55 to 59 chevy truck owners - Page 47 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2007, 09:54 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Matt the stock gear ratio is 3.90.With low profile tires it will be pretty quick.I like to run 31x10.5 tires on my 58 so I put 4.56 gears in my rearend and a power trax locker.With the 3.90 gears and 31x10.5 tires I ran 16.02 at the drag strip in Wendover.I could not get it to hook up at all I kept spinning the right rear tire.I haven't run it down the track since I put the traction bars and the 4.56 gears but I can beat my buddies 66 Nova with a 350/350 with 3.73 gears and 28 inch tall Mickey Thompson tires.He was not happy about that I did it 7 times in a row.Now he has to put more money into the motor because he just cant stand to get beat Gator on the sway bar mount I don't know if I told you or not that the hole the sway bar bolt goes in is counter sunk with a 5/8 drill bit on both sides for the lip of the rubber bushing to keep it centered in the hole.

Last edited by DOUBLEDICK; 04-28-2007 at 10:33 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2007, 12:51 PM

Last journal entry: camaro clip con't 56 chevy truck

so i have had my camaro front clip on for a while and i have a set of mint 6 lug original steel wheels sitting there unused. And the thing is I want to buy some just like it but in 5 lug. I wonder now if anyone has a way of converting the 5 lug on the 78 camaro clip to 6 lug so i can restore and use the original wheels..
Old 04-30-2007, 03:16 PM
DaveNTN

Last journal entry: The Dash is ready!
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creepy
1. I want to lower the front. I have been looking at the brothers mono leaf springs. They say it will lower the front by 4 inches. I really don't have the money to waste if this is a bad move.
Creepy.... I'd forget the mono spring thing. Either put a drop front axle in or have springs made up with however much drop you want. I found a great company that builds stock springs to the specs you want.

http://www.eatonsprings.com/index.html

These guys did a great job on mine. They are full springs but built with the drop you want.

Man... a few weeks away from this place and there is some serious reading to do. I haven't had a chance to work on the 59 in over 4 weeks. I sure enjoyed my relationship with the garage this winter. Really miss it. Did buy another truck this weekend. It's an 87 GMC 4 wheel drive to work out of. Catch up with you guys later.... maybe... you may be too far ahead.
Dave

Last edited by dmaggard; 05-01-2007 at 01:24 PM.
Old 05-01-2007, 01:12 PM

Clip Truck

Has anyone clipped there truck with a 78 chevy truck or suburban? Do you have any pictures? I would appreciate coments or ideas. I've been told that it drops the front some but not as much as a camaro or monte.
Old 05-02-2007, 12:38 AM

Last journal entry: camaro clip con't 56 chevy truck

you dont have to but the two frames up at the same level you can always Z it in to get a little more drop. Thats what i did with my camaro front clip.
Old 05-04-2007, 09:37 AM
1955 2nd series Chevy Pick Up

Last journal entry: Body work and U bolts
Last photo:

Well I received my tranny crossmember from Harmons today. (I mistakenly said earlier I ordered from LMC) In the box they put their catalog. So I look up the price of the cross member I just bought..it was listed at $46...whats up I just paid $52 for it. So I call them up and ask what is up. They said I ordered off the internet which has updated prices, which the catalog doesn't. He said they print a catalog once a year and prices change, sometimes even as the catalog is being printed. I understand that but dang if you are not going to honor the prices in the catalog say so in the catalog. What would have happened if I went to order from catalog? Would they have honored it? I have dealt with this problem with another vendor and they said no problem we will give you the lower price. So needless to say I am not happy with Harmons. Customer service is out the door these days.....so sad. I know with the service I provide to my customers the price I said is the price you get...last year I made a $10,000 mistake....but I honored that price...guess who is still my customer...and this last Christmas they sent ME a bonus......amazing
Old 05-04-2007, 11:10 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gator412
Well I received my tranny crossmember from Harmons today. (I mistakenly said earlier I ordered from LMC) In the box they put their catalog. So I look up the price of the cross member I just bought..it was listed at $46...whats up I just paid $52 for it. So I call them up and ask what is up. They said I ordered off the internet which has updated prices, which the catalog doesn't. He said they print a catalog once a year and prices change, sometimes even as the catalog is being printed. I understand that but dang if you are not going to honor the prices in the catalog say so in the catalog. What would have happened if I went to order from catalog? Would they have honored it? I have dealt with this problem with another vendor and they said no problem we will give you the lower price. So needless to say I am not happy with Harmons. Customer service is out the door these days.....so sad. I know with the service I provide to my customers the price I said is the price you get...last year I made a $10,000 mistake....but I honored that price...guess who is still my customer...and this last Christmas they sent ME a bonus......amazing

