55 to 59 chevy truck owners - Page 180 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2012, 11:23 AM
the 'Duracell Project'

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

mine is a daily driver with the exception of when there's salt on the road, actually had it out last week.
took it 3200 miles on the power tour, it gets 20.1 mpg cruising at freeway speeds.
i put a new speedo in it last may, it currently has a little over 5500 miles on the odometer.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2012, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre
mine is a daily driver with the exception of when there's salt on the road, actually had it out last week.
took it 3200 miles on the power tour, it gets 20.1 mpg cruising at freeway speeds.
i put a new speedo in it last may, it currently has a little over 5500 miles on the odometer.
What engine/trans/rear ratio are you running. I'd drive mine again if I could get the mileage you do.
Old 02-15-2012, 02:41 PM

Last photo:

That's what I was wanting to hear. my existing rear end is a DANA 44 327 gear and trans is turbo 400 out of an 80's Cadillac. What rear suspension package would you use with existing frame to convert from drum to disk? thanks sorry to have so many questions but this is my first rodeo. Dave
Old 02-16-2012, 12:29 PM
the 'Duracell Project'

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57plaid
What engine/trans/rear ratio are you running. I'd drive mine again if I could get the mileage you do.
pretty much answered all of this 2 posts above yours with years and price paid.
both of you need to read the 2500+ posts in this thread, lots of good info here.
my milage is a combo of my gearing and tranny choice, but the efi motor will get the best mileage over a carb.
i don't think you will get close with out an overdrive trans.

ogre's 58 truk build... ogre's interior build

banjodr, no idea how to get discs on your dana, i used a rear that came with discs.
the 82-92 gen 3 camaro/trans am has a good width for our trucks.
the trans am and some of the camero's came with discs.
my rearend is flipped and c-notched on stock springs
Old 02-16-2012, 01:04 PM

Sorry, I missed the aforementioned data, which will be of little benefit to me anyway. I use mine as a truck, so I need load capacity also. I'm running a 4bbl 327/TH400/3.08 rear with 235/75/15s. The best I can do is 14mpg. No budget for an EFI crate motor, that's why I asked. I am contemplating a 2002 or newer chassis swap with the 5.3. That should help some.
Thanks.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:36 PM

Last photo:

14 mpg is not bad for what you have. also these trucks aren't very aerodynamic. I don't know what my truck gets the odometer dosen't work , it's not good. I put a new engine in a couple of weeks ago and hoping when its broken in and loosens up a bit it will get better. I also put the bed floor back in after Christmas (aluminum diamond plate) no more PITA wood .
Gene
Old 02-16-2012, 06:40 PM

Last photo:

Oh , 57Plaid later model chassis won't work they are to wide for a 2 wheel drive 55 to 59 pickup .
Old 02-16-2012, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57halfton
Oh , 57Plaid later model chassis won't work they are to wide for a 2 wheel drive 55 to 59 pickup .
Are you sure? Do you know the track width of the 99' and up trucks? I can't find the info so far.

I know I read about one on a 88-98 chassis in one of the Classic truck mags several years ago. I believe the truck was silver and 4x4. I liked this one because it sat lower than the 73-87 style.

I drove my 57 daily 60 miles round trip to work for 12 years, but quit doing so when fuel prices went up and the truck wore out. That was 2002. It's patiently awaiting revival, which it will recieve. Maybe with a EFI 5.3/overdrive combo it will work out.

