55 to 59 chevy truck owners - Page 176 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2011, 07:24 AM
one full turn after it squeeks

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks Gentlemen, the one by the intake may not be in the way enuff to keep it from installing and working correctly but they sure are ugly - IMHO

There's something about an uncluttered engine bay that turns me on. LOL

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2011, 03:07 PM

Last photo:

Hey guys found a guy on www.KSL.com who is selling a 58 and a 59 parts truck cheep one has a short box step side on it no title for one and title for frame on other.Go to classifieds then non running vehicles.type 58 chevy into search box and give Dave a call.Gene you should look at these I already have a parts truck want another 58 with a title so these trucks wont work for me.
Old 11-29-2011, 11:40 PM
the 'Duracell Project'

Last photo:

dang you guys out west have it made.

i did a seach for chevy and found a 59 panel, 53 cab, 56 napco, 50 truck, 41 truck, 36 truck, 59 truck, 53 gmc and a 30 willy's.

all on page 1

do a search here in the rustbelt and you'll find 58 rust, 59 rust, 56 rust, ect...
cab rust, bed rust, door rust, frame rust, glass rust, tire rust
if your lucky you'll find 30 rust...

hows the new digs DD?

Last edited by ogre; 11-29-2011 at 11:45 PM.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:56 AM

Last photo:

enjoying the new place allot Ogre.No snow in the driveway and going to be 69 today here in Henderson I have all my stuff on site,now for the task of unpacking.Lots of little projects around the house too.Hard to pull myself away from the pool table so I can get things done but what the heck I am retired what is the rush
Old 12-12-2011, 01:05 PM

Hry Fellas,
So I bought a frame off of a 55 chevy truck that has a 1970 chevelle front sub frame welded in and a 1970 camaro rearend installed and ready to go. So I ordered a new cab to frame mount kit but not sure which bushings go where bc the original bushings were pretty much non existent. The kit came with 2 round bushings, 2 square bushings, 2 small metal sleeves that slide inside the square bushings, 2 large and 2 small metal washers and 2 rubber and 2 metal shims and 2 large and 2 small bolts. My question is do the square bushings going in the front or back of the cab, etc? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 12-12-2011, 03:03 PM
the 'Duracell Project'

Last photo:

my factory assembly manual is out in the barn, but it shows all the diagrams for how everything on these trucks goes together. even though my truk is all custom, i bought one and used it for assembling the body. a worthy $29 investment. lmctruck and brothers sells them.
Old 12-12-2011, 04:22 PM

Last photo:

not that this is the correct way, because my truck was worked on before i got it, but the rubber bushings go at the rear of the cab, square on top of the frame, metal tube between the two, and the other bushing goes below the frame bracket. when it tightens down they are tight but are not allowed to totally squash out the rubber bushings-that is the reason for the steel tube. not too sure about the washer placement because i don't remember that part, and my rubber bushings were pretty bad. then there was body washers between the frame and the front cab mount, to make alignment from the front fenders and doors. there are also rubber mounts under the rad support. maybe ogre can find his assembly manual, there is a spec for distance from the frame to the underside of the cab at the front mount. 1 7/8 " i think, but not sure.
dsraven
Old 12-12-2011, 04:47 PM

Last photo:

if you go to the old car manuals project site, scroll down to gmc truck manuals and info,down again to 55-59 trucks maintenance manual and click on that. it will open up a new window for you and you will find the info on page 137. there is a figure there that shows how they go together, but basically, from the underside rear mount, there is the bolt head, then a lock washer, then a flat washer, then the rubber bushing and the steel dowel goes in the middle of that. this is all there is below the frame mount. then above the frame mount there is the other rubber part (it doesn't say round or square or whatever, but they are definately square on my 57 gmc 1/2 ton cab) and then the under part of the cab. that site also explains how the front cab mounts as well, but it is basically the same as what i said in the last posting. it is metal on metal with alignment shims or what they call anti squeak shims in between tjhe frame mont and the underside of the cab. it also talks about how to align all the fenders and hood etc in the previous pages. might be worth a look.
dsraven
Old 12-12-2011, 08:20 PM

Thanks for the feedback fellas!
Old 12-13-2011, 10:12 AM
56' Chevy Streetrod

Last photo:

Master cylinder and booster

Hey guys, im wanting to install power brakes on my firewall. I know there are kits out there to get this done, but I was wondering if I could just pull one out of the junk yard and if so, make and model vehicle do you recommend? I did the ifs with disk on front , still drum in the back. Please help!! Thanks.
Old 12-13-2011, 12:38 PM

Last photo:

master cylinder

Mustang II units work nicely. You must have a reason that you want to keep it on the firewall. I payed 30 dollars at a wrecking yard for mine and never had to rebuild it. Mine is on the frame below the floor-pan. It makes for a clean firewall.
Old 12-13-2011, 03:17 PM

Last photo:

On a 57 that I had before the one I have now I used a 72 Chevelle power brake unit mounted on the firewall. It was mounted high on the firewall and I lengthened the pedal about 4 inches so it was in the right place to put your foot on. It worked great with the Chevelle type disc / drum style brakes.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:39 AM
the 'Duracell Project'

Last photo:

my personal choice is to keep everything under the floor boards. if you want a nice clean firewall

i have a hydroboost mounted in the stock mc location.

Old 12-14-2011, 12:21 PM

Last photo:

Firewalls

I'm with you Ogre, I'm a fan of bare firewalls and engine compartments
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	004.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	915.5 KB
ID:	60787  
Old 12-15-2011, 10:35 AM
the 'Duracell Project'

Last photo:

nice firewall oregonite, i like the factory dimples too. the smooth/flat firewall looks too flat.

where did you put your battery? mine is behind the pass seat.

before paint

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.