55 to 59 chevy truck owners - Page 183 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2012, 11:33 AM
Almost Done... hahaha

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57halfton
Evil
One of the first things I did to lower the rear of my pickup was to use the longer shackle kit from NoLimit. It didn't do much, less than an inch. The shackles can't be much longer than stock because the top of the shackle will hit the bottom side of the bed floor. Save your money don't invest in a dropped shackle kit. I did put mono leaf springs in the rear that lowered my pickup about 5 inches in back. With mono leaf springs you will have to buy a pair of really good shocks like QA-1 adjustable shocks. I think the best bang for the buck would be to flip the rear axle to above the springs but you will have to C notch the frame like Ogre did. Regardless of how you lower the rear you will have to C notch it.

okay thanks, im waiting untill the good guys show next weekend maybe someone will have what i need cheap, im not opposed to c-notching the frame, mono leaves for the rear will cost me $380. Flipping the rear end will be much cheaper, just want to make sure i have everything figured out that i will need, perches, u-bolts, flat mounting plate for under the springs, i think i can get all that for about $50 from a trailer store, and a c-notch kit. Ogre why do you have 7 leaves? will i need to purchace anything else to properly flip the axel or is it just adjusting what is already there to get the ride height where you want it?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2012, 02:37 PM

Last photo:

Rear Springs

When I did mine, all I had to buy were four Grade 8 bolts and the poly liners and of course C-notching the frame. I dropped it 6 inches. It is by far the cheapest route.
Old 03-17-2012, 08:29 PM
the 'Duracell Project'

Last photo:

i have an 86 trans am rear end in truk. any 3rd gen camaro, trans am or firebird is the same 62'' width as the 55-59 chevy trucks. trans am and fbirds have disc brakes, maybe some of the camaros too. most camaros have drum. my rear end is geared 3.27 but they offered a 2.73, 3.23 and 3.42. truthfully i'd rather have a 2.73 for mileage (i only get 20.1 mpg now). for more info on rearend swaps go to chevytrucks.org scroll way down.

the trans am rearend has posi, sway bar and disc brakes, i do not know what others came with these options. these are known as 9 bolt rearends, not the stoutest rearend on the list but not shabby, especially in our light trucks. i do know that truk is a tire smoking monster and i have not torn it up yet.

3rd gen also had coil springs and a torque arm. i incorporated the torque arm with my leaf springs to eliminate wheel hop and rotation of the punkin. you can see where the torque arm bolts on the punkin in the first pic. i need to take a picture of the torque arm install i did.

truk axle is flipped on top of stock springs. i remove the 2 heavy overload springs from each side. i re-used on the shock mounts. the spring pads and plate came from a trailer supply house. the u-bolts came from a spring and suspension shop. i think my flip kit cost me $29 in parts. i also replaced my shackles, center bolt and used teflon spring liner for $130 total. rearend cost me $200. new end links for the sway bar cost me $15. i did c-notch 3'' with a slice of 4'' pipe that i had laying around.

hope this helps. more info on truk is on 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-21-2012, 09:04 AM

Last photo:

'59 Apache 8' Fleedside bed chrome value

Hello, I was wondering if anyone knew the value of a full set of '59 Apache 8' Fleedside bed chrome in good condition? I never see any listed for sale and can't get any kind of reference.
Thanks for any assistance...
Old 03-21-2012, 06:59 PM

Last photo:

Used Bed Strips

jolaroaa, Is it possible to attach photos of the bed strips? It's pretty hard to tell what "Good Condition" is. without seeing them.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:51 AM

Last photo:

Bed chrome pic

This is the only picture I have here at work... both sides are the same
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3766.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	64203  
Old 03-22-2012, 09:08 AM
the 'Duracell Project'

Last photo:

join just to make a profit off of us?
Old 03-24-2012, 06:21 PM
Almost Done... hahaha

Last photo:

alright well the good guys show today was a bust, couldnt find anything i needed, i ended up ordering the front mono springs from brothers, and after going back and forth a million times i finally decided to just go ahead and try the 2" lowering shackles for the rear, they werent that expensive and i'll give them a shot, plus after looking at it if i do the rear end flip i will have to find different wheels, the tires would hit the fenders if i go any more that 3-4 inches in the rear, i will see how the shackles go and let you guys know what i find... on another note, while i have the front end off (yeah i know that is how it always starts and how all the $$$ goes bye bye) i am thinking about doing power steering, all the front suspension is stock except for the mono leaves going in, 350/saginaw 4spd, i was looking at the "complete power steering conversion kit" that brothers has on sale:

http://www.brotherstrucks.com/prodin...number=CPSK059

anyone used this, i know there will need to be some modification to the steering column, not sure what needs to be done,

i think just this:

http://www.ecklerstrucks.com/univers...roduct_Related

i will google search unless someone has done this and has a quick answer, is this a good deal on this kit and it is really everything besides the steering column, or is there something else i should be looking into, keeping in mind CHEAP is good

