55 to 59 chevy truck owners - Page 28 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2007, 10:31 AM
Car? Truck? Who Cares

Last journal entry: First week of December
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLEDICK
I bought a right angle drill head at Sears today.It is for a 3/8 chuck drill and was only $20.Why did I wait so many years to get 1 when they are so cheap After I drill the holes in the dashboard support and bolt the bracket in place I will take pictures before and after I bolt on the cable.
These are handy for a lot of things----priming a chev engine while it is in the car is first on my list. Drilling thru 2x4s for wiring during the inevitable room or house remodel is another. and also drilling to remove broken exhaust manifold bolts with the engine in the car.

Any one of these projects will pay for the drill at the first use
I prefer a 1/2" drill

Bryan

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2007, 12:08 AM

Last photo:

WOW Dave that really looks good
Old 02-19-2007, 09:40 AM
1955 2nd series Chevy Pick Up

Last journal entry: Body work and U bolts
Last photo:

Nice firewall Dave!
Old 02-19-2007, 09:51 AM
DaveNTN

Last journal entry: The Dash is ready!
Last photo:

Thanks. It was probably somewhat of a wasted effort to do all the body work and get it looking good and then cover it up but I couldn't stand knowing that under the stainless was a mess. I'm going to grind down the welds that are showing on the wire tube today, paint the metal on the front that holds the latch, and shackles. I hope to sandblast the steering arms too. Looks like the front end will be going back together today. My brother also made me up a radiator cover. I have an aftermarket aluminum radiator and the cover has a notch in it for the cap. You can see it in the picture also. I can't wait to get the motor back in it.
Old 02-19-2007, 06:30 PM

Last photo:

67 Chevelle rear end..

I have the chance to get a rearend out of a 67 chevelle. Does any one know if this will fit width wise under my 55 2nd series Chevy truck?
James
Old 02-19-2007, 10:25 PM

Last photo:

If you check this site you should be able to get its width. Hope this helps.
http://carnut.com/specs/frear.html
Kim
Old 02-20-2007, 06:39 AM
DaveNTN

Last journal entry: The Dash is ready!
Last photo:

I'm getting ready to put in my upgraded tie rod and ends. It looks like the old ball joints have to be pressed out and when I do, the hole they leave where the new tie rods bolt in is going to be way bigger than the tie rod ends bolt. I know a few of you have done this upgrade. What is the correct way to install these new tie rod ends?

I'm also putting in new king pins and bushings for the first time. Any special instructions or tips would be appreciated.

Dave

Last edited by dmaggard; 02-20-2007 at 07:27 AM.
Old 02-20-2007, 08:51 AM

Last photo:

Thanks Kim57 according to the chart I should be able to fit that rear end.
Old 02-20-2007, 09:07 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaggard
I'm getting ready to put in my upgraded tie rod and ends. It looks like the old ball joints have to be pressed out and when I do, the hole they leave where the new tie rods bolt in is going to be way bigger than the tie rod ends bolt. I know a few of you have done this upgrade. What is the correct way to install these new tie rod ends?

I'm also putting in new king pins and bushings for the first time. Any special instructions or tips would be appreciated.

Dave
Dave,
I did all that years ago on my truck. As I recall it seemed to be straight forward. I don't recall having to have the ball joints pressed out. As far as the kingpins went they were pretty easy also. Do you have the shop manual for the truck? That is what I use to reference when I work on mine. Also the factory assembly manual really helps in that is shows every component broke down.

Check your private messages. I sent you some info.

I found this alos..it might help.
http://chevy.tocmp.com/year.htm

Last edited by gator412; 02-20-2007 at 10:34 AM.
Old 02-20-2007, 11:18 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaggard

Dave
Go to www.BrothersTrucks.com They have a tech article on this with lots of pictures.I found it while doing some research.
Old 02-21-2007, 09:05 AM

por

gator, i tried por's primer a few years ago and didn't like it at all. very thick and hard to work with. when i tried to thin it, it just wouldn't come to a good consistency. and to beat all - in about a month the area i was able to prime and paint peeled off right down to the por. i ended up sanding the peeled areas and repainting them with regular primer and then paint. that did the trick.

i think priming it with regular primer when the por is tacky gives the best result.

also, there is a company called durabak that i believe makes a similar product that has many colors.
Old 02-21-2007, 09:44 AM

Last photo:

Ray,
Sounds like I did the right thing...and saved some money also. I just went and tried to scratch off the primer I sprayed over the por-15 I scuffed up. I had one small spot that was not covered by primer due to the wire it was hanging on. I thought I would be able to scrap off some primer here....nope not a bit. So now we know if por-15 is dry scuff it up with 220 and your good to go!
Old 02-21-2007, 03:17 PM

Last photo:

Hey, Gator

I put a 67 Chevelle 10 bolt in my 57 Chevy pickup , it fits great. I also run 15 x 8 1/2 American mags on the rear w/ 275-60 15 tires, they are close but they fit.
One more thing if your truck is lowered you should cut off the round ears for the rubber bushings where the upper trailing arms went for the Chevelle,( in the center above the cover).
The same rearend from a 68 to 72 Chevelle is one inch wider.
Gene
Old 02-21-2007, 11:16 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57halfton
Hey, Gator

I put a 67 Chevelle 10 bolt in my 57 Chevy pickup , it fits great. I also run 15 x 8 1/2 American mags on the rear w/ 275-60 15 tires, they are close but they fit.
One more thing if your truck is lowered you should cut off the round ears for the rubber bushings where the upper trailing arms went for the Chevelle,( in the center above the cover).
The same rearend from a 68 to 72 Chevelle is one inch wider.
Gene
Thanks Gene...I am going to look at the rear end on Friday. I got another lead on another rear end. So I hopefully have one by Friday night. We'll see. How hard is it to rebuild a rear end and is it expensive? I do most all my own work so I won't think rebuilding a rear end would be too difficult....I am familiar with the process.
Old 02-22-2007, 10:37 AM

Last photo:

I used a 78 GMC 4x4 rearend.It cost me 20 bucks for the 2 inch wide spring perches and the Richmond Gear 4.56 ring and pinion set was about $300.The pinion set up tool was $89.I also put in a power trax locker for $450.I had never done one before so I took my time and checked and rechecked everything.It was not hard.I like the power trax locker but I can feel it lock and unlock in corners,it takes some getting used to.I was not planning on rebuilding the rear when I bought the power trax locker and they install in place of the spider gears.A Currie limited slip carrier is only $380 and what I would have bought if I had decided on 4.56 gears before buying the locker.While I was into the rearend I put in new axle bearings and seals for peace of mind in knowing it was all new.In this post page 5 post 66 I posted more details on the installation

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.