55 to 59 chevy truck owners - Page 41 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2007, 07:07 PM
DaveNTN

Last journal entry: The Dash is ready!
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I would think with the gas tank removed, some comfortable seats that fit, tilt steering, and maybe modify the brake pedal... you should fit in a 55-59 comfortably. The suspension thing is a loaded question. There are many ways you can go there and you can spend whatever you want. I would guess your looking at a minimum of 1500 to 2000 to lower your truck properly and keep or upgrade your ride. Just from my experience. I'm sure there are others that can give you more info. Try the search option in the bulletin board and you'll probably find what your looking for. I just dropped mine about 4 or 5 inches from stock with a drop axle and lowering springs. If you go more than that you need to look at the IFS front suspension. Put bags on that and you can park it and lay it on the ground, but.. you won't be doing it for 1500 bucks.

DD aint got no time for no stinkin journal......

Dave

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2007, 09:32 PM

Last journal entry: Por 15
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaggard
I would think with the gas tank removed, some comfortable seats that fit, tilt steering, and maybe modify the brake pedal... you should fit in a 55-59 comfortably. The suspension thing is a loaded question. There are many ways you can go there and you can spend whatever you want. I would guess your looking at a minimum of 1500 to 2000 to lower your truck properly and keep or upgrade your ride. Just from my experience. I'm sure there are others that can give you more info. Try the search option in the bulletin board and you'll probably find what your looking for. I just dropped mine about 4 or 5 inches from stock with a drop axle and lowering springs. If you go more than that you need to look at the IFS front suspension. Put bags on that and you can park it and lay it on the ground, but.. you won't be doing it for 1500 bucks.

DD aint got no time for no stinkin journal......

Dave
i searched the board and didnt find the exact info i needed. Do you know any sites or people on this board i could search through their journals?

When you say $1500-$2000 to lower the truck, how much more could an air bag setup or an extremely low setup cost?

Would it matter if i could fab and install the items myself?
if i end up purchasing the truck i was going to make a 3 model of the chassis and based on some pictures and info., engineer the parts to get the truck low how i want it.
I'm trying to use some of the mechanical engineering training i have to use.
Old 03-21-2007, 09:48 PM
DaveNTN

Last journal entry: The Dash is ready!
Last photo:

Sounds like you need to decide what suspension you want to go with and do some pricing. CPP has everything you need to do what you want to do. The end price of a project like your talking about is going to be determined by the parts you buy... who installs them... etc. etc. I don't think anyone is going to be able to tell you an exact dollar amount to accomplish what you are wanting to do. Your probably going to have to decide what you want to do and price it out yourself. Check out http://www.classicperform.com/ . You'll find everything your looking for and then some. You may want to price the parts you'll need with another company or two. It's a place to start. One thing I've always found to run true... no matter what you estimate a project is going to cost.... it'll end up costing more.

Dave

Last edited by dmaggard; 03-22-2007 at 06:28 AM.
Old 03-21-2007, 11:23 PM
1955 2nd series Chevy Pick Up

Last journal entry: Body work and U bolts
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaggard
One thing I've always found to run true... no matter what you estimate a project is going to cost.... it'l end up costing more. Dave
Truer words never spoken......except maybe by DD
Old 03-22-2007, 03:12 PM

Last journal entry: camaro clip con't 56 chevy truck

in my journal i go on a little bit on my camaro front end conversion. i should go back and go into further detail but you might get an idea
Old 03-22-2007, 05:13 PM
BigMike

Last photo:

Riot, i have just installed a mustang 2 suspension in my truck. its not fully finished yet but here is what i have into it so far. $327 for the crossmember, $248 for the narrowed tubular controle arms, $376 for the 11" brakes and 2" drop spindles, $50 for the steel to box in the frame(total of $1001). there is going to be more money spent for power rack and air bags. now.... with air ride you will have to spend about 800-1600 for the air ride system but you have full contole over how high you truck sits. with the air ride on the mustang 2 ifs you have somewhere around 11-13 inches of lift. if you have any questions for me or need some pictures you can email me at Scrap1661@comcast.net
Old 03-23-2007, 02:18 PM

Last photo:

So frame is now 95% painted a pic of it is in my journal. I also finished replacing all the shackles and pins for the leaf springs.

