55 to 59 chevy truck owners - Page 31 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2007, 09:38 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Dave

The motor I'm putting in my 58 came out of my 68 Camero.It's a 350, I broke a rocker stud and didn't think to much about it. A week later I broke another stud. The motor came with the car so I didn't know what was in it only that it had solid lifters and ran really good. Come to find out the cam was .536 lift on the ex and .514 on the intake and it was the ex studs that were breaking.
Found out the stamped rockers didn't have enough slot for that size cam and were hitting the stud and was pushing (bending)the stud. Got some roller rockers -- problem fixed. I have been going through these post's real fast and might have missed it if you said what you found on your rocker problem.
Jim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2007, 10:14 PM

I can tell you guy's are just what I was looking for so thanks in advance. The only problem I have with the straight front end is safety. My brother had this truck(Chevy) before me I had the GMC. One day back in 77-78 he was passing a car and was running around 90 when it started to shake real bad(he didn't know the right side of the front end had come loose) when he hit the brakes the axle slid back and shot him towards a guardrail. He drove 5 mph back home and parked it,it has never been driven since. Has this happened to anyone else? Jim
Old 02-27-2007, 12:10 AM
1955 2nd series Chevy Pick Up

Last journal entry: Body work and U bolts
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Nurple
The only problem I have with the straight front end is safety.
I have to disagree on the safety part. If you take care of your equipment it will take care of you. Look at all the old gassers that were running 1/4 mile. Even look at the some of the big trucks today they run the same basic axle setup as we have on our trucks. I recall this "safety" issue with straight axles was discussed before...maybe in the front suspension forum. Anyway it was found to be safe. But hey what do we know?? I bring my truck to a front end shop that does straight axles, they have the equipment to align them and fix them if need be.
In the thread below contact willys36, if you need some more info. He is the king of straight axles!

Here is a link to a straight axle shake problem and the answer to it.
Death Wobble
Old 02-27-2007, 06:32 AM

My Camaro Clip Experience

I have a Camaro clip in my '57 pickup. I paided $200.00 for the clip with a 1 1/8 sway bar. I put $900.00 in the clip to get all new parts including a Iroc Z steering box. I used 1 1/2" lowering springs to get the front end down a little more. This totals to $1100.00. A Mustange II runs about $1700.00 and up for a good one. I not sure that is even with a sway bar. I was stupid and paided $200.00 of this amount to get the bushings pressed in. I will do this my self the next time. This is now equivalent a new front end.

The front clip was tack welded into place within 4 hrs of starting the graphing processing. The subframe is absolutely the right width. My brother, Don, and I used the tape which shows you step by step how to do this but we choose not to narrow the clip but taper the clip into the truck frame. Plus we did not weld the horns back on the front of the frame. We just fabbed up our own brace for the core support. I made up a jig to locate the core support back to where it should be.

I did send quite a bit of time taking the front end apart as well as cleaning up the subframe and the control arms, swaybar, and spindles. Everything else was brand new.

These are the numbers and the effort to do a Camaro graph on a '57 Chevy pickup. You can see pictures on my site www.meyerbrosrods.com. I was thinking you would want as much info as possible to make an informed decision. Plus, the truck will handle and ride great with a Camaro front end.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:03 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gator412
Maybe Jon will give us our own 55-59 truck
heading so all this knowledge can be better accessed and separated. There seems to be enough of us. I vote for Double Dick to be the moderator.
Gator you and Dave are on here more than me.I barely have time to read this thread.Right now I am hard pressed to find time to even read the daily posts.I think this thread is plenty good enough.When I started this thread I was just looking for other guys to share my accomplishments with.I found them I would like to have a journal but I just don't have time and I would rather work on my truck then type on this keyboard.I know if I would just work on it a little bit each day it would be done but at the end of the day I find myself in a recliner with a margarita in one hand and the TV remote in the other and no desire to turn on the computer at all.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:29 AM
DaveNTN

Last journal entry: The Dash is ready!
Last photo:

Quote:
Dave

The motor I'm putting in my 58 came out of my 68 Camero.It's a 350, I broke a rocker stud and didn't think to much about it. A week later I broke another stud. The motor came with the car so I didn't know what was in it only that it had solid lifters and ran really good. Come to find out the cam was .536 lift on the ex and .514 on the intake and it was the ex studs that were breaking.
Found out the stamped rockers didn't have enough slot for that size cam and were hitting the stud and was pushing (bending)the stud. Got some roller rockers -- problem fixed. I have been going through these post's real fast and might have missed it if you said what you found on your rocker problem.
Jim
JIm,
The motor I had was a freshly built 350 and had aluminum heads. Seems that the brass guide for the lifters was just a tad too long making the rocker slam the stud everytime it rocked. Seems the company had the problem with a number of heads they had sent out. I have the motor back but haven't got it back in to see how it does. Hope it has been taken care of. Thanks for the input... I'll check for that if I still have the problem.

DD... I go months working on the truck everyday, can't wait to get something in or hooked up or painted... then, boom, I don't want to look at if for days or weeks. That's what I enjoy about this whole thing. I'm at the age and position now that I work on it as I want to, not because I have to. As a matter of fact, when it isn't fun anymore I stop. I'd say the recliner and margarita thing is just what you need right now. Matter of fact... might lay off the old truck tonight, park in the recliner, glue to the remote and hit the bottle.

