55 to 59 chevy truck owners - Page 25 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2007, 07:52 PM
DaveNTN

Last journal entry: The Dash is ready!
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Jordon,
Love the truck. Thanks for the extra pictures. I bought paint for mine today. Can't wait to get the doghouse painted so I can get the drop axle and springs and power disc brakes, and wire harness, and transmission, and driveshaft and interior back in it. Geeeeeeeeeeze!

Maybe you could mount the nitrous on a pallet and it will look like your delivering it somewhere. Couple straps around it.

Gator, take a look under the cab on the passenger side. There is a lot of room to mount the battery there. I'm making up a battery tray that will drop down to service but you can buy a ready made at Brothers. That's where I got the idea.

Dave

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2007, 08:04 PM

Last photo:

Advanced design p/u

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCH
Here are some pics.
Hey Terrence....It's fun working on them. I also wanted to clear things up. Your's is the early '55 (not advanced design). The late '55;'56;'57's are the advanced design. These are pics of my son's '55 that we are constantly working on (some day it will be finished).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cnv0004.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	18347   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cnv0006.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	18348  
Old 02-09-2007, 05:18 AM

Last photo:

1955 Advanced Design 1st Series

Deliveryboy,

The truck looks great and is sounds like great team work with you and your son!

I am not sure of your comments...as per the Stove Bolt web page, the 1947 - 1955.5 trucks are considered the Advanced Design. The 1955.5 is referred to as the 1st Series. The 1955.5 was produced for the first three months of 1955.

The 1955 that was made in the fourth month of 1955 is referred to as the 2nd Seriies 1955. The 1955 - 1959 trucks are referred to as Task Force.
This is the information I have found while reseaching my 1955.5

Terrence
Old 02-09-2007, 06:28 AM
DaveNTN

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieG
The reason I wrote to this board was to learn more about the Chevy Apache Fleetsides. Like.... how long were these made? I haven't seen that many of them; were they a popular truck in there day? I love the wrap-around back window, was this style limited to the fleetside?

Thanks!
Charlie,
The big back window was an option that came with the deluxe package. It can be found on fleetside and stepside.
Same thing with the 5 window on the 47 thru 55 1rst series. It was considered a deluxe cab.
Dave
Old 02-09-2007, 08:30 AM

Last photo:

The reason I wrote to this board was to learn more about the Chevy Apache Fleetsides. Like.... how long were these made? I haven't seen that many of them; were they a popular truck in there day? I love the wrap-around back window, was this style limited to the fleetside?

Thanks![/QUOTE]
CharlieG as far as I know the fleet side was only available in 58 and 59.they changed the body style in 1960.The cameo and the step side are more popular but there are allot of the fleet side beds still around.I didn't like mine at first but working out of it made me appreciate the extra room in the bed.You cant put a roll top bed cover on a step side.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_1051 (600 x 450).jpg
Views:	195
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	18360   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1053 (600 x 450).jpg
Views:	193
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	18361   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1054 (600 x 450).jpg
Views:	202
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	18362  
Old 02-09-2007, 08:50 AM
DaveNTN

Last photo:

Sweet cover. That really looks good.
Dave
Old 02-09-2007, 09:25 AM

Last photo:

Dave in just a little while I am going out to the garage the fab up the parts to put a 67 chevy truck parking brake cable on my 58.I will take pictures of the parts with measurements so you can do it to your 59 while you have everything out of the way.The 67 cable uses the same parking brake handle as our trucks
Old 02-09-2007, 09:41 AM
1955 2nd series Chevy Pick Up

Last journal entry: Body work and U bolts
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeliveryBoy
Hey Terrence....It's fun working on them. I also wanted to clear things up. Your's is the early '55 (not advanced design). The late '55;'56;'57's are the advanced design. These are pics of my son's '55 that we are constantly working on (some day it will be finished).
WELCOME TCH! This is a bunch of great guys and gals here on this site. Theses guys have helped me shorten a tilt wheel column, figure out my power steering problems, help me and encouraged me to keep moving on my truck. Don't be afraid to ask any questions as we are all here to help one another. Make sure to post pics also cause we love pics here.

MMMMM...I think Terrance is correct in that he has a 1955 1st series Advance Design. The 1955 2nd series thru 1959 was the Task force.

http://www.chevytrucks.org/resources...evy_trucks.htm

http://www.chevytrucks.org/general/links.htm

Anybody else.

Oh by the way Terrance enjoy the autobody class..I know I do this is my third semester! Keep us posted and be sure to start a journal and let us know when you do.

