55 to 59 chevy truck owners - Page 4 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2006, 08:50 PM
DaveNTN

Last journal entry: The Dash is ready!
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I meant to say that I haven't gotten to drive it much yet except around the block a couple of times. Waiting on an alternator bracket and decided since I had a small leak in the radiator I'd replace it and take the fan off the motor and install an electric unit. Can't wait to get it together and see what she will do. I know she sounds good, and looks good, just don't know how quick she actually is.
Dave

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2006, 11:49 PM

Last photo:

Sounds like a great truck Dave. Good luck with the front end drop.
Kim
Old 10-10-2006, 08:42 AM
1955 2nd series Chevy Pick Up

Last journal entry: Body work and U bolts
Last photo:

Cool sounding truck Dave. Post some pics of it when you can!
Old 10-10-2006, 12:26 PM
DaveNTN

Last photo:

Here are a couple of pics.
Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	15467   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	445
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	15468   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	15469  
Old 10-10-2006, 01:58 PM

Last photo:

Very nice!
Old 10-10-2006, 02:08 PM
DaveNTN

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim57
Very nice!
Thanks Kim. I've been checking out your project. Gonna be nice. My truck is sitting too level. I think I'd rather have it up in the front to look more like a gasser or lay the front down. I've been playing with my photo program and looking at what it would look like lowered. I've got a winters worth of projects for it. Hope to have it done for some of the rod runs here in the area this Spring. I've got a 53 that I drive everyday, little 230 six banger with a three speed. Great little truck. I also picked up a 64 4 door impala hardtop a few months ago. Nothing like a driveway full of old stuff.
Dave
Old 10-10-2006, 04:56 PM

Last photo:

That is a sweet looking truck Dave.What did you have to pay for it?I can see why you just had to have it. I will be looking forward to seeing pictures of the engine bay and chassis mods.Do you know what rearend is under it?What are your winter projects you have planed?I plan to do the windows in the green glass and replace the window regulators and all the seals in the doors and do modern tie rod ends and power steering this winter to my 58
Old 10-10-2006, 06:16 PM
DaveNTN

Last photo:

Right now I'm putting in a new radiator and flex fan cooling system. The motor has only an hour breakin time on it so I'm looking forward to putting a few miles on it. I worked a deal with the guy I bought it from and had the new engine put in it before I picked it up. I ended up with 13,000 in it. The motor swap with all the new components was about 4 grand of that. The body is an 8 out of ten with minor stuff that I can fix. The interior is plain jane but clean and there is a lot I can do with it. That is what I'm the best at, the body and the interior. Wish I had more drive train knowledge but I'm working on it.

Winter projects look like dropping the front end, putting on disc power brakes and a new floor in the bed. Some fix it stuff on the body and cleaning up inside door jams and hood jams... etc. I have a 53 that I would like to drop a souped up 6 banger in. I have the block just not sure what I'm going to do with it yet. O yea.... the 64 Impala has a rusted body mount I'm going to need to fix. I'm not sure one winter is going to be enough.
Dave
Old 10-11-2006, 09:08 AM

Last photo:

Wow Dave that is a very nice looking truck. Those big ole tubs in the bed mean some major meat under them!
Old 10-11-2006, 01:12 PM
DaveNTN

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gator412
Wow Dave that is a very nice looking truck. Those big ole tubs in the bed mean some major meat under them!
31 X 16 Micky's. Hope the engine will turn them over.
Old 10-11-2006, 05:52 PM

Last journal entry: 57 pickup 8.8 rear axle install
Last photo:

57 project

Hey Everyone,
I'm resto-modding a 57 short box. It's all apart now in the process x 2yrs. so far. The chassis is pretty well completed. I put a Volare IFS front clip in. It pretty well fit my budget ($200). I'm trying to do everything on the cheap. I believe in using auto wrecker parts as much as possible. I'm old school that way. Let those folks with money buy the expensive kits. I've rigged up power brakes, underbody, using the original pedal linkage, Fox body 5.0 booster and corvette master cylinder. The entire rear suspension, springs, brackets and all, is out of a 98 Ranger 4x4, including the sway bar. The 350/ 700 R 4 engine/transmission are wrecker scores. I converted the back window to a big window. I'm having to get help with the body work part so that's a bit frustrating. You can bet I'll post pictures when it's finally done.
Old 10-12-2006, 09:56 AM

Last photo:

Murrsue...don't wait to post some completed pics...we love to see in progress pics! It sounds like a cool project. How well did the Ranger rear suspension fit? I need to redo mine so I have been looking for ideas.
Old 10-12-2006, 05:17 PM

Last photo:

pictures,pictures,pictures we all love to see those pictures.Sharing ideas ia what this thread is about.
Old 10-12-2006, 07:32 PM
DaveNTN

Last photo:

I'm with Gator, I'd like to see some work in progress pics. Man.... changing out a small window for a big window is a major chore. I do body work and that's a biggee in my book. I got my radiator in today and waiting on a couple of hoses and an alternator bracket in the mail. They came with the truck so I'm patiently waiting for them to get here. I have had the truck going on 3 weeks and got 10 minutes drive time in it. I need to get with you on that lockout front brake dick. I think this thing will tear up some rubber but not out of the hole. Think I'm gonna need some restraint to light em up.
Dave
Old 10-12-2006, 11:14 PM

Last journal entry: 57 pickup 8.8 rear axle install
Last photo:

8.8 install

The 8.8 install wasn't too bad. (98 Ranger 4x4, 3:73 gears). I removed frame brackets and all from the donor and pulled it off the donor in one piece, rearend, springs and all. The Ranger had the axle located under the springs with some big spacers installed for height. I removed the spacers, and relocated the perches to the opposite side so the axle now sits above the springs. I just tacked the perches until I was able to adjust pinion angle fairly close. It may need some pinion shims after the body's on to tweek the pinion angle.

I've got lots of digital pictures so I'll try to post some soon. Will have to get my kid to assist with posting the pictures, she says I have to "host " them somewhere first?

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.