55 to 59 chevy truck owners - Page 39 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2007, 09:01 PM
DaveNTN

Last journal entry: The Dash is ready!
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

DD.... your pics and instructions are going to save me a lot of time and trouble shooting. Thanks for all the info. I meant to tell you that when you put up your make shift spray booth... you need to leave slack in each corner. That way... when you are finished spraying you can cut the plastic down each corner... roll the walls up to the ceiling... then when you want to spray again you can pin the corners together with clothes pins or something. I have some little clamps I bought at the tool store for 23 cents apiece. I didn't leave any slack and it's hard to clamp the corners. The plastic gets dirty after awhile so when I replace my plastic I'll leave me slack in the corners.
Dave
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2007, 09:12 PM

Last photo:

Dave that is a great tip and now that it is in writing I will be reminded of it when I research things on this thread
Old 03-14-2007, 10:31 PM
DaveNTN

Last photo:

I have to say it really works great. I have been spraying primer and base coat and clear for about 4 weeks off and on. When I get ready to spray I let the plastic down, clamp the corners... wet the floor down and turn on my exhaust fan. It pulls just enough to keep the fumes out without creating a breeze. I have all my tool cabnets and air compressor as well as two Harleys sitting in the garage and not the first bit of overspray on anything. The floor ended up with some when the water dried up and left a film on it. When I'm done I roll the plastic up to the rope which is about 2 inches down from the ceiling and I tie it up with those elastic loops with the ball on one end. Makes it quick and easy.

I've gotta run up to KY this weekend so no work on the truck. Someone broke into my old trailer at my fishcamp and stole everything I had. Gotta go fix the trailer so someone else can have a bit of a challenge breaking into it again.

Dave
Old 03-14-2007, 11:22 PM

Last photo:

Gator
I plan to keep the firewall smooth. Thinking of putting my brake booster under the dash if I can figure out an easy way to fill the reservoir. If not I'll mount it on the frame with a remote fill. Good luck in San Diego with your daughters game.
Dave
Have you got any pics of your booth. I want to try and at least primer my truck in my garage. Already have an HVLP gun.
Thanks
Kim
Old 03-14-2007, 11:47 PM
1955 2nd series Chevy Pick Up

Last journal entry: Body work and U bolts
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaggard
I've gotta run up to KY this weekend so no work on the truck. Someone broke into my old trailer at my fishcamp and stole everything I had. Gotta go fix the trailer so someone else can have a bit of a challenge breaking into it again.

Dave
Sounds like you need some IID's (Improvised Injury Devices) Like the ones I have at my shop....makes it look like they were stupid and hurt themselves...so the law doesn't come down on you. I may not have learned a trade in the Marines...but I can survive. "And a country boy can survive"....sing it Hank!
Old 03-15-2007, 06:17 AM
DaveNTN

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim57
Gator
I plan to keep the firewall smooth. Thinking of putting my brake booster under the dash if I can figure out an easy way to fill the reservoir. If not I'll mount it on the frame with a remote fill. Good luck in San Diego with your daughters game.
Dave
Have you got any pics of your booth. I want to try and at least primer my truck in my garage. Already have an HVLP gun.
Thanks
Kim
Have some pics and instructions on page 25 post 374 and in my journal. If you need any more info or pics let me know.

Yep.... country boy can survive. They didn't take anything that I can't replace and I figure what goes around comes around.
Dave
Old 03-16-2007, 10:40 AM

Last photo:

Hey Guys the parking brake works great.It holds the truck in place.Even in gear it stays put.I installed the new turn signal switch and installed the pop up tie downs I got for Christmas It is going to be in the high 70's today so I can finally wash and wax this thing without wearing a parka
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0239 (600 x 450).jpg
Views:	112
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	19515  
Old 03-19-2007, 11:47 AM

Last photo:

Well I got it washed.Here is a better look at the pop up tie downs.Not being able to tie down rolls of carpet pad has been a real problem.Problem solved I like the clean look of the black chrome tie downs and they go well with the bed cover too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0253 (600 x 450).jpg
Views:	102
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	19620   Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0254 (600 x 450).jpg
Views:	93
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	19621  
Old 03-19-2007, 12:25 PM

Last photo:

That looks really clean DD..good job. Thanks for the info on the parking brake also. As I get to that part I will put it in my journal so you can see what you inspired!
Old 03-19-2007, 12:43 PM

