55 to 59 chevy truck owners - Page 171 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2011, 01:13 PM
one full turn after it squeeks

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I'm not worried about that, I just want to get the paint off without destroying the plate. I may be SOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2011, 02:45 PM
the 'Duracell Project'

Last photo:

wretched
mine came off while sanding my cab. i had some paint thinner in a jar. i threw the vin in it overnight and everything came off.

my 58 vin tag was spot welded on. my truck must have been a setup for the welder. there are 5 attempts to get it welded on. a couple holes are burnt into it. one weld held it on for yrs. it's pop riveted on now.
Old 09-13-2011, 03:11 PM
one full turn after it squeeks

Last photo:

Thanks, I think a good soaking in thinner or stripper is what I'll try first.
Old 09-13-2011, 08:24 PM
Almost Done... hahaha

Last photo:

hey guys, almost ready to bolt up and weld up the new 12 bolt under my truck, got it fairly in position just had a few questions before i start tacking on the new perches, im still using the stock leaf springs in stock position:

1. What measurments do you guys recommend doing to ensure that it is centered up and in the right position before welding on the perches

2. What pinion angle are you guys using, I have a pinion angle finder, its just been a few years since i did it, lol

3. what the heck is this line/hose for of the top front right side of the 12 bolt, it was not there on the stock rear end. Is it just a vent line, where do you guys run it?

Im sure i might have another last minute question before i tack it in, just wanna make sure it gets on correctly before i start welding it up

Last edited by evilbeef54; 09-13-2011 at 08:48 PM.
Old 09-13-2011, 08:34 PM
Almost Done... hahaha

Last photo:

anyone want my old stock rear end, it does need to be rebuild, figured i'd offer it up here before i threw it up on CL
Old 09-14-2011, 09:14 AM
the 'Duracell Project'

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wretched ratchet
Thanks, I think a good soaking in thinner or stripper is what I'll try first.
the plate is aluminum, i wouldn't use a caustic stripper. just thinner.
if you use stripper just dip and wash, don't soak too long.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:08 AM
the 'Duracell Project'

Last photo:

evilbeef
i clamped the housing to the springs and just measured to the frame to center the rearend, just tack it and then pull the housing out to weld it.
if you have a used rearend, now is the time to put new seals and wheel bearings in it.
when welding on a rearend make sure you have a good ground on the spring pad it's self.

as for pinion angle: i set mine at the same angle up as the motor is down. this way both drive shaft yolks are at the same angle. the pinion angle will be 2 or 3 degrees up. you can read a lot of posts on hotrodders.com about pinion angle, but unless your jacked up high or running extreme hp, this works fine.

that hose is your housing vent. if you can screw your old vent in there it will do the job better. clean up the old vent and make sure air blows through it.

glad to see you working on your truck. good to see someone spending money to keep the economy going. what gear ratio did you end up buying?
Old 09-15-2011, 09:04 PM
Almost Done... hahaha

Last photo:

**edit** taking this over to the rear end section

Last edited by evilbeef54; 09-15-2011 at 09:31 PM.
Old 09-16-2011, 11:36 AM
the 'Duracell Project'

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilbeef54
**edit** taking this over to the rear end section
oh, suddenly we're not good enough for you???
Old 09-17-2011, 10:57 AM

Last photo:

Hey Guys just thought I would let you know what happened to me.I sold my house and all my toys. All I have left is 2 trucks.No they are not for sale They are safely stored on my brother in-laws property.The bank excepted my offer on a 4br house with 3 car garage in Henderson.Should close on October 25.This house has enough room for a 24 x 36 shop in the back.I will start on the new shop right after I move in.I already checked on the code as far as how far from the fence and house.The neighborhood already has several metal carports but I don't know about metal buildings. Stick built is more expensive and will take more time than a metal building. My son Travis is 15 so it is time to start his truck project.I am giving him the 58 and we are putting the Vortec V6 from the Astro van in it. He is still in shock. He asked for the parts truck to build. So I decided it would be a good father son project. I am keeping th 427 and the 4L80E transmission for the other 58 truck.
Old 09-17-2011, 05:50 PM
Almost Done... hahaha

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre
oh, suddenly we're not good enough for you???
yes, that is it, lol j/k no i just needed some quick advice on getting it in, i was on a roll and saw there was quite a few people posting at that time in that section, plus figured someone else might have the same questions as me sooooo i took it over there, lol

ANNNNNNNYYYWAYZ, i got it all put in, welded up, bolted up, just finished putting everything back on, all that i have left to do is re-fill/bleed the brake lines which i will do as soon as i get someone to help out
Old 09-17-2011, 06:01 PM

Last photo:

Bleeding rear brakes

evilbeef54, You can gravity bleed the rear brakes if you just drop your floor jack with your rear wheels off. Fill your master cylinder up and open both rear bleeders up and let it run through. But keep an eye on your fluid level. At least you can drive it until you can bleed it really good.
Old 09-17-2011, 07:41 PM
Almost Done... hahaha

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonite
evilbeef54, You can gravity bleed the rear brakes if you just drop your floor jack with your rear wheels off. Fill your master cylinder up and open both rear bleeders up and let it run through. But keep an eye on your fluid level. At least you can drive it until you can bleed it really good.

Awesome, thanks, ill check that out, btw, does anyone have any tips for hooking up the parking brakes inside the rear drums with out taking completely taking apart the brakes?
Old 09-18-2011, 11:21 AM
the 'Duracell Project'

Last photo:

dd, good to you posting. come oct 26 i want to see progress pics of the new shop
best father/son project/experience was when my son was 15 and wanted to build a 68 elcamino.
we finished it about mid way thru his junior yr and he's driven it for the past 10 yrs.

my preference would be a stick built shop, easier to insulate, wire and plumb. i'm spoiled, i also like heat in the winter...
Old 09-18-2011, 08:33 PM

Anyone know if you can purchase the bolt on rear spring hanger/shackle kit without the springs? I see kits with the springs are going for $550 but I dont need new rear springs. Any ideas?

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.