By the way, 14mpg was at 55-60mph. That was the limit then. It does make a difference.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:01 PM

Last photo:

Take a tape measure with you next time you go past used car lots and measure the track width of newer trucks. I'm sure 2 wheel drives are to wide. The wide width on a 4 wheel drive chassis dosen't matter cause they are usually jacked up. You could do like DoubleDick did and rebuild the stock suspension ,Tighten it up, and add P/S.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:21 PM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last journal entry: car with tt2's, (stockers going back on)
Last photo:

my truck looks wide because i have a crappy offset on my aluminum wheels. the stock wheels i had stayed inside the fender wells.

i am on a 1979 frame. the big issue you will have with that frame and makes it unusable, i think, for a two wheel drive vehicle is that big hump in the frame in the front of it. that would be the big reason not to use it right there, not the track width. you really need as flat as possible of a frame, as close to stock as you can get. look at the frame of a 73-81 truck and you will see what i am talking about. i have not looked at an s-10 frame, but they must be popular for a reason, and i think it is probably that there is not big giant hump in the front of the frame, not just width either.
Old 02-19-2012, 08:10 AM

Yes, I know I don't want a 73-87 frame. I've done a 4x4. They sit too high for what I want. I checked the track width on a 88-98 and it's around 2 5/8" wider on both ends. This could be usuable with the right wheels. I just have to check how flat the rails are.

The 73-87 requires a very tall front cab mount, as the frame dips down considerably underneath the stock cab.

Also, the S10 won't make much of a "truck" for hauling. I drive a 4x4 93" Sonoma now. Most everything has to be hauled on trailers.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:33 PM
the 'Duracell Project'

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57plaid
Sorry, I missed the aforementioned data, which will be of little benefit to me anyway. I use mine as a truck, so I need load capacity also. I'm running a 4bbl 327/TH400/3.08 rear with 235/75/15s. The best I can do is 14mpg. No budget for an EFI crate motor, that's why I asked. I am contemplating a 2002 or newer chassis swap with the 5.3. That should help some.
Thanks.
mine is no longer used to haul any more than luggage
i'd like to have your 3.08 rear gear
and like 57halfton says; these trucks are as aerodynamic as a brick

no budget for a $4500 efi crate motor?
try a 2002 or newer frame swap.
if you get it running, you will have more than $4500 in it.
maybe, $4500 if you get the 2002 for less than $1000
frame swaps are not easy, cheap or fast.

and i've said this more than once...
if you need to ask about a frame swap, you probably can't do it.
Old 02-20-2012, 07:27 AM

Ogre, I've seen pictures of your truck. VERY NICE!! You have done a excellent job of creating the truck that you wanted. It's just not what I'm after. Here in Kansas, the winter is way too harsh for a truck the caliber of yours. Remember, I want a daily driver. Also, I live on a gravel road out in the country. If you gave me your truck, I wouldn't have the heart to drive it to my house, it's just too nice and you've put too much hard work into it.

As far as frame swaps go, I've done a couple already, so it's not a problem. I only asked about track width because the members here are very knowledgable and the info is not readily available online, that I've been able to find. There are no later model GM trucks with the correct wheelbase, so I know I'll have to take care of that. There are donor trucks available from the salvage yards with a lot of life left in them that can be had for $4500, and then you have the bulk of everything you need. EFI, overdrive, good ride quality, upgraded brakes, and interior if you so chose. Of course, this won't compare to the quality of yours, but I don't need that either.

Oh, and my 3:08 rear is out of a 70's 1/2 ton pickup. It has 6 lug wheels.
Old 03-08-2012, 07:06 PM
Almost Done... hahaha

Last photo:

hey guys, hit a small snag, i am putting on newer front fenders so while i had all the sheet metal off i figured now would be a good time to lower the truck, however it has fenderwell headers and as it sits now when the wheel is cranked over there is about 4 inches between the headers and the front tires, so i think if i drop the front 3" i will be hitting, so i guess i need to try to sell these headers and fenderwells and pick up some others, my question is when shopping around for a cheap set of SBC 350 headers is there a specific year/model or brand of headers that will fit a 55 truck with a 350 motor and a 4 speed manual, also looking for something with a 3 bolt mount at the collector, i dont care about brand just looking for something cheap, any suggestions, i'd get a $100 cheapo ebay set if i knew they would clear everything

Last edited by evilbeef54; 03-08-2012 at 07:21 PM.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:23 AM

Since it doesn't appear that you have the rest of the exhaust system, why not use the block hugger style of headers?

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.