55 to 59 chevy truck owners - Page 50 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2007, 06:04 PM
...these go to eleven

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks for the compliment James! Hope you get a good buy with the intake/carb. As soon as school is over in a couple days, I think I'll start redoing some of the body. It's been a year since my first attempt at bodywork. Some of it I'm proud of, but there are several small places you can see up close that need some more work. Back then I had no idea of the proper way to hammer dents out. I think I'm going to buy a new oil pan, the cheap chrome one on there now seems to be leaking a little at the back. While reinstalling the engine after the rebuild, as we put the engine in the bed of a different truck, I was stupid and let the engine hoist down a little too fast while we took it out. It wasn't much, but the pan got just a little distorted, and I'm thinking that might be causing this leak. Oil needs changed anyway.

Trans guy picked up the Muncie today, decided to take it with him. They shortened the hours at his shop, so he's glad to redo it for us and make some extra cash. He said it will only take a couple days.

If I can find them, I'll also post a couple old in-progress pics as I was first sanding the truck down, and one or two of some (novice) pinstriping I've done. Sorry this post is so long!
-Matt

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2007, 07:44 PM

Last photo:

pics of dads cameo

Here are some pics of the truck I will have to go take a shifter picture tommorow. I will look at the tranny and get info also to tell if it is original or not too. The shifter is so low you can't see it in these interior shots. Thanks for all your help. John
Attached Images

Old 05-23-2007, 07:56 AM

Last photo:

JFK55BOY Nice looking truck
Old 05-23-2007, 08:08 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gator412
Been looking for a used 4 bbl intake and carb for my truck. It has a 2bbl right now. I was looking for an older one to keep the 60's style going with the engine. I go up to San Luis Obispo tomorrow to pick it. For $100 buck I don't think I can go to wrong...or I hope so.

Later
Gators
Gator If your interested at www.classicsandrods.com in the forums in the garage sale section is a edelbrock TM-1 manifold.That is the same intake I run(TM-2) on my truck except it is for a small block.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0212 (845 x 634).jpg
Views:	79
Size:	154.2 KB
ID:	21371  
Old 05-23-2007, 01:16 PM
1955 2nd series Chevy Pick Up

Last journal entry: Body work and U bolts
Last photo:

Thanks DD...I bought the intake and carb for $80 last night. I had a 2bbl on it and want a 4 bbl. Seems the guy I bought it from wants to look at my 2bbl...he wants to run triple twos!...way cool!

Later
Old 05-23-2007, 06:17 PM

Last journal entry: camaro clip con't 56 chevy truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by 552NDSER
My dad bought a 56 cameo that has a short shifter on it in the floor. It's an "H" pattern. I don't think it's an original tranny. Does anyone know the best place to find a taller shifter ? Thanks 552NDSER
try Lokar, they have alot of different shifters at different heights with different curves for many applications.
Old 05-24-2007, 07:24 PM

Hey everybody-I'm Keith Lebo from Fairfield CT-My truck is a 55 second series-3/4 ton.

I have a post in the suspension area and Double Dick tipped me
off to this thread. Great read!

This summer I'll have my cab and frame stripped and it's time to think about
the suspension, steering, brakes. I plan to use the Toyota setup for steering. I had been thinking I was going to put in a 3" dropped axel. I've read 40 pages of this thread and will pick up again at work tomorrow. What I'm really after is the results of the mono leaf front spring or the dropped axel. Of those of you that have excuted this mod what were the results?

Looking at my truck tonight I noticed an obstacle relative to the dropped axel. If the axel is dropped any amount the leaf springs will be resting on the tie rod. Won't clear going over the top of the springs I don't believe. Lowering the front end on this model truck using a dropped axel must have been done many many times. Anyone know how this gets resolved? Seems like the tie rod would have to have a 3" drop also. Alternatives?

Thanks,

Keith

Last edited by Slickriffs; 05-24-2007 at 07:43 PM.
Old 05-25-2007, 08:36 AM
1955 2nd series Chevy Pick Up

Last journal entry: Body work and U bolts
Last photo:

Hey Keith Can't say I can help ya but I can say hello. I would think you might have a problem with that/ Trying calling on one the manufactures and see what they have to say. I bet theu have a fix for it.

Later,
James
Old 05-25-2007, 07:18 PM
...these go to eleven

Last photo:

Hey guys, just an update...the Muncie is done! He gave us the bad parts that were in the trans before, said the problems were obvious on the parts but I don't know enough about these things to tell much. He also said he was surprised it held together like it did, if I would have gotten on it much I would have broke the case. Now it's good, and he stands by his work. If I work fast, I think I can put it back in the truck tonight.

-Matt
Old 05-25-2007, 10:15 PM

Last photo:

Matt glad you got your tranny back. Its encouraging to see a young kid like you take an interest in the classic iron.
Kim
Old 05-26-2007, 06:58 AM

Last photo:

Slickriffs I can,t find any information on drop axles anywhere.I cant even find anyone that sells them.It looks to me like if there is such a thing as a drop axle for these trucks it would bolt in on top of the springs instead of under the springs.It would need to use modern tie rod ends and they would go in from the top instead of the bottom like the stock style tie rod ends.That would allow the tie rod to go over the spring instead of under it. This is only my best guess as I have never seen one. Matt I am glad you got your transmission fixed and back in your truck.Keep on driving that truck
Old 05-26-2007, 07:38 PM

Last photo:

4 speed tranny on 56 cameo

I looked at the 4 speed tranny last night but forgot my camera. I could not find any #s on it. Will I have to remove the cover above the tranny to find #s or would they be visible from below. Does anyone know where they would be located? A general area maybe. Thanks for any info on this.
Old 05-27-2007, 10:31 AM

Last photo:

Hey guys..

I have a 59' apache, 1 ton flatbed that I'm fixing up. I put bucket seats in yesterday (along with a new stereo and ignition switch) Now, the old bench seat that was in there. Dad says it's the original seat frame and springs, just newly upholstered. It's all in good condition. One problem, I have NO idea how much to ask for it in the local papers!

I looked in the classifieds (first off to see if I should post this question in there) also to see if there were more so I could base the price on them. Any advice?

(If this is the wrong section, just point me in the right one and I'll delete this one and repost there)

L8er,
Crystal
Old 05-27-2007, 10:42 AM

Last photo:

ApacheAngel I just rebuilt the frame work and had my 58 seat reupholstered.It cost me 400$.You should be able to get $200 out of your seat.The problem is finding someone that needs one as most people put in bucket seats like you did
Old 05-27-2007, 10:52 AM

Last photo:

I got started on my windows fore the 58 yesterday.I had the usual rusted bolts that needed a chisel on the edge to get them lose but no real problems taking the glass out.The real problem so far has been relining the center post with the felt.The chrome bead is what holds the edges of the felt.It is impossible to take off and reinstall them without damaging them.LMC has this middle post already relined.If I had it to do again I would buy them already relined.Here are a couple pictures
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0303 (600 x 450).jpg
Views:	97
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	21434   Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0304 (600 x 450).jpg
Views:	103
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	21435   Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0308 (600 x 450).jpg
Views:	82
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	21436  

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.