-23-2011, 07:16 AM
Almost Done... hahaha

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre
evilbeef
i bought my nflip kit from a trailer supply co. it consisted of 2 spring pads and 4 u-bolts for a total cost of $28. i reused the stock shock mounts.

i have pics of my axle flip posted many times in this thread. you will get approx 7'' drop with this flip. you will need to c-notch the frame.

the drop front axle you have linked will give you a 3'' drop. and will cost you $500. add $500 more for a mustII kit and you will have a 7'' drop up front too.
sell your rear end to the guy in the post above to buy a welder
a mustang ii kit is really that cheap?

nds I will have a stock rear end housing that I will be you looking to get rid, the internals,.at least center section the deathly need to be rebuilt though
Old 08-23-2011, 01:21 PM
the 'Duracell Project'

Last photo:

no i guess not. i looked at fatmanfab.com, best price is $1900. what they don't tell you is the steering column, mc and brake lines need to be upgraded too.

you need to decide a plan for your truck that fits your budget. maybe the best for you is rebuild the front stock suspension and install a new axle in the rear without flipping it.

this will leave you with 2 different lug patterns though.
Old 08-23-2011, 04:11 PM

Last photo:

@ evilbeef54, You might look into installing a Volare front clip. You can buy a 1980 car for $150.00 or so. (that's what mine cost) All you do is unbolt the K-member and notch your frame and weld the K-member in place. Box the frame rails. It's the perfect width. You can adjust the ride height with the torsion bars. The photo is blurry but you can see the torsion bars in front of the engine. I'm really happy with the stance and ride.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	'58 Chevy Pickup - Volare clip - 327 001.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	57765  
Old 08-28-2011, 04:22 PM

Last photo:

Anyone have a good stock in cab gas tank for a 55 to 59 Chevy pickup kick'in around their not using ?
Thanks Gene

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.