55 to 59 chevy truck owners - Page 22 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2007, 08:57 PM
BigMike

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Hey dave... i just ran out side and looked at my truck... those dents are not there on mine, but i did have a little scaring from when i pulled my motor. maybe when someone pulled or set the motor in, before your ownership, the motor hit the fire wall. i would smoothe them out if possible. Mike

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2007, 10:57 PM
DaveNTN

Last journal entry: The Dash is ready!
Last photo:

They didn't look right to me. I figured I'd need to do something with them but it's hard to tell what it should look like. I have a pic of the motor in and there doesn't seem to be any reason for them to be there. Not sure why someone would beat the firewall in like that.
Thanks,
Dave
Old 01-25-2007, 09:27 AM
1955 2nd series Chevy Pick Up

Last journal entry: Body work and U bolts
Last photo:

Dave,
I went out and looked at my firewall. I don't have those dents either. My cab is ready to pull but still on the frame so I can't get a good pic due to the motor.
Old 01-25-2007, 02:24 PM

Last photo:

Dave I have those dents in my truck.I put them there myself to make room for the tall rocker covers on my big block when it had a manual trans and the bell housing had to be bolted to the cross member.I now have a 700r4 and moved the engine up and forward to be centered on the radiator.I will have to fix them when it is time for body work.They shouldn't be necessary for your small block even with tall rocker covers.When you fix them they just make a corner that is rounded.On page one post 2 of this thread is a link to a picture of kims 57 that shows the firewall so you have a picture to look at.Page one post 10 has a link to Tom Meyers web site and he has a good clear picture of his fire wall that will help you too.

Last edited by DOUBLEDICK; 01-25-2007 at 02:38 PM.
Old 01-25-2007, 04:31 PM
DaveNTN

Last photo:

Great! Thanks. I'll check them out. I am going to fix them but I wanted something to look at to get an idea of what it is suppose to look like. The indentions and curves on the firewall make it a little more than cut and dry on how it should look. I welded up the holes in the inner fender wells today. The copper plate on the backside held on with a magnet really helped to fill in the 1/4 inch holes. I'm going to get some help on the firewall itself. I don't want anything catching fire while I'm standing in the doghouse with a ladder to get out. I've got everything together to get it all back together except the gauges. They should be in any day. Can't wait to get the engine back in and the axle, o and the power disc brakes, and the wiring harness, and the driveshaft, and the ........ sure didn't seem like that much stuff when I was taking it apart.
Dave
Old 01-25-2007, 11:15 PM

Last journal entry: 57 pickup 8.8 rear axle install
Last photo:

I need some dash knob deletes

There's a couple of spare holes in my dash and I need some of those dummy trims that look like knobs on the end of the cable pulls. Anyone know where I could get some? Good used condition would be fine.
Old 01-26-2007, 09:33 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrsue
There's a couple of spare holes in my dash and I need some of those dummy trims that look like knobs on the end of the cable pulls. Anyone know where I could get some? Good used condition would be fine.
I pulled some knobs off a truck in the junkyard years ago and drilled them out to fit different things I had installed. I am going to use one as my start button.

Try these also.
http://brothersonlinestore.com/products.asp?dept=567
http://www.grumpystruckparts.com/productCat50370.ctlg
http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/ca/0031.asp
Old 01-26-2007, 12:16 PM

Last journal entry: 57 pickup 8.8 rear axle install
Last photo:

Gator, Thanks for the links but I couldn't find what I was looking for. These knob deletes or dummies were original equipment and basically filled the holes in the unused cable locations and radio knob locations if you didn't get the radio. They look just like the real knobs on the front but they are flatter and are held on with speed nuts in the back.
Old 01-26-2007, 04:40 PM

Last photo:

I've seen those but don't know who sells them if anybody. Like I said I made my own. But I am not going for the orginal look.....I'll keep an eye out for you.
Old 01-27-2007, 08:06 AM

Last photo:

My 55 GMC 1/2 ton Stepside PU

Hi, My Name is Al Breznay I soon will be 80 years old. I live in Tucson,AZ. I have been retired for a number of years after being an auto mechanic over 50 years. Also was in my own auto repair business. in the meantime I keep busy doing Handyman jobs etc.
I just want to join your 55 to 59 group to share our photos etc regarding our projects. Since I am not very experienced at this kind of sharing, please be patience with me. First of all I purchased the 55 GMC about a year ago after I sold the 48 GMC because it had an enclosed drive shaft.
Since I don't know just how to begin I will try to include a few photos but I will need your help to explain to me how that can be done.
Thanks in advance...........Al alias Phxamigo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Al's Camera 023.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	18024   Click image for larger version

Name:	Al's Camera 025.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	18025   Click image for larger version

Name:	Al's Camera 024.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	18026  
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Al's Camera 020.jpg (90.4 KB, 105 views)

Last edited by Phxamigo; 01-29-2007 at 08:10 AM.
Old 01-27-2007, 10:06 AM

Last photo:

Welcome aboard Al. You will find that everybody on this board will be more than willing to help in any way they can. Don,t hesitate to ask for any advice.
Kim
Old 01-28-2007, 11:20 AM
DaveNTN

Last photo:

Welcome Al.
A brief instruction tutorial.
First your pictures must be located on your computer.
Next, when you post on the board, below is a box that will say attach file. You click on that.
Next you go to the browse button and it will let you find your file on your computer and you upload it to the post.
If you want you can attach multiple files ( pics ).
Give it a shot and you'll find it's not too hard to do.
Dave
Old 01-29-2007, 08:37 AM

Last photo:

Welcome aboard AL! This is a great site full of great guys that like to work on cars, trucks, well just about anything that has wheels. Feel free to ask if you need some help with the computer stuff. We all had a learning process to go thru. Welcome aboard and hope to see a journal soon!

James
Old 01-29-2007, 08:51 PM
BigMike

Last photo:

Well fellas..... it is tax time. I am gettin back a good chunk of change. If everything falls into place i should have about $1500-2000 in a month. I was wondering what i should do with it. a couple options i have right now is Mustang 2 ifs(i can peice on together for about $1000) or camaro sub($100 plus rebuild)/ Cutlass sub($300). Im leaning more toward a sub frame. Or i could buy my patch pannels and air ride(550) and 4link($200). I just do not know what direction to go. Anyone have any opinions about my situation? Mike
Old 01-29-2007, 08:54 PM
DaveNTN

Last photo:

Spent the day today welding up the firewall. Man.... I don't know why there were so many holes. Found a great way to patch. My brother works in a welding shop and he popped me out a bunch of rounds out of 11 gauge. The punch left them with a slight outward bulge and nipple. I would put one of the rounds that was just a tad bigger than the hole on the inside of the firewall and tack it up. I'm covering the inside with baffling so the patch does't bother me from the inside and it worked out really good. Looks like a mess but it's going to turn out great.

Decided to use a piece of stainless to cover part of the firewall so the body work doesn't have to be that great, I just couldn't stand covering up all those holes, so I'm going to fix them all before I cover it up.

Hope everybody is doing well and projects are coming along. It was nice to get something done besides get stuff ready.

Any input on a good location for the battery besides the firewall?

Dave

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.