55 to 59 chevy truck owners - Page 40 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2007, 11:01 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Gator

Nice job on the repair of your shock mount.
Kim

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2007, 11:08 PM

Last journal entry: Por 15
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gator412
3100 & 3200 were 1/2 ton, 3200 was a long wheel base,3400 , 3500, 3700 were 3/4 ton forward control, 3600 was 3/4 ton

The one you have a pic of riot is a 3100 model. I see that you are in the LA area south of me. Look in the craigs list in the Santa Barbara county and San Luis Obispo county. There have been a few listed in there for a couple grand. I know two of them sold last month for $2000 for both. I think there is one in Morro bay for about $1800.
thanks for the advice. I never thought of looking up that way. On craigslist i usually just search los angeles.
I am trying to find one close to me just to sit in. I may have to wait till the weather warms up and go to the local cruise nights just to do so, even then there are no guarantees that one of these models will show
Old 03-19-2007, 11:10 PM
1955 2nd series Chevy Pick Up

Last journal entry: Body work and U bolts
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim57
Gator

Nice job on the repair of your shock mount.
Kim
Thanks Kim

Riot here is a link to a craigs listing for a couple trucks
http://slo.craigslist.org/car/282276206.html

http://slo.craigslist.org/car/283637060.html

Any way there are a few still out there.
Hope this helps,
James
Old 03-20-2007, 07:20 AM
DaveNTN

Last journal entry: The Dash is ready!
Last photo:

Quote:
I finished repairing the hole in the frame. There are more pics in my journal but here is the completed repair
http://hotrodders.com/journal_photos...1743656752.jpg
Looks good Gator.
Dave
Old 03-20-2007, 09:22 AM

Last photo:

Riot
You should try to make it out to the Pomona swap meet. Their are usually some trucks out there.
Kim
Old 03-20-2007, 01:06 PM

Last photo:

Thanks Dave

Dave I will be pulling my front end off soon to clean and paint it. Do you have any advice? Also I have to go back thru this thread and look at DD's brackets for his sway bar. I am going to make a set for my truck.

I will be taking mine off soon and am wondering how hard it will be?
Old 03-20-2007, 02:10 PM
DaveNTN

Last photo:

Quote:
Thanks Dave

Dave I will be pulling my front end off soon to clean and paint it. Do you have any advice? Also I have to go back thru this thread and look at DD's brackets for his sway bar. I am going to make a set for my truck.

I will be taking mine off soon and am wondering how hard it will be?
What will you be painting, the frame or the body? I take it you are working on the frame so that would be logical to be painting it first. Honestly, if you can sand blast any of the pieces, that's the way to go. If you can sandblast some or all of the frame... that's the way to go. If not... you need to sand down the frame. Once you have it sanded wipe it down with a good cleaning solvent and use an epoxy primer sealer. If you use the sealer the same day you are going to paint it... which is what I would recommend.. you won't have to sand the primer sealer. The epoxy bonds better to the bare metal than the paint, and the paint will bond better to the epoxy better than to bare metal. It's really according to how much you want to get into. You can also buy 10 cans of rustoleum and go to town. I epoxied my frame and then use a black urethane on top of that and I'm really pleased with it.
Hope I helped. There is no easier or better way in my opinion to prep a frame and frame related parts than with a sandblaster. Even a small one a little at a time.
Dave
Old 03-20-2007, 03:32 PM

Last photo:

Nice repair Gator Gator those front sway bar brackets are made of 1/2 plate steel and you will have to have longer u-bolts to put them on.My local NAPA store set me up with a couple.I took in my old one,they measured it and ordered me 2 new ones that were longer.Use a piece of cardboard to make one that works for your bar first then transfer it to steel.You know you have it right when you can turn it over and use it on the other side too.
Old 03-20-2007, 04:40 PM

Last photo:

Dave -Thanks for the info on the paint. Really what I was wondering about was the actual removal of the front axle and how difficult it was. I am using what I have for paint...granted most might shake their head but I am using a rustoleum primer and enamel. My funds are limited and so I "use what I got". Plus this is going to be my daily driver as my daughters are going to get the other vehicles soon.

