55 to 59 chevy truck owners - Page 181 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2012, 09:35 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

The headers on my pickup are Headman headers shorty style for a small block 64 to 67 Chevelle , but I run an automatic transmission.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2012, 02:01 PM

Last photo:

@ evilbeef54, A company called Eagle Black made full length headers for these trucks with stock suspension. They were under $100.00 and were available at most part stores back in the early '80's. I still have them hanging on my wall.
Old 03-09-2012, 02:52 PM
Almost Done... hahaha

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57plaid
Since it doesn't appear that you have the rest of the exhaust system, why not use the block hugger style of headers?
i do have the rest of the exhaust, it is just disconected in that picture, but i think i am going to end up having to go with a block hugger shorty and have a shop by me fab up the rest of the exhaust, just sucks, by the time i get the new fender wells, headers, and exhaust that will end up being another $400+ more than i was planning on spending, but i guess in the end it isn't that bad, maybe i will find something at the good guys car show in two weeks, i just hate waiting, wanted to start working on everything now, lol
Old 03-09-2012, 03:39 PM

Last photo:

Headers

The hot setup would be a set of 2 1/2" Cast iron ram horns. The circle burners eat them up though. . "Speedway" has them for $114.00 a pair + shipping.
Old 03-09-2012, 04:18 PM

Last photo:

How were you planning to lower the front of your truck ? The headers I have on my truck may not fit yours because I see you still have your stock steering and I assume your rear motor mounts are still bellhousing mounts with clutch linkage. I would go ahead and lower it like you planned and see if the tires hit the headers or how much they rub, maybe it will work without changing headers. I remember in the old days it was not uncommon for tires to rub the headers on a full lock turn. Try it and see what happens !
Old 03-09-2012, 07:29 PM
Almost Done... hahaha

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57halfton
How were you planning to lower the front of your truck ? The headers I have on my truck may not fit yours because I see you still have your stock steering and I assume your rear motor mounts are still bellhousing mounts with clutch linkage. I would go ahead and lower it like you planned and see if the tires hit the headers or how much they rub, maybe it will work without changing headers. I remember in the old days it was not uncommon for tires to rub the headers on a full lock turn. Try it and see what happens !
i was going to do a drop mono leaf up front and drop shackles in the rear, really not trying to spend a fortune. im fairly sure that there will be a lot of contact/rubbing if droped, i will take another look, o'rileys said they should have some headers in tomorrow that might work for me, hopefully they will then i wont have to worry about it.

now as far as relocating the battery goes, i think im also gonna mount that to the frame under the passenger side of the cab, $100 for a drop down box seems a lil pricey (and brothers was out of stock when i checked today), i was thinking of either mounting up the stock box (trimmed up a bit) i think you can still get to it to remove the battery if needed, i saw that ogre said he ran a + terminal for jumping, how/where did you do that, i was also thinking possibly doing something like this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/140559315922...ht_2443wt_1037

in the floor what do you guys think?

also anyone know if anyone makes a patch pannel to shave the stock fuel fill neck, i ordered a new in bed fuel tank today. and hope to get that all taken care of next week
Old 03-09-2012, 08:37 PM
Almost Done... hahaha

Last photo:

also for those of you who mounted the battery under the truck did you water proof it at all incase you drive though a puddle or rain or something?
Old 03-09-2012, 08:46 PM

Last photo:

The only drawback is if you ever have carpet installed. You'll have to be able to get to the door. The battery box I have is stainless steel and drops down to get access to the battery. I don't drive my truck rain and certainly wouldn't drive through puddles. They also make main leaf springs with reversed eyes for the front and rear. I went that route before I changed over to a Volare front end. That way you can still keep half your leaves in and still drop it 3" in the front and 6" in the rear and still have a nice ride. The jumper wire I used was a short chunk of battery cable connected to the battery post on the starter.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:29 PM
Almost Done... hahaha

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonite
The only drawback is if you ever have carpet installed. You'll have to be able to get to the door. The battery box I have is stainless steel and drops down to get access to the battery. I don't drive my truck rain and certainly wouldn't drive through puddles. They also make main leaf springs with reversed eyes for the front and rear. I went that route before I changed over to a Volare front end. That way you can still keep half your leaves in and still drop it 3" in the front and 6" in the rear and still have a nice ride. The jumper wire I used was a short chunk of battery cable connected to the battery post on the starter.
where did you route the other end of the jumper wire from the starter to where?

on the front suspension are you talking about the dropped mono leaves that give a 3" drop, that's what i was thinking, brothers has them on sale right now for $379 or i was gonna check the good guys car show in a few weeks
Old 03-09-2012, 10:40 PM

Last photo:

I just tucked the end of the jumper wire inside my frame rail after insulating the end with a short piece of hose. Now for the springs. The main leave is the longest one with the eyes. The eyes are rolled the opposite way which make them reversed eye main leaves. They work really nice if you are going to keep your stock straight axle. they also make tapered wheel bearings which work better than the old ball bearings.
Old 03-10-2012, 10:16 AM

Last photo:

I have a side terminal maintenance free battery under the passengers side of the cab behind the step inside the door. I made a battery box out of angle iron and bolted it to the side of the frame. I drive my truck rain or shine with the battery exposed to rain and puddles and haven't had any problems in 8 years. Also dropped shackles (longer shackles) in the rear won't do much , I tried them on my truck , only dropped about an inch. Can't make shackles too long cause they will hit the underside of the bed floor.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:52 PM
Almost Done... hahaha

Last photo:

OMG sooooo many different projects at once, and they are all lined up like dominos, lol, i was workin on making a battery box for the frame with some angle iron when i ran out of mig wire. I just gutted the inside of the cab, still have to strip it all down to bare metal inside and do a couple tiny lil patch panels in the floor, just picked up some leather 6 way power seats i have to make some mounts for, and figure out how to dye black, the new in frame gas tank should be here this week, need to fill all the holes in the fire wall, clean up/grind off the grit from the frame/firewall/and motor, finish getting the drivers front fender and bumpers down to bare metal.... this is going to be a busy week, lol

then after all that i can start thinking about exhaust/lowering/paint, then puttin the interior together, im hoping i can knock all this out in the next 2-3 weeks, being out of town this weekend for a paintball tournament isn't going to help though, i see a lot of long nights ahead, stupid work getting in the way of projects
Old 03-13-2012, 02:16 PM
the 'Duracell Project'

Last photo:

^^^ someone got their taxes back
Old 03-13-2012, 09:27 PM
www.E-tekRestorations.com

Last photo:

E-tek's 56 Chevy 3100 Build

Didn't notice this forum here until now! Recently completed a full frame-off of a 56 Chev Step longbox(3100). Original owner still. His son's spear-headed the restoration, with me doing most of the work. First show is in April.

Entire build here: E-tek's resto of 56 Chevy 3100 at GJ.com

Cheers!
Old 03-13-2012, 09:32 PM
Almost Done... hahaha

Last photo:

lol, yeah taxes and some money saved up from the last deployment, and a great day at the salvage yards, the leather seats and center console came out of a 2000ish jeep grand cherokee and are in great condition, just the wrong color....

I finished fabing up the battery box, but ran into a snag, it is pretty damn heavy and the spot i was planning on having it go has a body brace in the way, looks like i have to find a new spot or maybe drop the $$$ for one of those drop down boxes

i also finished up stripping down the floor and inside firewall of the cab, it was a busy dirty night, lol, i think tomorrow i will patch up the few small spots in the floor, and my new tank may be in

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.