Last photo:

Hole in my frame

So you know I tore my truck apart and I am painting the frame. So I see on one of the rear cross members where the upper shock mount is for the passenger side that there is some "extra" steel bars and bolts for the shock mount. The other side is riveted on so I think something is up. Well there is... a hole...a big hole.

http://hotrodders.com/gallery/showph.../cat/500/page/

Here is the hole cleaned up. You can see the cracks in the metal.
http://hotrodders.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/27537

So I grab the torch and cut out all the bad part plus the cracks. Here is the "new" hole. I am making a patch for this and will post some pics as I weld it in.

http://hotrodders.com/gallery/showph.../cat/500/page/

I also updated my journal so you can blow these pics to see the cracks. Oh yea I also removed my exhaust too...sure make it nicer working on the frame.

Last edited by gator412; 03-19-2007 at 07:48 PM.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:50 PM

Last journal entry: Por 15
Last photo:

Id like to clarify something:

is this body style only in 1955-57?

I know this thread addresses till 59 but i like the single head light with the big open mouth grill.

what model truck is that? is their only one model in those years? Im trying to find one but they are either expensive or not the body style i am looking for
Old 03-19-2007, 10:28 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot Racing
Id like to clarify something:

is this body style only in 1955-57?

I know this thread addresses till 59 but i like the single head light with the big open mouth grill.

what model truck is that? is their only one model in those years? Im trying to find one but they are either expensive or not the body style i am looking for
I would say it is a 1955 2nd series or a 1956 based on...

1955 2nd series had single headlights in front fenders. Fender side emblem is one piece and mounted below horizontal line on fender. (There were 2 models that came out in 1955 the 1st series (or 1st model ) looked like the 1954 model. The 2nd series had the new look to it, also called the "Task Force".

1956 is very similar to 1955 truck. Fender emblems are two piece and mounted above horizontal line on fender. Emblem on front of hood is longer on bottom than top. Front hood emblem has a cast in V if a V-8 truck.

1957 was similar to previous years but with the following changes. Fender emblems are now one piece mounted above horizontal line on fender. Front hood emblem is same as 1956 but paint scheme is reversed. Hood has two raised humps on top running front to back. The grille also changed from the 55-56 look.

Keep looking they are still out there. I have my eye on two of them right now and am waiting till I am done with my 55 2nd to buy another to hotrod.

Hope this helps,
James
Old 03-19-2007, 10:37 PM
BigMike

Last photo:

These trucks are not cheep anymore. my dad bought the truck i have now 14 years ago for 700. he sold it to me for 1500, i know he should have sold it to me for 700 but i was willing to pay his price. 1500 got me a very solid truck, needed no severe frame work, mild sheet metal work, and alot of tlc!! you can find deals like that all the time. just keep your eyes out. im sure you will find what your looking for!

Mike

EDIT: i beleive chevy had a 3100, 3200, and 3600 for those years. i cant tell you exactly what it is but maybe james could look it up in his manual and tell you the difference.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:46 PM

Last photo:

frame hole welded up

I finished repairing the hole in the frame. There are more pics in my journal but here is the completed repair
http://hotrodders.com/journal_photos...1743656752.jpg
Old 03-19-2007, 10:56 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streamline55
These trucks are not cheep anymore. my dad bought the truck i have now 14 years ago for 700. he sold it to me for 1500, i know he should have sold it to me for 700 but i was willing to pay his price. 1500 got me a very solid truck, needed no severe frame work, mild sheet metal work, and alot of tlc!! you can find deals like that all the time. just keep your eyes out. im sure you will find what your looking for!

Mike

EDIT: i beleive chevy had a 3100, 3200, and 3600 for those years. i cant tell you exactly what it is but maybe james could look it up in his manual and tell you the difference.
3100 & 3200 were 1/2 ton, 3200 was a long wheel base,3400 , 3500, 3700 were 3/4 ton forward control, 3600 was 3/4 ton

The one you have a pic of riot is a 3100 model. I see that you are in the LA area south of me. Look in the craigs list in the Santa Barbara county and San Luis Obispo county. There have been a few listed in there for a couple grand. I know two of them sold last month for $2000 for both. I think there is one in Morro bay for about $1800.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.