I see your point, but it's only 6 bux...
Did they offer you any discounts on future orders?
Old 05-04-2007, 01:07 PM

Last photo:

No...no offer and yes it was only $6 but the point is customer service. Here is a new customer and he has a grip the first order. I have spend thousands on my truck and need to spend a few more....dang just say how about a hat or t shirt....that goes a long way.
Old 05-04-2007, 10:05 PM
BigMike

Last photo:

I hear ya there Gator... i am about to order about $3000 worth of parts within then next few weeks. the guy im dealing with right now said he is going to "hook me up". but we will see how much that is going to cost me. my air ride suspension will be ordered within the next week! after that is installed i would be able to have the suspension work all done! i have been lookin at ebay for parts and if anyone is looking to a fuel cell... summit racing is selling some. the one that i am going to order is going to be a 16 gallon plastic cell with sending unit for like $170. i have a long list of stuff in need to get.

Mike
Old 05-05-2007, 03:38 PM

Last photo:

Sounds like you might have a good lead there Mike...just check prices. I was just looking at a set of hooker headers on ebay and compared them to summit and summit was $1.90 more expensive with shipping. I think I will go with summit so I know who I am dealing with. When I do ebay stuff I set my mind that it could be crap that I am buying (good luck so far). But if the prices are close I go with the known seller like summit.

Anyway keep up informed on the parts you get so we can share the fun too...
Later
James
Old 05-06-2007, 10:45 AM

Last photo:

Hey guys how is everyone.I haven't posted much lately because I have been busy doing work on some of the trucks owned by older guys around here that cant do it for them selfs any more.I will be putting a new trans in a 86 dodge today.I pulled it out last weekend and we got the new trans for it yesterday.No local builders in the area slows things down a bit.Next weekend I will be doing a clutch in a 87 f-250 4x4 for my 87 year old neighbor.He still rides 4 wheelers and gets around pretty well.He is on a fixed income so I will probably need to help out in the parts department as well on that one.I finally got the money together so I can get the green glass,the window regulators and all the new seals for them ordered from classic industries(formally Chevy Duty)on Monday.I will post some pictures of that project as I do it
Old 05-06-2007, 06:53 PM

Last photo:

DD! we were wondering about you, thought you were wandering around in the high desert! Thats really cool you helping your neighbor like that...we need more people like you around! Chevy Duty is one of my main parts supplier, Keep us informed of the progress you are making.

I have been busy with work and when not doing that I have been making volleyball training equipment for my daughter so she can get better. Its fun making the stuff and I am amazed at the prices to buy the stuff is.

Any way you need to get to work on that truck...and wake up maggard...he fell asleep (I think he was breathing the fumes from his freahly painted dash!)

Later,
Gator
Old 05-07-2007, 01:22 PM

Last photo:

Hey Guys
Its been a couple of weeks since I've posted. Finally got the frame for my tilt bed finished. Had to modify my brackets a little but everything seems to work the way I need it to.
Kim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tilt Frame #1.JPG
Views:	116
Size:	134.9 KB
ID:	21040   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tilt Frame #2.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	150.6 KB
ID:	21041   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tilt Frame #3.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	153.4 KB
ID:	21042   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tilt Frame #4.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	163.8 KB
ID:	21043  
Old 05-07-2007, 04:07 PM

Last photo:

Looks great Kim Will there be any problem with the fenders hitting the tires when the bed is tilted?

Man, wish I could fab like that.....
Old 05-07-2007, 08:09 PM

Last photo:

Thanks Gator.
The tires should clear just fine. I was worried about the front lower sections of the bed hitting the cab but I made a wooden dummy and everything clears just fine. The fab takes me a little while but as long as I don't rush I can get things how I want them. My welds aren't the best looking so I grind them all smooth.
Kim

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.