DD - thanks for the tip on using the cardboard. I have a NAPA here that is really helpful so I will be going to them for the longer u-bolts. There is a shop here in my building that has a plasma cutter and If I give him a auto-cad drawing he can burn it out. I just need to see what he wants to charge. If it is too much I will use the torch and the grinder...or the saber saw. By the way DD you could have told me what page the pics of the brackets are on.....this thread is so long now. lol. I could look in your journal...oh yea...you haven't started one yet.........
Old 03-20-2007, 04:58 PM
DaveNTN

Last photo:

Gator,
Nothin wrong with that. One of the reasons I spent the time and money on the epoxy and urethane is I wanted to work with it before I painted the dash and body panels. the rustoleum works great. As a matter of fact I used it on a number of the smaller pieces instead of mixing up a new batch of paint. They make a really good etching primer. You can pick up a small sandblaster for about 20 bucks and the parts look great. The front end was no problem coming apart at all. I had to heat up the threaded bushings in the frame to get them out but other than that, it is very simple. Goes back together fast and simple too. I replaced my entire front end. Check out the green etching primer in a can.

O. one more thing. If you take your time with the can paint, you can put a sweet finish on anything. The paint is going to be extremely thin so use less paint... more coats. Make sure and shake the can a good 3 minutes before you use it. Don't try to get it all covered with a couple of coats. Use more like 5 or 6 thinner coats. Just enough to wet it out. It will turn out great.

Dave
Old 03-20-2007, 06:04 PM

Last photo:

Gator page 2 post 25
Old 03-20-2007, 06:52 PM

Last photo:

hey doubledick, gator and the rest of u that may be interested.
I had started a thread a while ago on which car to buy?
instead of starting a new thread i was thinking i would post some fothe trucks i come across on there to see what you think? basically i just want to know by looking at the pictures if the truck is worth what the seller is asking.

if your interested in helping me find one heres the link: Should i buy this car?

gator, I searched craigslist and didn't even find one chevy. I wonder if there was something wrong in the way i searched/
Old 03-20-2007, 07:52 PM

Last photo:

Riot did you look under the auto section there are so many to choose from it can get confusing. Also did you search in the Santa Barbara and San Luis Obispo counties?

DD....DD's afraid of a journal, DD's afraid of a journal....nay, nay, nay nay nay.....lol

Dave, I have a small power coating set up I haven't used yet, but was going to on the smaller parts. I just got a used electric oven to do the "cooking" in. I do have a small bench sand blaster and a small gravity sand blaster.
As far as the primer and paint on the frame I went old school and brushed it on. I know its thick and who cares about the brush marks, your gonna have to brush the dirt away to see them later!
Old 03-21-2007, 03:56 PM

Last photo:

DD....DD's afraid of a journal, DD's afraid of a journal....nay, nay, nay nay nay.....lol

I am so busted
Old 03-21-2007, 06:43 PM

Last photo:

Hey 55-59 truck owners I have some questions
Doubledick and i had a short chat about some general questions about these cars that i would like to ask here.

At 6foot 6 inches tall, with a gas tank relocation, tilt steering wheel, a smaller dia. steering wheel and bucket seats what are my chances on being comfortable?

I am trying to see how much it cost to lower these trucks. what are my options and some price estimates. I honestly would prefer the more streetable option since this is going to be a daily driver.

I am not going to haul heavy things or put heavy items in the truck bed so i dont really need the leaf springs, but im sure a conversion would be expensive.

Who's journals have an installation guide for suspension upgrades to lower the truck. I'd like to get the truck to only be about 6-8 inches off the ground if reasonable, lower is better!!!

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.