55 to 59 chevy truck owners - Page 20 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2007, 04:56 AM
DaveNTN

Last journal entry: The Dash is ready!
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I'll get a pic of it and post it. The space behind the rear axle is limited due to the coil overs and the way the truck was tubbed. It is mechanically sound but not the cleanest or best way to get the job done. I may have plenty of room but just looking at it I may be limited. I'd just have to get some dimensions on the bronco tank. I do know I'd like to get the gas tank out of the cab.
Dave

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2007, 12:00 PM
Registered Hotrodder

Last photo:

apparently the tanks are 23 gallon (just looked it up) and the dimentions are 24" x 29" x 15". remember you have to either move the rear crossmember back, or notch out the bottom for the tank to fit.

Last edited by thrash; 01-18-2007 at 02:57 PM.
Old 01-18-2007, 05:26 PM

gas tank

dave - i will see if i can find the thread - it was either this site or the jalopy journal / HAMB site that someone used a tank that mounted inside the frame just behind the cab, like the later model chevy trucks. there was one tank that fit really well - oh yeah - it is willys36's project journal on this site. early in his journal he created an extended cab truck - check out his journal and see if that helps as far as a gas tank idea.
Old 01-19-2007, 03:56 PM

Last photo:

Lowered Trucks

Wow !!!! This quite a thread you guys have going here.
I have a question for everyone who has lowered their pickups. In the rear of my 57 which has also been lowered with mono leaf springs , I have about 2 inches of tire showing between the top of the rim and the edge of the fender opening. I have not notched the frame yet for more axle/ suspension travel and I have about 2 inches of clearance between the axle tubes and the stock rubber stops under the frame. On bumps and when i've put some weight in the back it does hit the stops , SO to fix that i'll box and notch the frame, more clearance, more travel, smoother ride.
BUT , I have noticed that the center section of my 10 bolt Chevelle rearend has been hitting the underside of the wood floor of the bed.
To you all that have notched frames and have gone even lower what did ya do about the rearend hitting the underside of your bed floor ????????
Thanks ,Gene
Old 01-19-2007, 03:59 PM

Last photo:

I've heard that a 69 or 70 mustang gas tank fits under the bed of our trucks.
Gene
Old 01-19-2007, 06:13 PM

I Have a 70 Mustang Fabed into my '57 Truck

I built a 1 " tubing frame around with two front and two rear brackets that go up to the frame to mount a 70 Mustang tank . I had to move the back cross member to the rear of the frame. It is my site www.meyerbrosrods.com under Tom's 57 Truck.
Old 01-19-2007, 06:59 PM
BigMike

Last photo:

hey 57halfton, i think that there is not a way around the rear end hitting the bed. im going to put air ride on my truck so either i have holes in my bed floor or i raise the floor so i still looks some what stock.
Old 01-20-2007, 12:51 AM
1955 2nd series Chevy Pick Up

Last journal entry: Body work and U bolts
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodsbyray
dave - i will see if i can find the thread - it was either this site or the jalopy journal / HAMB site that someone used a tank that mounted inside the frame just behind the cab, like the later model chevy trucks. there was one tank that fit really well - oh yeah - it is willys36's project journal on this site. early in his journal he created an extended cab truck - check out his journal and see if that helps as far as a gas tank idea.
http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ge=5&reverse=1

Here is the link to Willy's gas tank install. I might look at doing it this way also. I saw at a truck show someone had used a ranger tank in the same place Willy mounted his.
Old 01-20-2007, 09:42 AM

Last photo:

Gator there is only 12 inches of clearance between the frame and the drive shaft.A tank like the one on the willy wont fit.I was going to use one off a 92 1500 and mount it that way on the passenger side but there just isn't room.With this fleet side bed the only thing that looks like it will work for me is the saddle bag tanks off a mid 80's Chevy truck.I haven't run a tape across a set yet but I will when I can get out to the wrecking yard.They are snowed in right now so that will have to wait.You don't have that option with a step side bed.My 59 was a long bed step side but I like the extra bed space in this fleet side bed.I thought it was ugly when I bought it but I wouldn't go back to a step side now.The bed cover really changed the looks of the bed and I need the extra room for my tools and supplies when I am working.

Last edited by DOUBLEDICK; 01-20-2007 at 09:53 AM.
Old 01-20-2007, 11:01 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streamline55
hey 57halfton, i think that there is not a way around the rear end hitting the bed. im going to put air ride on my truck so either i have holes in my bed floor or i raise the floor so i still looks some what stock.

Yeah , I think i'm going to figure out how to raise the floor of mine an inch or so. I'm looking at that Fat Bar 4 link setup from NoLimit eng. with air bags for my truck , then raise the floor. Only want to take the bed off once for now, then again for paint (someday)
Gene
Old 01-20-2007, 04:13 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLEDICK
Gator there is only 12 inches of clearance between the frame and the drive shaft.A tank like the one on the willy wont fit..
DD- thats not helping me.... I like you want to put a hitch on the back of my truck. I will soon have the cab off and will be able to measure things a little better. Let me know if you find something and I will do the same
Old 01-21-2007, 07:54 AM

Last journal entry: The Chevy Bench Seat - Part 52
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLEDICK
With this fleet side bed the only thing that looks like it will work for me is the saddle bag tanks off a mid 80's Chevy truck.I haven't run a tape across a set yet but I will when I can get out to the wrecking yard.They are snowed in right now so that will have to wait.
I have an '83 Chevy C-30 with the side-saddle tanks out in my driveway as we speak. Let me know what measurements you need, and I'll do my best. The bed is still on it, so everything will have to be measured from beneath the truck - hope that doesn't cause a problem. If you want pictures, I can do that too.

I'm about 30 miles east of Carson City. No snow here, but it's still colder than a well digger's belt buckle. It's times like this that I wonder why I ever left Hawaii...
Old 01-21-2007, 03:06 PM

Last photo:

Dusty82 you are still 500 miles from me which will not make it cost effective to come get them but thanks for the offer.Gator I know you dont want to here this but if you come to Ely you can get that short bed frame and fleetside box at this wrecking yard.I bet he would take $500 for the whole truck.The cab is junk and stripped but its a good parts piece.

Last edited by DOUBLEDICK; 01-21-2007 at 03:11 PM.
Old 01-21-2007, 03:59 PM

Last photo:

DD thanks for the offer for the short bed find. But I like the stepside look more than the fleetside. But hey I might change my mind.

Hey Dusty82 what are the measurements for the saddle tanks? I would like to see if that model would fit on my 55 truck.

Thanks,
James
Old 01-21-2007, 06:11 PM
BigMike

Last photo:

Hey guys, i have herd about using a 78-87 monte carlo clip instead of a camaro clip, i know where i can get a 78 cutlass supreme for next to nothing. i need some help from some one who has used a monte clip. and if im not mistaken a 78 supreme is the same as a monte right? i need to get my suspension done within the next 2 months. please help!!!

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.