I am going to replace my gas tank out of the cab. I would like to reuse the tank if possible. I took some pics of the possible locations I could mount it. The first four pics are on the passengers side under the cab. The last three pics are on the drivers side under the bed. The pics just show the space not the actual way the tank would be mounted. My concerns are mounting the tank under the cab....kaboom and the other is how close to a drive shaft can I go.

http://hotrodders.com/gallery/data/5...y_of_GT_2b.JPG

So tell me your thoughts. Now I will probably go with big and little tires so I won't carry a spare under the truck. (But Would like too.) So I could mount a tank under the frame, but I want to be able to fill the tank for the side or rear, not thru the bed.

edit...ok got the pics to work

Last edited by gator412; 03-24-2007 at 12:03 PM.
Old 03-24-2007, 01:03 AM

Last photo:

Hey I finally get to go for a cruise in my 58.I am in Vegas for the annual C.A.R.s. valley of Fire cruise and BBQ.I will post a picture when I get back home.
Old 03-24-2007, 08:58 AM

Last photo:

Hey

I Have A 55 2nd Ser 3100 Big Back Truck Tore Down Right Now Trying To Figure Out The Best Way (cheapest Also) To Put Power Brakes In The Stock Location.
Old 03-24-2007, 09:24 AM

Last photo:

Hi JFK55
Welcome to the site.
You can check these vendors out. I,m sure their are others that offer similar kits. Good luck with your truck. Post some pics when you get a chance.
http://tuckersparts.com/catalog.html?Tp=2&Vl=48&Pos=15
http://brothersonlinestore.com/products.asp?dept=406
Kim
Old 03-24-2007, 12:07 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFK55BOY
I Have A 55 2nd Ser 3100 Big Back Truck Tore Down Right Now Trying To Figure Out The Best Way (cheapest Also) To Put Power Brakes In The Stock Location.
Welcome JFK

I have the same year and model truck as you but mine is a long bed with the small window...so maybe it's not the same..lol. Any way I installed PS, PS, and disk up front. You can look thru my journal and see. I bought my PB and disk setup from CPP.

Welcome again and be sure and post some pics...cause we like pics!

Edit here is a pic of the PB set up I have

Old 03-25-2007, 01:32 AM

Last photo:

I used the power disk conversion from Brothers Trucks.The booster is not as big around as the one from ccp.When I get back home on Tuesdays I will post a picture for you.There is a picture on page 33 post #491 that shows the booster but I don't know if it is good enough for you to tell what size it is.
Old 03-25-2007, 08:25 AM

Last journal entry: projest '56 fatfender
Last photo:

re: 55 to 59 chevy truck owners

Thanks DD for sending me to this site. I have spent the past 2 hours reading from page 1 and have already learned alot this morning. Yesterday I was so fed up trying to pull the axles from my 12 bolt posi that I almost ran my '57 on Craigslist, but today I have new hope. All my books were talking about "C" clips holding the axles in place, seems mine has the "pressed on" type bearings, so all I need to do is rent an axle puller. I will post pics as soon as I figure out how, I'm not all that PC literate and all my kids are grown and gone so I cant get any help from them. I am going with the camaro subframe, 350 c.i. , B/W T-5 trans and the 3:23, 12 bolt posi combo. I have already patch paneled one lower cab corner, inner and outer but by no means am a bodyman, just learning as I go.
Old 03-25-2007, 10:20 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinv55
Thanks DD for sending me to this site. I have spent the past 2 hours reading from page 1 and have already learned alot this morning. Yesterday I was so fed up trying to pull the axles from my 12 bolt posi that I almost ran my '57 on Craigslist, but today I have new hope. All my books were talking about "C" clips holding the axles in place, seems mine has the "pressed on" type bearings, so all I need to do is rent an axle puller. I will post pics as soon as I figure out how, I'm not all that PC literate and all my kids are grown and gone so I cant get any help from them. I am going with the camaro subframe, 350 c.i. , B/W T-5 trans and the 3:23, 12 bolt posi combo. I have already patch paneled one lower cab corner, inner and outer but by no means am a bodyman, just learning as I go.
Hey look everyone....flyinv55 is one of us!.....cool We like the learn as you go method on cars and computers.

Welcome,
James
Old 03-25-2007, 10:35 AM

Last photo:

Any one have thoughts on post 607...the possible gas tank locations? Good and bad. The location under the cab would allow the tank to be seen from the side of the truck. The location under the bed would put it close to the drive shaft. So I am not sure if either of these locations would work. Now the other thought is I want to run big and littles so I really wouldn't be able to carry a spare tire..due to which one would I carry, the big one or the little one? When the time comes for a road trip I would just toss a spare in the bed I guess.

Anyway let me now what you think..or if you know of a used tank that will fit let me know also please.
Thanks,
James

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.