Last edited by evilbeef54; 03-24-2012 at 06:39 PM.
Old 03-24-2012, 09:01 PM
Almost Done... hahaha

Last photo:

grrr... okay so another wrench in that idea, the truck currently has front motor mounts sooooo they block where i would put the PS pump, so i would have to figure out how to do side motor mounts, google search comes up with the mounts for sale but that is it, looks like i would have to do a cross member, further jacking up the price, may hold off

Last edited by evilbeef54; 03-24-2012 at 09:28 PM.
Old 03-25-2012, 12:39 AM
Almost Done... hahaha

Last photo:

uggg... what an eventful night, soooooo aparently it wont allow me to edit that last post... i was browsing Fleabay and came across what appears to be a good deal on a whole new accesory section for my 350 so i am getting all new chrome alternator, waterpump, and power steering pump, plus brackets and pullys, and it moves everything around where it should all clear the motor mounts, sooo now on to the power steering, it appears that i have 2 options either going with what is basically the first kit i posted minus the pump

http://www.performanceonline.com/194...k-Ratio-19153/
and
http://www.performanceonline.com/194...T-KIT-PSK4759/
for $369

or a rack and pinion set up like this

http://www.performanceonline.com/194...ION-KIT-19675/

for $678

either set up is going to require a coupler for the stock steering column, the question is, is the rack and pinion set up worth the extra $300, it looks like it will have more clearance for everything and is an overall easier install, but it is worth the extra $300, im thinking probably, just wanted to get your opinions
Old 03-27-2012, 08:37 PM

Last photo:

Tire & wheel advice

I'm thinking that I need to go in a different direction with the wheels on my truck.

Current wheels are 20" and the truck looks like this.

I would like to go with either 15 or 16 x8" 6 lug Corvette Rally wheels.

My truck is a 57 3100 with stock front suspension (want to upgrade to front didks at some point) and a 12 bolt out of a 64 c10 with leaf springs.

Anyone have pictures of their tri-five with this type of wheel?
Any advantage in going 16 over 15s?
Any advice/gotchas when going with this type of wheel?

Also, if any of you photoshop gurus can modify my truck so I can see what it would look like, that would be muy bueno!

Thanks!
Old 03-29-2012, 05:04 PM

Last photo:

Evilbeef54 brothers trucks has tech videos "diy tech" 47 to 59 power stering
Old 03-29-2012, 05:57 PM
Almost Done... hahaha

Last photo:

thanks i already looked at that, it is for the conversion box, i ended up ordering the rack and pinion steering kit, heard great things about it, it should be here in a few weeks, we will see how the install goes
Old 03-30-2012, 10:39 AM

Last photo:

I bought the power assisted stearing from CCP.I have not installed it yet but it is like the power stearing on the 64 Tbird.I liked it because I could use my stock stearing box and get modern tie rod ends.I wanted something I could just install without allot of work. Since I moved to Vegas I have been working in my yard getting it ready to put up a shop building.I just finished my retaining wall.It leveled off the property and gives me 12 X 75 of useable space.Now I can put in a 24 x 36 shop instead of a 15 x 20 shed.I hope to get back to the 58 by end of may.
Old 03-30-2012, 12:15 PM
Almost Done... hahaha

Last photo:

that will be nice to have a nice work space going. It will be interesting to head how that power steering conversion works out, with using the stock box will it still be a 20 turn lock to lock or what ever crazyness it is right now? I cant wait to get my truck up and running again, it is coming along, just finished welding up all the holes in the firewall and grinding them smooth, almost done grinding in the cab, about to pull the motor (if i can clear out room in the garage to work on it, lol) and get that all cleaned up and the new accesory drive on when that shows up, probably starting on the electrical soon, lots of work to go but it is nearing completion. Still have to figure out how to rig up the modern style hand parking brake and figure out if this jeep center console is going to work or what im gonna do about a center console.

Anyone know how to go about shipping front fenders, got a call froma guy that wants to buy my old front fenders but he is out in ohio and i am in California

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.