55 to 59 chevy truck owners - Page 188 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2012, 12:25 PM
the 'Duracell Project'

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

i'll try to contact admin on fgf again
haven't had any gas build up that i know of, i do use an agm gell battery. supposed to be able to mount them sideways.
stock had a ground strap batt to body and body to bell housing, that to me is sub-minimum and depends on two body screws to ground your starter.

i used 0 gauge battery cable: batt to a stud on a frame x-member, stud to trans, stud to body and stud to ground lug by my amps.
i need to put a 12v+ jump lug from my starter to an inner fender, it's on my to do list for the winter

went out to use truk today, power steering pump gave out. dang, dang, dang...
crappy rebuilt lasted 15,000 miles. i guess i have to plan on a new pump every 2-3 years
when i put a new rebuild on it i have the pressure reducer for the f*rd rack and hydroboost

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2012, 08:38 PM
Almost Done... hahaha

Last photo:

ah, ok, i just remember back from my engineer days on the ship that we had to have ventelation in all spaces where we had batteries charging because charging batteries create hydrogen gas, i dont think it is too big of a deal as long as there is some sort of vent tube out side

I guess i'll beef up my grounding staps some

cant wait to get this thing running I am CLOSE

damn new valve covers are a bit to tall though and hit the fire wall so they wont allign... nothing can ever be easy
Old 11-01-2012, 10:18 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilbeef54 View Post
ah, ok, i just remember back from my engineer days on the ship that we had to have ventelation in all spaces where we had batteries charging because charging batteries create hydrogen gas, i dont think it is too big of a deal as long as there is some sort of vent tube out side

I guess i'll beef up my grounding staps some

cant wait to get this thing running I am CLOSE

damn new valve covers are a bit to tall though and hit the fire wall so they wont allign... nothing can ever be easy
Go back to short valve covers. You don't want to have to dent the firewall in. The only reason you need tall valve covers is if you're running stud girdles.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:37 PM
Almost Done... hahaha

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonite View Post
Go back to short valve covers. You don't want to have to dent the firewall in. The only reason you need tall valve covers is if you're running stud girdles.
yeah that is the plan, just sucks, these were some awesome looking covers and a descent price
Old 11-21-2012, 10:49 PM

Last journal entry: My first Hotrod!

Finally read the thread!!

Holy Crap, I finally finished reading the complete thread, now I can post!! (sorry personal pet peave-people posting in threads they haven't read).

Anyway I have a '58 GMC long bed that I have just started restoring. I have been cutting and welding to fice the corner of the cab, not just the lower part, all the way up to the body line, it was a real hack fix when I got it.

I will be having my vacation coming up in two weeks and was wondering how everyone cleaned up the underside of their cabs? I had been thinking of removing the bed and laying some wood across the frame then rocking the cab back that way but I am concerned that things may buckle. I alos considered sitting it down on the firewall, anyone have experience with any good ways to do this?
Old 11-22-2012, 07:40 AM

Last photo:

nott too sure about the buckle thing, but I have seen pics of these cabs sitting on their backs. probably more stable than their firewall because they are flatter back there comparativley.
on another theme that relates, i am going to extend the cab on my 57 gmc, does anybody have any pics of how the interior cieling surround panels go together? are they welded in with the roof panel at the rain gutter? i was thinking of drilling all the spot welds for the back wall panel and then cutting the roof straight across at the back of the door , where the roofline starts it's bend down to the back wall. then that whole rear panel would come off in one piece. I just don't know if the inner cieling side panels are going to come along for the ride too. i would rather they stayed where they are and i can deal with them seperately. anybody got any experience with a rear wall replacement or a roof panel replacement or both? any info would be appreciated.
Old 11-22-2012, 02:12 PM
the 'Duracell Project'

Last photo:

I`ve had my truck cab on the back many times. I used old couch cushions when i did it. the guy that sand blasted my cab just pulledw it back on concrete without any damage

@dsraven. The factory assembly manual shows all the welding details
I'd cut up behind the doors and through the center of the roof
Old 11-22-2012, 03:30 PM

Last photo:

I was originally going to do the centre of the roof style of cut, but then i looked at it and noticed the cab tapers front to rear and it would mean a bunch more work. if I cut it near where the roof curves down to meet the back wall i would be able to just add metal into that area without having to worry about any tapering. what do you think of that idea?
Old 11-29-2012, 10:06 PM
Almost Done... hahaha

Last photo:

how many positions should the stock ingition switch have, i drilled out and was able to use a needle to remove the old key cylinder and when i pop in the new key cylinder it seems like it only has off and on, it doesn't appear to have a temp position for start or an acessory position of anything, is this switch normal or jacked up?
Old 11-29-2012, 11:05 PM

Last photo:

firstly, what are you working on, second, if you take the cylinder out you should be able to turn the switch with a screwdriver to see how many positions it has and then go from there. a pic would be even better. column switch or dash mounted? chev ford dodge?
Old 11-30-2012, 12:03 AM
Almost Done... hahaha

Last photo:

sorry, this is the 55-59 chevy truck thread but yeah... original ignition switch for the truck, dash mount, i removed the old cylinder and put in a new cyliner but it doesnt turn counter clockwise from off, and appears to have only one position clockwise from stop... i will try to get some pics up if needed
Old 11-30-2012, 07:44 AM

Last photo:

not totally sure how many positions those switches have, but I do have an original switchin my pile of parts. i will check it out and get back to you. they didn't have the spring loaded start position because they had the "step on the starter" pedal on the floor. lots of guys used to take that feature out and plug the hole in the floor, but then they had to do some wiring and replace the switch with the updated version that had that feature or just install a push button starter switch on the dash somewhere, and also update the starter to one that had a different type of solenoid on it instead of a heavy duty push switch that was lever actioned with the old floor pedal. anyway, i will take a look and get back to you, if I can find which box it is in. it is -14 celsius here in calgary alberta canada, so if I don't find it right away it may take me a few tries.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:17 AM
the 'Duracell Project'

Last photo:

I6 trucks had on/ off only. V8 trucks had off/ on/ start. None had acc, don't think that started until 72.
Old 11-30-2012, 03:26 PM
Almost Done... hahaha

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
I6 trucks had on/ off only. V8 trucks had off/ on/ start. None had acc, don't think that started until 72.
ah, ok looks like i have a I6 switch then, thanks
Old 12-01-2012, 12:12 PM

Last photo:

checked mine, on-off. no accesory, no starter.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.