55 to 59 chevy truck owners - Page 48 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2007, 04:58 PM
...these go to eleven

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Hey guys, thought I'd just update things. The supposedly rebuilt Muncie is in the truck and worked fine for a few days, and now the thing intermittently will not come out of 2nd gear. You have to really work the shifter around to get it back into neutral and on into 3rd. It will do this a couple times in a row, then the next time you take off it will go thru the gears perfectly. The guy said there was a 1 year warranty, but he will not answer the phone or return messages (so far). It is really frustrating, I'm sure you guys know the feeling. I'm in high school and don't have much money, and this transmission change has got me about broke, now it doesn't work right. At the moment I am considering saving up for some sort of built up auto trans to put in it. I like shifting myself, but from what I've heard/read, the right automatic will really move. I guess I can't make up my mind. We're going to see about having a local shop look at the Muncie on Friday, hopefully whatever the problem is can be fixed for not a lot of money.
-Matt

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2007, 06:10 PM

Last photo:

Hey , Matt
It sounds like a shifter problem to me. What did you use for a shifter ?
Play with the shifter adjustments , make sure the linkage rod are set right and alinged properly.
Gene
Old 05-11-2007, 09:29 PM
...these go to eleven

Last photo:

I used a Hurst Indy universal 4-speed shifter. I have reinstalled/readjusted the linkages two or three times now, with no effect. We're supposed to have a guy from a competent transmission shop come and drive the truck to see what he thinks tomorrow (saturday). He has rebuilt several Muncies, and he should be able to tell us what the problem is. At this point I think it was just a horrible mistake on our part to buy from the idiot that was selling them. I may be judging too early, but it seems like the seller probably knew exactly what he was doing, selling repainted junk to people, saying they're rebuilt with a B.S. "warranty", and then disappearing. We'll see what the guy says tomorrow, maybe it can be fixed soon enough for me to drive it to school some more before the year ends in a couple weeks.
-Matt
Old 05-12-2007, 12:23 PM

Last photo:

Matt bum deal on the transmission.I hope it all works out for you.Kim57 You sure do nice work.Gator I finally got my door glass an seals ordered.Everything is shipped and nothing on back order.Sometimes even I get lucky DMaggard hey Dave you still alive out there
Old 05-14-2007, 03:30 PM
1955 2nd series Chevy Pick Up

Last journal entry: Body work and U bolts
Last photo:

DD...its fun getting new stuff! I have been busy with work and just picked up some more...its that time of year so its a good thing. The truck keeps calling my name and I go out to the shop at lunch time and work on it a bit. I am almost done with the swaybar mounts. I just need to smooth them out a bit and then powdercoat them. I also need to go order some new longer u bolts for the new brackets. I am still cleaning the front axle so it is still all tore apart.

Matt...hopefully the shifter adjustment is the problem.

Kim...any more fab pics for us on that *****in bed you are making?

Daaaaaaaveeee...where are you? DD go wake him up..and no more beer for him when he works on the creeper?
Old 05-14-2007, 09:11 PM
...these go to eleven

Last photo:

My dad works near a pretty good trans shop in downtown Memphis (called High Gear, strictly manual transmissions and transfer cases), and one of the employees there was nice enough to stop by our house and take a look at the situation. He also recommended the shifter adjustments before he left, which I redid a few more times, which made differences but did not help the problem. So, we're going to take the trans out of the truck and have him look at the inside, and I guess if necessary he'll take it all apart and make it run right. I think he will give us a good price for his work.
-Matt
Old 05-14-2007, 10:57 PM

Last journal entry: camaro clip con't 56 chevy truck

anyone ever remove there dash? it looks like its spot welded in.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:39 AM

Last photo:

Redfox...here is a scan from the assembly manual showing the spot welds for the dash. The pic is in my photo album in case you need to enlarge it.

Later,
James

Old 05-15-2007, 01:23 PM

Last photo:

Red Fox It looks like that will be Quite the under taking to get the dash out.Post some pictures of the job as you go.I would sure like to know how hard that project is.Why are you taking the dash out?
Old 05-15-2007, 02:58 PM

Last photo:

Redfox
I hate to be the one to ask but someone has too.
Why you thinking of taking the dash out?
Gene
Old 05-15-2007, 03:03 PM

Last photo:

Hey Matt
Did you get the shifter for your Muncie new ? Was there installation instruction ?
Gene
Old 05-15-2007, 03:06 PM

Last photo:

OOPS
DD you already asked that ??????
I am wondering why also.
Gene
Old 05-16-2007, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57halfton
Redfox
I hate to be the one to ask but someone has too.
Why you thinking of taking the dash out?
Gene
well
#1 I am media blasting my truck inside and out so this allows me to get under and behind the dash easier

#2 i can weld in little tabs easier to mount adel clips for routing my new wiring

#3 someone hacked the crap out of the dash puting a stereo in it so i am shaving most of the dash which would be a little easier outside of the truck

but..... the work to drill all of those out and then rebuild the area that i drilled out doesnt seem to be worth it. so i may just leave it in there and deal with it and mig weld the tabs in instead of tig them since they are going to be way up inside the dash
Old 05-16-2007, 02:47 PM

Last photo:

I think you should remove it....I have a bunch of drill bits and drill motors and drill bit sharpeners to sell ya!

Ok I was kidding. I would do the best you can with the media blast then use a por-15 or whatever you like to "stop" the under dash rust. Unless you are doing a major custom job I would have to say it would not be worth it in my opinion. I plan on coating the underside of mine with por-15, shoot some rattle can etching primer and call it good....may not even do the primer.
Old 05-16-2007, 05:53 PM

drilling all of the spot welds would create swiss cheese that i would need to make look stock again.

I want to get every detail but thats more work then its worth.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.