Dave

Last edited by dmaggard; 02-27-2007 at 10:42 AM.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:57 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Hello. I'm new to this bulletin board so I'm sorry if this has been asked a thousand times but I'm at work and can't read all the post's. I have a 58 Chevy short bed fleetside I'm getting ready to restore. I drove this truck for a couple of years before parking it 15-20 years ago. Two thing's I'm going to do before I ever drive it again is power steering and power brakes.I did see on an post that mid 70's camero and firebird front end's fit nice, I also have seen kit's for around $2500.00 new on the net. Any advise ? I have a welder but not a torch (yet). Thanks Jim
Herb the first thing you have to do is decide what you will do with your truck.I use my 58 as my daily driver and work truck.I am a Correctional Officer at Ely Maximum Security Prison just outside of town and my second job is carpet installation so my 58 is a self supporting project that I have to keep up and running.I live in the mountains were it snows(it is snowing right now).Up here if you lower your truck you can forget about driving it from September till May and the standard pot hole is a foot deep and 2 feet across.You can tell who the drunks are around here because they are the only one driving strait down the road (not driving around the pot holes).My truck is set up for towing a trailer and hauling a bed full of tools.Sometimes I even have to drive through the sage brush to get to the job site.I like to go to car shows and run it down the drag strip once in a while.Ely is a small town at 6500 feet elevation so I can get away with a high compression big block and 4.56 gears and only burn 15 gallons of gas a week.The down side is to bring the truck off the mountain I have to change the jets and needles in the carb to get it rich enough,bump my octane up to 93(minimum)and back off the timing to control detonation.It is hard to keep from getting too carried away on the high performance.I like the stock look for the body and interior but wont settle for it driving like a stock 58 apache.There are so many options available to you so decide what you want out of your 58 then build it to accommodate your wants and needs.Just don't forget to share your ideas and your pictures with us
Old 02-27-2007, 11:32 AM

Last photo:

Dave I am at home now and don't have to go back to Vegas till next Thursday.Linda is doing well and can move about so I can work on fabricating the rest of the parking brake.I am going out the fire wall were the stock bar went through.I plan to make the bracket underneath the truck bolt up at the brake booster so it should work fine on your truck even though you are coming out the shifter hole with your cable.I plan to start that project tomorrow.Today after I build a fire and get the shop and the parts warm enough to paint. I plan to paint my brake handle and the bracket I made.I will post pictures of the placement of the bracket before and after I bolt the handle back in and bolt the cable to it.
Old 02-27-2007, 11:39 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLEDICK
I find myself in a recliner with a margarita in one hand and the TV remote in the other and no desire to turn on the computer at all.
I hear ya and fully understand. I sit in front of 3 computer screens all day. I own my own business so I can visit this site as often as I like....some times too much to be truthful.

I am like Dave in that I am in a position to work on the truck when I want to. (That has been a long time coming!)

But this site has turned out to be very helpful plus look at all the friends we have now!

OK back to work
Old 02-27-2007, 11:40 AM
DaveNTN

Last journal entry: The Dash is ready!
Last photo:

Quote:
Dave I am at home now and don't have to go back to Vegas till next Thursday.Linda is doing well and can move about so I can work on fabricating the rest of the parking brake.I am going out the fire wall were the stock bar went through.I plan to make the bracket underneath the truck bolt up at the brake booster so it should work fine on your truck even though you are coming out the shifter hole with your cable.I plan to start that project tomorrow.Today after I build a fire and get the shop and the parts warm enough to paint. I plan to paint my brake handle and the bracket I made.I will post pictures of the placement of the bracket before and after I bolt the handle back in and bolt the cable to it.
Sounds great. Hope everything is going well for the wife. I'm going to order the 67 cable today along with some misc. bolts and gaskets. Brakes are the next thing on my list. I called CPP and they are sending me out a new caliper. Hope this one fits. Such a wierd thing to happen. I'm busy at work this week and won't get to work on the truck much. Going to run by the paint store today and try to match up the paint so I can repaint the dash before I start on the wiring and interior. I have a cover plate on the dash where the heater controls go on the fancier models. I'm going to weld that shut and do some minor body work on the dash. It is so sweet watching this thing go back together. Hard not to get in a rush to get it done. It is in the 60's here today. Really warm for this time of year. Got the Spring juices flowin.
Dave
Old 02-27-2007, 12:05 PM

Last photo:

Ha Ha Spring in my yard today
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1702 (1280 x 960).jpg
Views:	148
Size:	258.3 KB
ID:	18885  
Old 02-27-2007, 12:58 PM

Last photo:

Quote:

Whats all the white stuff?
Old 02-27-2007, 01:44 PM
Worn Out and Broken

DoubleDick said:

Quote:
I'm sure glad I don't have to put up with that white stuff anymore. I loved the rural life, and cried when I pulled out of the mountains for the last time - it was raining when I left, and it started snowing a couple of days later and left the first foot or so for the season, but the change was almost a necessity for our health and well being.

I'm happy to hear that your wife is getting on some better; I've been wondering how she was doing - you have been pretty quiet recently, but I didn't want to intrude; tried to e-mail you, but it didn't work.
Old 02-27-2007, 02:29 PM

Last photo:

Rrumbler good to here from you.With all the doctor appointments 2 surgeries and a back log of carpet jobs to get done I have not had a chance to do much lately.The snow just makes me enjoy the summer and camping that much more. Gator that white stuff is no extra charge I get it free just for being here and it keeps me in shape helping it out of the driveway
Old 02-27-2007, 03:07 PM

We don't get near as much snow in the Kansas City area that we used to --Global Warming?

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.