Last edited by gator412; 02-09-2007 at 09:46 AM.
Old 02-09-2007, 11:11 AM

Last photo:

Cowl plenum cleaning...help

Hey guys I need to clean my cowl plenum and then protect it some how. I am thinking about power washing it then trying to get some por 15 in there. The washing I think will go ok but getting por 15 or any thing else for that matter down there might be hard. The truck was had lots of rust on it so I doubt this area would be any different. Maybe i could gut a few access hole to be able to put a brush or stick with por in there. Then weld up the access hole. I would rather not have to cut and weld but. I'd rather do that than hev the area rot out in a few years. The plenum seems to be in descent shape with just the normal rust out on the bottom near the cab.

So any comments or suggestions?

Here are links to the pics in my journal.
http://hotrodders.com/journal_photos...1710435281.jpg
http://hotrodders.com/journal_photos...1710445360.jpg
http://hotrodders.com/journal_photos...1710445371.jpg
Old 02-09-2007, 11:38 AM
DaveNTN

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLEDICK
Dave in just a little while I am going out to the garage the fab up the parts to put a 67 chevy truck parking brake cable on my 58.I will take pictures of the parts with measurements so you can do it to your 59 while you have everything out of the way.The 67 cable uses the same parking brake handle as our trucks
DD... that would be great. It's something I've put on the back burner that has to be done before I drop the engine and tranny back in. Lokar is located here in Knoxville and I know they have some generic parts to run from the brakes to the engagement cable. Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated. I'm outside today hanging plastic to the ceiling to form a barrier from the rest of the garage so I can spray the firewall, frame, and inner fenderwells. I do want to use the original handle and there is an access hole right above the steering column I think I can use to run it into the cab.
Dave
Old 02-09-2007, 02:41 PM

Last photo:

Hey Guys & Gals...I am wrong and you are totally right about the Advance Design and the Task Force Design. I have been a Chevy guy all my life and I knew that. I really don't know what I was thinking when I wrote that last night. I am really embarrassed!! SORRY!! Is there a dunce cap I can wear in the corner for awhile?
Old 02-09-2007, 03:44 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gator412
Hey Chrisape would you have any pics of the way it is mounted? Can you describe how it is mounted? How hard is it to get to. This sounds like a great place to mount the battery.
I made an angle iron frame for the battery, and bolted it to the truck frame using flat head bolts. I also have a juction block on the inner fender where I run 12V for my fuse block, alt, and starter. Glad to help ya out!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fuse block.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	250.0 KB
ID:	18375   Click image for larger version

Name:	battery.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	250.9 KB
ID:	18376   Click image for larger version

Name:	battery2.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	224.7 KB
ID:	18377  

Last edited by chrisape; 02-09-2007 at 03:50 PM.
Old 02-09-2007, 04:51 PM

Last photo:

Very cool chrisape.. I think that is what I will do. Thanks a bunch for the pics...they really help. Do you get the battery out by sliding it off to the front or rear?

Deliveryboy..hehehe...dang it just bites to get older don't it...I think so....we all have brain farts sometimes
Old 02-09-2007, 05:11 PM
DaveNTN

Last photo:

That's where my battery is going. I'm making up a bracket that will let me drop it down to service. I need to get a battery with side terminals like that.

I was having a problem with dust and worried about when I paint, getting it on everything so I spent the day putting up a temp spray booth. I put some eye screws in the ceiling, then ran a piece of polyestor rope around the area. Finished off with 4 mil plastic clamped to the rope. Worked better than I thought it would and at a cost of about 50 bucks. I can take the plastic down and reuse it when I'm ready to do more spraying. This will keep dust and paint off of everything including the walls.
Dave
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P2100655com.JPG
Views:	269
Size:	144.9 KB
ID:	18378   Click image for larger version

Name:	P2100656com.JPG
Views:	243
Size:	166.9 KB
ID:	18379   Click image for larger version

Name:	P2100657com.JPG
Views:	225
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	18380  
Old 02-09-2007, 05:13 PM
Car? Truck? Who Cares

Last journal entry: First week of December
Last photo:

I just acquired a 64 c-10
Got it for airmiles
Has been sitting in a field for since before jan of 98 (last inspection sticker)
mostly rust free/ completely dent free (rust around top of cab where roof panel meets the cab)
6cyl/3spd------This truck actually started right up and ran smooth after 10 years!!

While looking for info on these I found that the 60-66 were called>>>The V-8 Era trucks.

I actually got this for a father son project and have 5 years before he starts driving, so I should get a real good head start on my 66 Elky, before "we" get real heavy into the 64.

(yes, I know these are not 55-59 toys, but since DD said my 59 Elky is a truck I will babble here occaisionally )

You guys here are a sea of information and ideas that could apply to most any pick-up and I enjoy reading thru this thread.

DD----you have just about enough activity here to start your own personal forum ------(must talk to Jon)

Bryan

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.